PDA

View Full Version : 85 Shelby Charger, no spark, won't flash codes

Force Fed Mopar
05-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Trying to get this '85 SC put back together. Got the engine harness back in, fixed a fusible link (apparently burned by the field wire(s) on the alternator). Turns over, but has no spark. Power Loss comes on with the key, goes out like normal after a couple seconds. But when I try to retrieve codes using the 3-key-cycle method, it doesn't flash codes, just acts the same as the first key cycles. Tried cycling it up to 10 times, acts the same, can hear the IAS motor run every time.

bakes
05-12-2012, 09:05 PM
injector ground thight?

Orangetona
05-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Is everything stock? Or does it have a cal? Also, does the fuel pump kick on? Possible ASD relay, or HEP? Are all of the PM and LM connectors nice and tight? Is the injector ground connected? Is the big ground on the side of the head connected?

I see a fault with my ground on the head comment...yeah it wont even do anything without that hooked up. Ignore that :D

bakes
05-12-2012, 09:07 PM
fuel pump can be heard?
power at the coil?
prom chip /cal burnned right?

Force Fed Mopar
05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
injector ground thight?

Hell if I know :D I'll check it. Should be, the injector harness wasn't removed as far as I saw, but you never know.

Orangetona
05-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Hell if I know :D I'll check it. Should be, the injector harness wasn't removed as far as I saw, but you never know.

They have funny ways about them lol

Force Fed Mopar
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Is everything stock? Or does it have a cal? Also, does the fuel pump kick on? Possible ASD relay, or HEP? Are all of the PM and LM connectors nice and tight? Is the injector ground connected? Is the big ground on the side of the head connected?

Bone stock. Fuel pump is fubar I think. Not sure if the ASD is working, haven't really checked. Checked the PM/LM connectors and tried another PM (a known good one). Haven't checked injector ground, big ground on the head is connected.

fuel pump can be heard?
power at the coil?
prom chip /cal burnned right?

Fuel may be dead as mentioned above. Didn't check for power at the coil yet either. LM is stock, only thing different from original is it has a MAP sensor relocation kit on it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I normally can figure stuff out, but I'm kinda burned out from a looong week right now, and couldn't find anything helpful searching.

Orangetona
05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Well even if your pump is bad, it doesnt explain why you dont have spark or cel flash. I think thats a sign of a bad ASD or PM(which was swapped out)

I could be wrong though, and it might be something dumb lol.

bakes
05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
We all get bummed out doing this thing take a Bbq and a beer then jump right back at it and it migh be just staring you in the face the whole time.
if you need more help just pm Me.

Orangetona
05-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Just to throw another out there, its possibly a fusible link TO the asd.

Theres my thoughts. :) lol

To edit: Its a white (possibly grey from discoloring) fusible link on the 2 link circuit.

cordes
05-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Jump the pump by running power to the coil. That will eliminate the FP.

If the FP is good I would swap in a known good HEP next.

After that I would be looking at the ASD which is in the PM as I'm sure you know.

Force Fed Mopar
05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Actually the ASD is on the pass inner fender isn't it?

Orangetona
05-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Nope, its in the PM. If you follow that white FL I was talking about, itll take you to it.

Force Fed Mopar
05-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Really? what's the relay on the pass inner fender then? For the fuel pump?

bakes
05-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Did the car have ac still or at one time? the cooling fan and ASD relay sould be on the driver strut tower

Force Fed Mopar
05-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah has AC.

Orangetona
05-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Hmm...not completely sure but the relays on the driver side are (left) starter (right) radiator fan. They dont have a fuel pump relay, its all run through the PM

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Did the car have ac still or at one time? the cooling fan and ASD relay sould be on the driver strut tower

Ah good call, you're right.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Jump the pump by running power to the coil. That will eliminate the FP.

If the FP is good I would swap in a known good HEP next.

After that I would be looking at the ASD which is in the PM as I'm sure you know.

Cordes, isnt it usually true if you jump power to the + on the coil and the pump runs, its the ASD or FL?

Force Fed Mopar
05-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Hot wired the coil and got spark! No fuel pump though, I think it is dead. There is a fuel pump relay, it is the one with the dark blue wire running from it. I put power directly to it, got nothing.

black86glhs
05-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Unplug the FP and see if you can get codes. If no go, pull the FP relay. If it works like normal, you can rule out the LM.

Force Fed Mopar
05-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Just finished pulling both pumps, wow, nasty old smelly gas residue :yuck: External pump is completely dead, didn't try the internal but I am assuming it is junk too. Tank is empty.

Also checked the chip part number, comes up as an '85 T1 so should be the right LM. I poured a little gas in it and turned it over w/ the coil hot-wired and it tried to fire up.

Is the FL you were talking about one of these? 39593

This is the pass side relay I am talking about: 39594

cordes
05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Hmm...not completely sure but the relays on the driver side are (left) starter (right) radiator fan. They dont have a fuel pump relay, its all run through the PM

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Ah good call, you're right.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Cordes, isnt it usually true if you jump power to the + on the coil and the pump runs, its the ASD or FL?

If the HEP is bad you won't get spark or fuel either. That's pretty much it outside of wiring issues IMO though.

Force Fed Mopar
05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
When you eliminate the external pump, you can leave the plug for it hanging right? Doesn't have to be plugged up or anything? I assume they both run off the same circuit.

bakes
05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
i would cut the plug and shink tube the wire ends put the plug in end into storage

Keito
05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Isn't the relay on the passenger tower for the AC?
I only say that because my car is non AC and it doesn't have that, the wires are hanging there though.

Orangetona
05-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Isn't the relay on the passenger tower for the AC?
I only say that because my car is non AC and it doesn't have that, the wires are hanging there though.

My post didnt show up?? I thought it was the A/C clutch relay. My car has that as well w/AC

Force Fed Mopar
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Well the parts stores all list a fuel pump relay for it.

cordes
05-14-2012, 06:45 PM

They can list whatever they want. The ASD relay is what controls the FP. It's in the PM, so that's pretty much out of the equation. It's been too long since I've had that one hooked up in my Omni so I don't recall what it does. I'm with the others that it's AC related though.

Orangetona
05-14-2012, 07:17 PM

There definitely isnt a fuel pump relay. ASD controls the whole deal. No pump or spark is pretty cut and dry ASD or HEP. Other than the possible wiring problem (fusible link being the biggest culprit) You said you had to replace an alternator FL and that would almost put me in line to say you have another bad one causing your problem.

They can list whatever they want. The ASD relay is what controls the FP. It's in the PM, so that's pretty much out of the equation. It's been too long since I've had that one hooked up in my Omni so I don't recall what it does. I'm with the others that it's AC related though.

The ASD is what shuts your car down. It cuts the fuel and spark simultaneously. Its also what energizes it. Whats your setup to delete it? Id be interested :D

cordes
05-14-2012, 08:25 PM
There definitely isnt a fuel pump relay. ASD controls the whole deal. No pump or spark is pretty cut and dry ASD or HEP. Other than the possible wiring problem (fusible link being the biggest culprit) You said you had to replace an alternator FL and that would almost put me in line to say you have another bad one causing your problem.

The ASD is what shuts your car down. It cuts the fuel and spark simultaneously. Its also what energizes it. Whats your setup to delete it? Id be interested :D

I worded that very poorly. I was talking about the mystery relay on the pass side that was in question earlier.

Force Fed Mopar
05-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Sooo... again, is it one of these?

Force Fed Mopar
05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Bump!

Force Fed Mopar
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Well all the fusible links are good. Going to check power feeds to the LM and PM later on.

Orangetona
05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Sorry I havent replied. I actually dont know the answer to your question. I cant get a good reference point from the picture. If I guessed, id say no thats not the correct batch of wires. It should only be a two wire batch.

Force Fed Mopar
05-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Sorry I havent replied. I actually dont know the answer to your question. I cant get a good reference point from the picture. If I guessed, id say no thats not the correct batch of wires. It should only be a two wire batch.

That"s the batch of fusible links that's under the master cyl area. They all check out good. Not sure where else there might be links?

Also, the large pink wire direct battery feed in the 10-way connector on the PM does not have power on it. With the key off it shows ground, with the key on it shows completely dead, no power or ground. Have power on the J2 feed (dark blue wire in the 10-way, pin 2). ASD control wire from the LM has constant power with the key on.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/pm-1985-turbo.html

Force Fed Mopar
05-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Found it! Apparently that direct feed had been repaired before and not crimped tight enough. Was wrapped up well enough in the harness that it looked like factory, started cutting the tape back to trace the wire back to the problem and found it:

All crimped up properly and heat shrinked:

Everything seems to work normally now, don't have a fuel pump hooked up but it has spark without hot wiring and flashes codes like normal.

Orangetona
05-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Very nice :) Im glad you found it. Hopefully everything falls in place now haha.

Force Fed Mopar
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah got most of it back together under the hood, pretty much just need a fuel pump now to get it running.