PDA

View Full Version : Alternative distributer cap?

Tony Hanna
08-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Anybody know if there's a distributer cap made that will fit our cars and has normal (either male or female) connections instead of using the ends of the plug wires as the contacts?
Thanks,

turbovanmanČ
08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
None that I know of but JT aka Bassperformance is using a ford cap and I believe a ford distributor also. Give him a ring!

Any reason why your looking?

shmedley
08-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Most standalone systems like to use a phord distributor with out botton end on them.

Mario
08-07-2006, 08:28 PM
None that I know of but JT aka Bassperformance is using a ford cap and I believe a ford distributor also. Give him a ring!

Damn. JT has a fishing company now?

puppet
08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
BassPerformance sounds better than CrappiePerformance :P

Tony Hanna
08-07-2006, 10:24 PM

Just figured it'd open up some possibilities for plug wires instead of being limited in selection. Personally I'm running 8mm Accel wires, but I had to build them myself using the ends from a set of crappy autozone wires.
Seems to me like a cap with normal terminals would be the way to go.

cordes
08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Just figured it'd open up some possibilities for plug wires instead of being limited in selection. Personally I'm running 8mm Accel wires, but I had to build them myself using the ends from a set of crappy autozone wires.
Seems to me like a cap with normal terminals would be the way to go.

Although I think to the old saying "if it aint broke..." yet I would love to have some "normal" wires available.

Tony Hanna
08-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Although I think to the old saying "if it aint broke..." yet I would love to have some "normal" wires available.

Me too. What companys actually make direct-fit 8mm or larger wires for our cars and how much do they cost? I bet being a specialty item they're pretty expensive. On the other hand, if you had a distributer cap with normal terminals, you could buy a set of the custom diy wires that you cut to fit and assemble yourself. I bet you could buy a set of v8 wires and build 2 sets for a TD for less than the price of a single set of direct fit wires. I may be wrong though.

cordes
08-07-2006, 11:07 PM
The only ones that I am aware of are the magnacores, and they are pricy for sure.

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Accel wires are junk. I only run and sell Aurora wires, best on the market and cheaper than Magnacores. There a true 8.5mm spiro core wire and I have a set on my van for 3 years and the spades aren't worn. If you do happen to wear them out, Aurora will give you new ones for free, :thumb:

Tony Hanna
08-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Accel wires are junk. I only run and sell Aurora wires, best on the market and cheaper than Magnacores. There a true 8.5mm spiro core wire and I have a set on my van for 3 years and the spades aren't worn. If you do happen to wear them out, Aurora will give you new ones for free, :thumb:

Yeah, given another option I wouldn't be running them but they're still better than the crappy stock replacement wires that were on it. I'd rather be running some of the big MSD wires or something similar. I had an unused set for a vehicle I'll never own though so they were free other than the time and effort to cut the wires to length and crimp the spades on.
I've got a friend that's the manager of an Advance Auto Parts store in Parkersburg. The next time I'm up that way, I'm going to see if he'll let me look through the distributer caps. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one that's a direct bolt-on with a normal set of terminals.

WVRampage
08-08-2006, 01:02 AM
I was thinking that some were I saw a VW cap that was real close to ours and MSD made one for the VW so that would open up alot of posibilitys.

Tony Hanna
08-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I was thinking that some were I saw a VW cap that was real close to ours and MSD made one for the VW so that would open up alot of posibilitys.

Cool! Do you know what model VW used this cap? I'll look into that first before I start randomly opening boxes at the parts store.
Thanks,

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2006, 01:21 AM
MSD's are ok, only 8mm but crappy workmanship, the spark plug terminals don't stay on the wire, :censored:

WVRampage
08-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Cool! Do you know what model VW used this cap? I'll look into that first before I start randomly opening boxes at the parts store.
Thanks,
The old pan motors from what I remeber.

Tony Hanna
08-08-2006, 03:27 AM
The old pan motors from what I remeber.

Cool. I'll look into that first then.
Thanks,

mcsvt
08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Just for reference on the VW cap, my 61 Beetle had the clips, no screws. But you can get them in cool colors and clear really easily :)

ssheen
08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Just to throw it out there; you can by a box of wire ends for a couple of $. If you are worried about ends wearing out and needing to buy a new set of wires to replace the ends.

Tony Hanna
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Just for reference on the VW cap, my 61 Beetle had the clips, no screws. But you can get them in cool colors and clear really easily :)

Hmm. A clear cap on a TD would be pretty neat. Especially since the distributer is right out in front where you can see it well.:)

Tony Hanna
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Just to throw it out there; you can by a box of wire ends for a couple of $. If you are worried about ends wearing out and needing to buy a new set of wires to replace the ends.

Where do you get them? That would be handy, but you run into problems using the stock size wire ends on anything much over 8mm. They're not quite big enough to clamp around the wire good and the wire ends up pulling out.
Thanks,

Dominic
08-08-2006, 11:55 AM

Hey Simon,

Where do you get those Aurora wires?? Had my parts guy look em up and could find them. Help a Canuckian brother out, won't 'cha??

turbovanmanČ
08-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey Simon,

Where do you get those Aurora wires?? Had my parts guy look em up and could find them. Help a Canuckian brother out, won't 'cha??

Me or get them online, I'll dig up the web address.

zin
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Hmm. A clear cap on a TD would be pretty neat. Especially since the distributer is right out in front where you can see it well.:)

I agree, and if it's a bolt in (or close to it), I'll be making that change myself! If that won't work, I always thought that making some inserts to take the place of the dist. side of the wire with a HEI style nipple on the other side would be a way to go and not have to hunt an alternate cap. Just my 2 cents!

Mike

ssheen
08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Where do you get them? That would be handy, but you run into problems using the stock size wire ends on anything much over 8mm. They're not quite big enough to clamp around the wire good and the wire ends up pulling out.
Thanks,

Standard Motor Products Inc. (makers of Blue Streak) - ST120 box of 10

I used these with my 8mm magnecore wires. I know a few of the local guys bought boxes and used them. Do not recall if anyone used them with bigger wire than 8mm.

Tony Hanna
08-09-2006, 03:01 AM
I agree, and if it's a bolt in (or close to it), I'll be making that change myself! If that won't work, I always thought that making some inserts to take the place of the dist. side of the wire with a HEI style nipple on the other side would be a way to go and not have to hunt an alternate cap. Just my 2 cents!

Mike
That's another good thought. Buy a pack of the ends ssheen was talking about and silversolder the hei style lugs to them...
Definately a possibility worth looking into.:thumb:

Tony Hanna
08-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Standard Motor Products Inc. (makers of Blue Streak) - ST120 box of 10

I used these with my 8mm magnecore wires. I know a few of the local guys bought boxes and used them. Do not recall if anyone used them with bigger wire than 8mm.

I'll have to look to see who carries standard around here. The little parts store back home does, so if nothing else, I'll see if they can get them.
Thanks,

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah the only thing I don't like about our distributer cap, is those spade things. I have magnacore wires going into an autostoned duralast gold cap...well the stupid cap for some reason doesn't hold onto the #3 spark plug wire....I mean the plastic inside must be worn out. Every time I pull the plug wire off the #3 plug, it comes out from the distributer too....So a setup like you guys are talking about might be nice
-Lee

Blue Iroc R/T
08-11-2006, 07:18 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=70284

We have been running Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2mm Spiral Wound Wires (on our 2.5 Turbos) from Summit Racing. Come in Red, Blue or Black. $33.99 Come with the correct connectors already attached.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TAY%2D84670&N=700+4294908110+4294924927+4294907879+4294840072+ 115&autoview=sku

I think we have the 8mm Spiro-Pro on one vehicle.

We've had good luck with them so far (and for us, it's only a 20 minute drive to get a new set).

ssheen
08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah the only thing I don't like about our distributer cap, is those spade things. I have magnacore wires going into an autostoned duralast gold cap...well the stupid cap for some reason doesn't hold onto the #3 spark plug wire....I mean the plastic inside must be worn out. Every time I pull the plug wire off the #3 plug, it comes out from the distributer too....So a setup like you guys are talking about might be nice
-Lee

You can spread the ends apart with a couple pair of pliers so it fits tight again.

Murphy
08-11-2006, 01:29 PM
ya i had to use a screwdriver to sperate the ends so the things would fit better

Lee'sdaytona
08-11-2006, 09:02 PM
hmm...I seem to remember trying that, but I'll have to maybe spread it more next time the wire comes out...
-Lee

BIG PSI
08-11-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=70284

We have been running Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2mm Spiral Wound Wires (on our 2.5 Turbos) from Summit Racing. Come in Red, Blue or Black. $33.99 Come with the correct connectors already attached.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TAY%2D84670&N=700+4294908110+4294924927+4294907879+4294840072+ 115&autoview=sku

I think we have the 8mm Spiro-Pro on one vehicle.

We've had good luck with them so far (and for us, it's only a 20 minute drive to get a new set).

You can SPECIAL ORDER Taylor Spark Plug Wire in 8 differant colors. My son Bryan has a set done in YELLOW that we special ordered. I alos have a set of 10mm MAGNECOR wires on PAT.

Chuck

Terry Again
04-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Anyone find a dis. cap that works on a 2.2 yet?

R/T
04-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Anyone find a dis. cap that works on a 2.2 yet?

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10299

Yes.