PDA

View Full Version : TIII smoking, and blew out a freeze out plug help please!

91RT
05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
so i recently got my turbo rebuilt and got my head pressure tested, they came back i put it all back together and it drove it, i was getting a lot of smoke from the exhaust. no idea why pcv is good, plugs are fine, no sign of oil in down pipe or intercooler piping. the car is only boosting to 6 psi instead of 11 like before, and now today i drove it and got on it and i blew a freeze out plug out of the rear middle of the block. can anyone help me figure out why this stuff is happening????

thanks,
mike

turbovanmanČ
05-22-2012, 05:13 PM
The rear frost plug seems to be common, its mostly due to corrosion. I would inspect the others and make sure they aren't rotted.

Boost? Could be many things, like incorrect routing, maybe the can got weak. Hook it up to manifold vacuum, you should get around 4-5 psi.

Smoke, pull the plugs, if they are clean, its the turbo or exhaust guides, if half covered, valve seals, if fully covered, rings.

91RT
05-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Plugs are clean, the freeze plugs were new ones

85boostbox
05-22-2012, 10:13 PM
My guess is that your freeze plug was leaking on your downpipe making it seem like it is coming out of your exhaust. I say replace the freeze plug and go from there.