PDA

View Full Version : SRT block, possible new starter options?????

turbo84voyager
05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I have been doing quite a bit of research on other starter options when using a SRT block. Has anyone ever tried to use a 3.0 or 3.3 starter? I am asking because I borrowed a new 3.3 ND starter and IIRC 2 of the bolts lined up when I installed it as well as the nose. It cleared the oil drain except for the motor stud. It also has 10 teeth vs 9 on the bosch and 11 on the 2.2 ND. I didnt pay very close attention to the starter gear offset. I know the 9 tooth bosch is centered and the 2.2 ND is offset due to more teeth. Since it was new and I dont have a crank and flwheel I couldnt try it and I didnt think it would work due to it having 10 teeth. Well after doing more research the 3.0 and 3.3 use the same diameter flexplate / flywheel and have the same teeth number and pitch which means they should mesh correctly. Also since the nose of the starter slides into the hole on the trans it "should" line up. I also learned that there were 2 different versions atleast of the 3.0 ND starter and short and long version. The long version, I am guessing is the same length as the 2.2 starter and if that is the case, the entire starter should clear everything without any grinding to the block or starter. I also tried a 2.4 ND starter which is the newer shorter version. the 2 bolt holes line up and its 9 teeth but the pitch is different. I am going to try to grab a 3.0 and 3.3 starter next time I am at the yard and see if it all lines up. Its a long shot but if it does work it beats modifying the block and or starter. If anyone has ever tried something like this or has anything to add let me know. As for mixing parts, when I did a cummins swap in a friends F150 I used a dodge flywheel and a ford 6.0 diesel starter and the combo works fine.

Justin

turbo84voyager
06-19-2012, 06:17 PM
I was unable to get any of these starters to work without any major modifications. I ended up using the ND OSGR starter for a 2.2 as Rich described. I ground 1/2 of the bolt off in the spot near the block and the remaining on the block this way I did not have to make any special strap.