PDA

View Full Version : D-series trucks, couple questions

135sohc
05-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I was offered the job of doing a 'front end overhaul' on a ~roughly 88'ish~ era D-150. Just hearing it 3rd party right now so no idea how extensive we are talking on doing things. I just finished up doing the front end on my 79 B-van tuesday and while nothing was beyond my capabilities it was more involved than I thought it would be going into it. I know the basic steering and front suspension setup between the van and truck lines is similar in layout/theory of operation but not the same. I am going to talk directly w/owner and see what he wants done and certainly give the truck an inspection to see how rusty/frozen everything is before talking any timeframe/price.

Are there any 'gotcha's' on the trucks to watch out for/be aware of ? say like certain bolts/components that like to snap off/strip out and make for a nightmare to repair ? Van went easy because I sprayed everything down with penetrating oil on a daily basis for 2 months before tearing into it. Dont have that option here.

GLHS592
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM
As you stated, the trucks are pretty much the same design. I lowered my 1980 D150 last year. It wasn't too crusty. All the bolts/nuts came off with typical effort. I did remove a pair of lower control arms from an 80's B-van in the junkyard. It had some rust, but nothing major. The only issue I had was separating the steering knuckle from the lower control arm. I found that you can unbolt the lower part of the steering knuckle from the upper part (15/16" nut/bolt) and made it easier to remove. If you have a ball joint separator, it shouldn't be that bad.

Force Fed Mopar
05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Yeah the truck is pretty much the same as the van except the toe rods go the other way. If you've done a van, you've done a truck :) Don't forget that the upper ball joint screws out, they make a special socket for them.

135sohc
05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I do have the miller spx separator for breaking the balljoint studs from the knuckle and that big socket for removing the upper ball-joint already from the van.

135sohc
06-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Got to see the truck and decided to take the job. Not my first choice in chassis parts but he is going to drop the coin and atleast use moog for everything and not the no name crap.

And this thing has a carburetor on it... What was the last year before they put the TBI on these ? Very original looking underneath the hood, right down to the still present (and functional :wow1:) air pump.

Force Fed Mopar
06-04-2012, 07:10 AM
318's got TBI in '88, 360 got it in '89.

135sohc
06-14-2012, 12:30 AM
So it is a early 87 (8-86 build date). I think it sat parked under a tree for a good portion of its life, entire truck is dirty as hell and leaves worked into every crevice but really nice underneath. Some minor surface rust but wow something this old that lived its entire life up north would be swiss cheese. Owner wasnt kidding when he said it was loose in the steering, both ends of the center link had atleast 1/4" of free side-side movement in both socket joints :eek: tie rods were gone as well and the d-side balljoints were like joysticks.

Did see underneath all the oil/grease/transmission fluid mess it has a lockup 998 :eyebrows: wonder if he would notice a 727 in its place...

Will get a picture or two before it goes. Decent 'survivor' truck that with some time and effort could be really nice again.

135sohc
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Got up really early this morning and finished bleeding the brakes. Pedal feel is 100x better than before.

Since its going to be sitting here for the next 2 weeks I had to give it a bath, it was just too filthy.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_Picture076.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=Picture076.jpg)

5.2-2bbl.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/th_Picture077.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/135SoHc/?action=view&current=Picture077.jpg)