PDA

View Full Version : TIII Collector car insurance

JasonFlood
05-28-2012, 11:24 PM
FYI I just insured my silver 92 Spirit R/T with JC Taylor collector car insurance. It's an agreed value policy so if you suffer a total loss the value that you set with the company is what they pay unlike standard insurance which goes by book value. For a $20,000 agreed value policy I'm paying $408 a year. Now there are restrictions. Those of you that drive your cars daily will not qualify but this is a very viable option for those of us that want to protect our toys properly. You will need to prove you have other cars for daily transportation and they will want a copy of your current policy and they run a DMV report on you so if you have a DUI or other major happenings you're probably not going to qualify. I spoke to 3 companies:

Hagerty: "Sorry but your car doesn't qualify because we don't think it will reach collector status"

Grundy Worldwide: said yes, but the rep seemed to be in a hurry and pissed me off so.......

JC Taylor: said yes, was pleasant, answered all of my questions and earned my business.

JC Taylor will have a booth at Carlise for those that are attending and are interested. Or you can reach them at jctaylor.com. FWIW the isurance company is actually Foremost who is owned by Farmers who is owned by Zurich so I feel comfortable with them.

Grundy Worlwide is Chubb

bobconan
05-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Does this also cover your liability or is it strictly a collision policy?

RoadWarrior222
05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Hagerty: "Sorry but your car doesn't qualify because we don't think it will reach collector status"

Do they mean, they don't think you'll "keep it up" and have it in collector condition, or do they mean that R/Ts will neverever be collectable..

bobconan
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
R/Ts will neverever be collectable..

I spit in their general direction......

Lotashelbys
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Lol ya I mean the production numbers of these cars are less then most other collectable production cars out there but that dont mean anything.....

Turbo3Iroc
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Most collector insurance companies simply aren't interested in our cars. Most of them do not present a value high enough for them to consider viable. Another stipulation many require is the cars be 20 years old. In years past this was an issue but now nearly all of them qualify.

I have my GLHS with American Collectors Insurance. It is pretty cheap and I would recommend them to anyone. I chose to not insure my Daytona on this type of policy because they want stock cars and specify no racing.

RoadWarrior222
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
They're worried about insuring low buck "rolling restos" that never get beyond primer, and are effectively beater cruisers or rat roddish.... they claim they'll take "ordinary" cars in exceptional condition with low mileage... bit insulting with what they seem to be practically calling out for here... http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66065-Hagerty-list-of-Threatened-Endangered-and-extinct-cars&highlight=hagerty
If they are really set against R/Ts in general, or just don't like yours in particular, maybe due to mileage, lack of restoration to concours condition or whatever.

superbleu
05-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Hagerty insures all of my fwd car's except my 89 LeBaron GT which is my summer driver. They kinda balked at first but since my home town is just south of Traverse City I dropped by one day when back home. Armed with production numbers and statistics, not to mention I have older cars with them, they soon were all on board. I think the thing is alot of these cars are not something they know about. I know the agent I talked to was "amazed" at the production numbers on the VNTs. They have never given me a problem since then adding cars. Just put on 87 GLHS no questions...emailed proof of insurance that day.

Dan

fishcleaner
05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
$400 seams high, I have my '70 300 convertible and my omni for less than that with grundy

JasonFlood
05-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Does this also cover your liability or is it strictly a collision policy?

Liability is mandatory in NY

Comprehensive and collision is optional as long as there is no lein holder. The policy was for both with a $250.00 ded and it's their "modified" policy not antique.

I went with Progressive online just to get coverage and plates until this was finalized and it was $91 a month for everything. Needless to say I dropped Flo as soon as the new policy was in place and only had to pay for about 9 days of Progressive.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

$400 seams high, I have my '70 300 convertible and my omni for less than that with grundy

Keep in mind every state has a different rate schedule. My uncle is an insurance agent and he said there are literally 60+ variables in determining car insurance rates. Also, when you insure more than 1 car you're only paying for the liability portion of the policy 1 time because they figure you can only drive one car at a time

RoadWarrior222
05-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Also, when you insure more than 1 car you're only paying for the liability portion of the policy 1 time because they figure you can only drive one car at a time
The scum sucking bastards up here don't figure it that way. :(

turbo84voyager
05-30-2012, 08:59 AM
I have american collectors insurance for both my 84 turbo van and my 91 shadow convertible. They didnt give me any problems. I had to submit photo's and the agreed value at that time was 8K each. The agreed value has gone up and it is about 10K each. I also upped my insurance from 100K to 300K coverage. I dont remember the exact mileage restriction but 5K keep comming to my mind for some reason. I dont pay attention to it because ive been busy so im lucky if I put 1K a year on them. As for price i just payed it and for this coverage ( both cars) I paid about $280 for the year, which is hard to beat considering I was paying a lot more for regular insurance with just liability.

JasonFlood
05-30-2012, 09:23 AM
The scum sucking bastards up here don't figure it that way. :(

I was speaking strickly of collector car insurance. If you have regular insurance they WILL charge you every way they can. My truck and my car cost me $3780 a year because they are used in my business and are insured under a commercial auto policy. You think personal lines policies are exprensive just wait till you are a business!!

contraption22
05-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Collectability is more about desirability than rarity.

In 1971, there were fewer Slant 6/Auto Barracudas built than there were Hemi/4-speeds. Guess which combo is worth more.

Kryp2nitE
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Collectability is more about desirability than rarity.

In 1971, there were fewer Slant 6/Auto Barracudas built than there were Hemi/4-speeds. Guess which combo is worth more.

I would be interested to see any 71 "Barracuda"s =P they were all 'cuda by then

contraption22
05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I would be interested to see any 71 "Barracuda"s =P they were all 'cuda by then

Everything I have read says that "'cuda" was the name reserved for performance models. Lower models were still called Barracudas.

Kryp2nitE
05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Everything I have read says that "'cuda" was the name reserved for performance models. Lower models were still called Barracudas.

Allpar seems to agree with you! I stand corrected

superbleu
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Speaking of Cuda' vs Barracuda I remember when 1970's turned 25, you could get "collector" insurance on Cuda's but not Barracuda's even the 383-4 Barracudas, exactlty the same car, just a vin difference. ...Same thing were fighting now, ignorance by the insurance companys.

JasonFlood
05-30-2012, 05:00 PM
When I sent in my application with the pictures of the car I just printed Depsey Bowlings web page with Spirit R/T pruduction information on it and highlighted the pertinent information relating to my car and the number produced. 2 days later there was an insurance card on my fax machine.