PDA

View Full Version : Lets list crappy exhaust cutouts here.

turbovanmanČ
05-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Drag racing Sat night, mine decided to melt the motor and luckily its half open. :banghead:

QTP 3.5" oval, I just emailed them.

cordes
05-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Why not list the good ones? Aaron posted which ones he uses a little while back. I would get one of those if I get one.

bakes
05-20-2012, 11:46 PM
did it melt from heat from the exhaust or from the motor bing supply voltage all the time to keep it open????

turbovanmanČ
05-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Why not list the good ones? Aaron posted which ones he uses a little while back. I would get one of those if I get one.

If we list the crappy ones or one's we are using and fail, then people know to stay away. QTP is supposed to be a good one.

did it melt from heat from the exhaust or from the motor bing supply voltage all the time to keep it open????

I think the motor got hot from the exhaust flow thru the cut out, :( Once you open it, there is no more voltage, think power window motor.

ATaylorRacing
05-22-2012, 06:39 PM
I used one of these MANY years ago....it is cast iron and the flap blew out on it. In a pinch I used regular coke can cut in half and water clamped it over the section that was stuck open. The coke cans kept melting so the only way to make them last was to stabbing a bunch of holes in the bottom of the can so the heat would not go nuclear. I had gotten mine from JCW back then.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-5424/

turbovanmanČ
05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Old school for sure, :nod:

Well so far, nothing back, I'll call them tomorrow.

Rrider
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Dang I got one of those cast iron ones hoping the stone age tech would be fail safe..

RoadWarrior222
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Slather it with muffler cement, when that burns off, do it again.

bakes
05-22-2012, 10:49 PM
ARE you related to RED GREEN????

RoadWarrior222
05-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Does it sound less ghetto if I phrase it: "Use an ablative ceramic coating like the tiles used for re-rentry on the space shuttle, perform a coating procedure with muffler cement."

wallace
05-23-2012, 08:05 AM
No one uses a manual cutout?

RoadWarrior222
05-23-2012, 08:50 AM
I think they want to rig it to automatic operation...

Use a manual and a beefy actuator, like a hydraulic cylinder spliced into a power steering line with an electric actuated valve, should be quick actuating.

shadow88
05-23-2012, 10:11 AM
It's rarely a matter of time to open and close. Usually the e-cut outs leak a little when closed or flat out die.

I've never tried the doug's header design, but it think it has a better chance of outlasting the current designs, which all seem to suck in their own special way.

22shelby
05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
"remember if the women dont find you handsome, they should atleast find you handy" .... ive always used the manual cutouts... SS with a 3 bolt flange and 3 ss wing nuts... NEVER had a problem... yeah got to go under the car to open it, but i wont have to worry about shtuff blowing out on me :P

turbovanmanČ
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
It's rarely a matter of time to open and close. Usually the e-cut outs leak a little when closed or flat out die.

I've never tried the doug's header design, but it think it has a better chance of outlasting the current designs, which all seem to suck in their own special way.

Its a good design but stupid expensive. Hopefully with time, the price will drop.

"remember if the women dont find you handsome, they should atleast find you handy" .... ive always used the manual cutouts... SS with a 3 bolt flange and 3 ss wing nuts... NEVER had a problem... yeah got to go under the car to open it, but i wont have to worry about shtuff blowing out on me :P

Yeah, I am lazy, :p

shadow88
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Its a good design but stupid expensive. Hopefully with time, the price will drop.

You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

turbovanmanČ
05-23-2012, 02:26 PM
You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

Well its unproven so your really paying to do their R@D until its been out for a few years, :eyebrows:

wallace
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Never heard that saying before...but I like it. Hard to beat the manual ones for reliability.....how many folks take their car to the track and never jack it up?

J&H Ryan
05-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I have a QTP, good thing I decided to do full 3" with an interchangable muffler/test pipe.

22shelby
05-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Never heard that saying before...but I like it.

its a qutoe from the red Green show, which was mentioned earlier.... if you want a laugh...youtube red green show

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

here sorry to thread Jack but wallace needs to see this one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WjgrrcjvQ&feature=relmfu

turbovanmanČ
05-23-2012, 08:29 PM
That was awesome, :nod:

22shelby
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
dude i was rolling when he hit the rear door and the front fell off!!! classic sketch comedy!!

getting back on topic... wasnt there someone on eher fooling arounfd with using a Throttle Body ans a cutout opening??? what ever happend with that?? im guessing the project was scrapped?

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2012, 12:06 AM
dude i was rolling when he hit the rear door and the front fell off!!! classic sketch comedy!!

getting back on topic... wasnt there someone on eher fooling arounfd with using a Throttle Body ans a cutout opening??? what ever happend with that?? im guessing the project was scrapped?

He is quite happy with it, the thread is still fresh.

wallace
05-24-2012, 07:17 AM
its a qutoe from the red Green show, which was mentioned earlier.... if you want a laugh...youtube red green show

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

here sorry to thread Jack but wallace needs to see this one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WjgrrcjvQ&feature=relmfu

lol!!

RoadWarrior222
05-24-2012, 07:53 AM
getting back on topic... wasnt there someone on eher fooling arounfd with using a Throttle Body ans a cutout opening??? what ever happend with that?? im guessing the project was scrapped?Seems the keys to success with that are i) have a tight TB in the first place, some of those ford ones are leaky horrible pieces in the intended app, so start with a sucky one and you'll be unhappy and ii) remove any plastic bits, i.e. bushings and replace them with brass or similar.

8valves
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
DMB all the way. :)

Juggy
05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
who needs a cutout, just drop the damn exhaust from the downpipe!!! my whole exhaust comes off in 4 bolts and 10 minutes (its over axle 3" with muffler too)

8valves
05-24-2012, 11:07 AM
who needs a cutout, just drop the damn exhaust from the downpipe!!! my whole exhaust comes off in 4 bolts and 10 minutes (its over axle 3" with muffler too)

If you had one on your car, you would understand why. :)

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2012, 12:53 PM

10 mins, are you on glue? So you you've just driven 40 km's, waited in line, its stinking hot and your going to mess with dropping the exhaust while getting ready for tech and trying not to miss the first race? No thanks.

If you had one on your car, you would understand why. :)

Exactly, :nod:

While I figure out what to do, I made a plate and will weld the bolts onto the back side so I can remove the plate when I jack it up for the slicks.

DMB all the way. :)

I'll check it out but me thinks going to have to rob a bank, lol.

Keito
05-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Summit Racing has their own brand, haven't heard anyone using one yet.
I welded a header extension to my SRT-4 downpipe and made a cover for it.
Obviously I have to wait a few minutes to remove the cover when I get to the track
but it's not that bad.
I had to take 2 2x6's like 12" long and screw them together so I could drive the drivers side wheel
on so I could fit underneath to remove the cover.
The more I think about it, it sure would be nice to just flip a switch.:o

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Summit Racing has their own brand, haven't heard anyone using one yet.
I welded a header extension to my SRT-4 downpipe and made a cover for it.
Obviously I have to wait a few minutes to remove the cover when I get to the track
but it's not that bad.
I had to take 2 2x6's like 12" long and screw them together so I could drive the drivers side wheel
on so I could fit underneath to remove the cover.
The more I think about it, it sure would be nice to just flip a switch.:o

It was, I'd go thru tech all quiet, then after we get called, I'd open it up so I was noisey in the staging lanes, then after the run, close it a bit so my teeth don't rattle, :lol:

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Just checked out the DMH site, they are very reasonable, but I need to sell some stuff before I can buy one.

8valves
05-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Just checked out the DMH site, they are very reasonable, but I need to sell some stuff before I can buy one.

What, does everything I do = $$!? Haha! And I just realized I said DMB... that's a band, sorry.

Yeah, the DMH stuff is super nice quality, and the guy stands up behind is warranty all the way. That's hard to argue with.

shackwrrr
05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Why not a cable actuated one designed like the electric ones. Wouldn't take much to pick up a fried used one and make a bracket.

RoadWarrior222
05-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Or just remote the motor away from heat.

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2012, 08:04 PM
What, does everything I do = $$!? Haha!

Yes, :banghead: :lol:

Ondonti
05-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Apparently few people here have met the Police.

RoadWarrior222
05-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah, 'coz they're 2s in the quarter faster than a crown vic with an open cutout :D

rx2mazda
05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
my qtp lasted years...then I sold it still functioning.

turbovanmanČ
05-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Well they have crappy customer service, its been a week and no email back, so I'll call them Monday, get a new motor, sell it and get a DMH.

turboshad
05-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I personally use a BadlanzHPE cut out. The wires were too thing and kept breaking so I changed those but it has otherwise been good. I bent the plate a few times from some backfires so I just replaced that but I can't really blame that on the quality of the part.

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Badlanz looks like a good unit too and 5 year warranty IIRC.

Rrider
06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
This apexi looks high-quality, close tolerance, and simple cable actuated design. No electrical bits.

http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=APX-155-A021

turbovanmanČ
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Damn, $170 for a manual unit, ouch.

Punish'nRice
06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Yeah! That's a tad high for a manual unit. They are really proud of that thing.