PDA

View Full Version : Rod knock...

Una
01-04-2006, 01:08 AM
So I finally got around to rippin into the 2.5 in my '83 SC.. Decided to go ahead and ditch the balance shaft assembly. It seemed like it would be VERY hard to do the bearings with it in the way.. And I don't mind shaving off the weight and getting the small power increase.. Anyways.. When I pulled the pan, the BS assembly and the oil pickup tube were a glittery shiney silver color.. Very weird, TONS of metal in the oil. I pulled the cam to have a look at the cam bearings, looked like someone had put sand in there before I fired it up. Absolutely demolished.. So I swapped in a spare cam, hoping that despite the journals looking like hell, I might get away with it. The rod bearings looked horrible, but in a weird way..Like they had been just fine right up until recently went something LARGE got in there and really left a rut. The crank is just torn up big time, almost as bad as the cam, at least for cylinder 4 which seems to have been the one that was knocking, as that bearing was starting to shed metal shavings and was worse than the others. I seriously doubt the engine will be ok when I fire it back up tomorrow. Here's hoping tho...

Una
01-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh yeah.. I found the weirdest damn thing in the oil pickup.. Needle bearings?!? How on earth did needle bearings get into my oil pan? There aren't any in the engine.. The turbo is just an old T1 unit.. It shouldn't have needle bearings in it.. Only thing I can think of is the balance shaft assembly??? Weird..
Oh, and yes, I did remember to plug off the oil feed for the BS assembly.

87glhs232
01-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Wow. Water in the interior, and needle bearings in the engine. What are you doing to that poor car?

Needle bearings....WTF:confused: . Roller top ends dont use needles do they?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Hmmmmm, didn't think they were used in the BS assembly. I think Josh guessed it, there from the roller rockers.

Brian, sounds like your playing with fire, just rip it out and rebuild it, I doubt it will last a week.

Una
01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Doesn't cost me anything to try.. And I did replace the lifters, cam and followers, the top end was very noisy..

Una
01-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Mmm, fired it up and it purred like a kitten. I don't know what was up with the cam/followers/lifters that came with this head, but they made a helluva racket when I first fired up the car. Guess I should have swapped them out immediately. Anyways,with my cam, followers and lifters in there, the top end was as quiet as ever. I drove the car around the block 4 times.The knock is back. Bad head sucks, I hate it when I get bad head. Ahh well, the car will be parked for the winter, possibly longer. What a shame.

Una
01-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Maybe I can polish up that part of the crankshaft with some emery cloth, and put an oversized bearing in...? Eh, it's probably not even round anymore..

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-04-2006, 11:10 PM
is it really that difficult to do the rod bearings with the balance shaft in there? i ask because i have to do that soon on my spirit.

Una
01-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Simon said it was possible in another thread, said he had done it. I don't see how, but you can just unbolt the sprocket on the BS assembly, and slip it off by hand, so you can unbolt and remove the BS assembly, then put it back when your all done..That's what I'd do if I felt like saving them at all..
Take my advice, do your rod bearings sooner than later if your going to do them. I did them on my '88 Horizon because of low oil pressure at idle when the engine was hot.They looked bad, but the crankshaft was still really nice and shiny smooth. That bearing swap went great and I've got like 6k miles on the car since with the problem completely gone. If I had waited for a rod to start knocking, I may not have been so lucky...

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
cool. thanks.

GLHSKEN
01-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Both Simon and I have done it with shafts still in the car. Not a hard task. Just have to position the crank right to get at the bolts.

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Both Simon and I have done it with shafts still in the car. Not a hard task. Just have to position the crank right to get at the bolts.

Its a little trickier but yeah, not a big deal. I figured the time to remove and reinstall them wasn't worth it, sometimes the BS bolts are in so tight that you need to cut them out-had that happen on 2 BS assemblies, grrrrr, lol!

TrrboJeep
01-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Maybe I can polish up that part of the crankshaft with some emery cloth, and put an oversized bearing in...? Eh, it's probably not even round anymore..
What you need is a can of Marvel's Mystry oil... all will be good! :eyebrows:
That stinks Brian. I'd be tempted to try the oversized bearing thing myself. :bolt:

deuce dodge
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
nasty needle beaings come from roller rockers...my son :MOTORXPLODER" threw/cracked a few rockers every week until i yanked em and put in new lifters..cam was a weirdo narrow lobe wimpy lift joke....pulled it and threw in 88 tbi.......found needles on the head and in oil pan..sweet....ran a magnet thru and cleaned what we could.........and gambled and won putting it all back together........

car has run and raced for 6 months since.......daily driver....

deuce

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-07-2006, 03:38 PM
does somthing have to be done withe the 2.5 oil pan and oil pick up when the bs is removed?

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2006, 05:09 PM
does somthing have to be done withe the 2.5 oil pan and oil pick up when the bs is removed?

Yes, you should run a windage tray to stop oil starvation on heavy acceleration and braking.

Una
01-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Or swap on a 2.2L oil pan/pickup..

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-26-2006, 07:42 PM
is it possable to just cut the bs chain and keep the assembly in there?

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Thats more than fine.

UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE
01-26-2006, 07:59 PM
cool. i might do that if i can get it out. so i dont have to do a 2.2 pan. its just a daily driver. if i do keep it. how easily does the chain unbolt?

deuce dodge
01-26-2006, 08:06 PM
UNA

where you located at...........???

will be happy to donate a 2.5 cb crank....free......(needs slight emery maybe).

pm me :)

deuce

Moparbishi
01-26-2006, 09:29 PM
well you need to cut the chain. or you have to take the crank pully and gear off and take th 3 E8 bolts out that hole the crank gear sn the gear on the bs itself. or simply cut the chain and be done.

cordes
01-26-2006, 11:19 PM
well you need to cut the chain. or you have to take the crank pully and gear off and take th 3 E8 bolts out that hole the crank gear sn the gear on the bs itself. or simply cut the chain and be done.

+1 I just cut the chain with some bolt cutters, and left the assy in.