PDA

View Full Version : Wondering

slamer283
05-26-2012, 01:45 PM
How much would it cost to rebuild the botom end on a 85 2.2 turbo? The top end is rebuilt.. but i want to do the bottom and restore all lines and mabey put a better turbo on there. Any estiments?

135sohc
05-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Place that did mine it was $50 polish/recondition the crank, $100 to bore/hone the block. Another $20 to tank the block and maybe $20 for the freeze plugs and install them and hang the pistons on the rods (pressed pin). That was really on the low end because overall he charged $600 for the entire engine machining bill and that included the engine kit (sealed power cast pistons), new valve guides, grind the valves and skim cut the cylinder head. It was cheap overall because he took 3 months to complete the job and kinda felt guilty for taking so long... If you can do the tear down and reassembly yourself and just putting regular cast replacement pistons back in. That will really keep the cost down.

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2012, 02:50 PM
What are your goals? That will decide how much the bottom end is going to cost. Alot of us highly recommend forged pistons as they can take abuse so much better but your looking at $500 a set for those with rings.

Rods are probably around $40 each to recondition and yours are desirable. I like to get things balanced so that's another $100 or so. You should retap your block for 11mm head bolts and if your going to turn it up big time, consider getting an 89 and up block, they are stronger.

Next is your clutch, if your turning it up, a stocker won't last long but goes back to my first question, what are you looking for, power wise.

Turbo, that's a whole nother kettle of fish, you can spend hundreds or $1000's and of course, you should run an IC plus some turbo's require alot of modifications to fit. Then are your injectors too small, fuel pump weak, changing it to the later one piece intake which really is a must if upgrading the turbo and your computer calibration.

Our vendors have a nice replacement line kit, www.turbosunleashed.com or www.fwdperformance.com

Yes, this sounds scary what I've listed but better to do this than you start into this and bail because it spiraled out of control.

I highly recommend going to www.thedodgegarage.com and spending a few hours reading.

If I was you, I'd do a stock rebuild, have the head cleaned up, switch to the later one piece intake setup, put a decent exhaust on, IC and drive it. You already have a good turbo, so that's a bonus, :thumb:

slamer283
05-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Okay thanks guys! I think i will probably do the stock rebuild because I am only 16 and dont have much driving experience. I was just thinking about keeping it relativily stock for a while. So how much would a stock rebuild cost roughly?

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2012, 09:55 PM
What's wrong with it now?

Stock rebuild should set you back $600-$1000.

slamer283
05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Well, the car has 163,000 on it and hasnt been touched in years. rebuilt the top end, and now just wanna go through the bottom end and see if i need anything fixed, or replaced. Just to be sure, because this is my daily driver.

Turbo3Iroc
05-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Is the engine still assembled? Do a compressipn check and see if the rings show wear. If it comes out good, I'd leave it.

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2012, 11:43 PM
What ^^^^ he said, do a compression and leak down test, if ok, its not knocking and has good oil pressure, leave it alone.

Orangetona
05-27-2012, 09:56 AM
I agree too...they can last a looooong time on stock power