PDA

View Full Version : Large spline clutch question

turbo84voyager
05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
I am throwing a 5spd (93 A523 large spline) in my 89 caravan and I went to order a clutch kit and to my surprise there is a different part number listed for a 91 caravan and a 91 spirit R/T. Both are for a large spline trans ( all specs listed are the same) . I am assuming the R/T one must have a stronger pressure plate. Is there any reason why I cant use R/T number? I thought they were interchangeable but it surprised me the aftermarket still makes 2 different clutches, I would have figured they would have had one. Also since this trans is from a 93 daytona I am guessing it may have had the modular clutch assembly, if it did, is there anything that would prevent me from using an earlier flywheel ( 8 bolt) and a large spline clutch? Sorry if these are dumb questions, everything else I own, rebuilt, or swapped was small spline.

Thanks,

Justin

86Shelby
05-17-2012, 09:26 AM
The main reason the RT clutch is a different number is the pressure plate is slightly smaller where it bolts to the flywheel. There isn't any harm using an R/T clutch and it would bolt right in without any fuss.

cordes
05-17-2012, 09:26 AM
There is a difference in the R/T plate due to the crank sensor if I'm not mistaken. You can use a TIII plate in a regular application, although I've heard that they are pretty much the same as the TII plates these days.

135sohc
05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
The cars had the conventional clutch setup till the very end, the minivan had the modular setup.