PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump doesn't prime, no power loss light

Shadowjake
05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
I turned the ignition to run after rebuilding the car, just to see if the pump was working (just poured 5 gallons of fresh premium in the tank). No humm from the pump.

So I was thinking it was the ASD relay. I looked up some troubleshooting info and read that by grounding the Blue/yellow wire on the diagnostic port it will bypass the ASD relay. Sure enough, the pump ran and pumped fuel.

So since I thought I had it figured out, I ran out and got a new ASD relay and installed it. Same problem! Then I realized that there was no power loss light on the dash lit up . . . which leads me to believe it's the cal. Not sure if it would be the chip or the SBEC itself (see this thread):

Did I ruin my SBEC (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?61194-Did-I-ruin-my-SBEC&highlight=)

(keep in mind, I haven't even tried to crank it. Would a HEP signal while cranking fix this? Maybe I'm jumping the gun.)

cordes
05-22-2012, 10:11 AM
IMO it's almost certainly a problem with your board. Sorry to see that this happened to you. I always cut the pins off right where they meet the chip. You were doing right in attempting to remove the pins that way though. In my experience the potting compound acts as a bit of a heat sink and makes removing the chip very difficult unless you get all of it out from where the chip was. The only way to do that is to cut the chip out first.

Shadowjake
05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the input Cordes. So if I were to need a new SBEC and plan to socket it and use the cal I already have from boost button, what year SBEC am I restricted to? Does it have to be from a VNT or a specific year range?

cordes
05-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Any 90-91 turbo SBEC will do. It does not need to be TIV specific.

Shadowjake
05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Yup. Definitely the SBEC. It makes a high pitched squeal when power is applied to it. I am pretty sure it is what was making my tach go crazy too since I put the spare cluster in and it does the same thing. If I flex the SBEC board the pitch of the squeal changes and the tach seems to follow. Time for a new one.

I'm checking with Rob Lloyd and plan to put in a "wanted" ad in that forum section but if any of you can help me out with getting one (socketed preferably), please let me know. I am hoping to bring the CSX to its first show on June 2nd which is just over a week and a half away!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jake

speedfreek500
05-23-2012, 12:21 AM
The problem i had was a bad cal in the Lm, swaped out to a new Lm and it got spark and fuel pump prime.