PDA

View Full Version : Overboost is killing me!

adrivinfool4u
04-30-2012, 10:21 PM
I know I'm a noob to playing with cals, but what else am I missing to get rid of overboost cutout? I found this in the KC...

"Q - How do you raise the overboost cutout point in T-SBEC, T-SMEC and T-LM?

A – Look for the 4 overboost constants (OverboostFuelShutoff***) in the ‘OB, Speed, and Rev Limiter’ section. Set them all to FF to completely disable overboost by either typing in the value or moving the slider all the way to the right."

Well, I've done that, and I'm still cutting out at 19 psi in 3rd every time and throwing code 45 of course. If it helps, my starting point is the T-SMEC-22-MTX_S-IV file. This is my main concern with this cal at the moment. I have changed a few other variables, and feel like I might be sneaking up on a pretty good tune for my car.

Also, since this is my first post on the subject, I'd like to thank all the guys who put the software and files together and made them available for us to play with. :thumb:

ShelGame
04-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I know I'm a noob to playing with cals, but what else am I missing to get rid of overboost cutout? I found this in the KC...

"Q - How do you raise the overboost cutout point in T-SBEC, T-SMEC and T-LM?

A – Look for the 4 overboost constants (OverboostFuelShutoff***) in the ‘OB, Speed, and Rev Limiter’ section. Set them all to FF to completely disable overboost by either typing in the value or moving the slider all the way to the right."

Well, I've done that, and I'm still cutting out at 19 psi in 3rd every time and throwing code 45 of course. If it helps, my starting point is the T-SMEC-22-MTX_S-IV file. This is my main concern with this cal at the moment. I have changed a few other variables, and feel like I might be sneaking up on a pretty good tune for my car.

Also, since this is my first post on the subject, I'd like to thank all the guys who put the software and files together and made them available for us to play with. :thumb:

All 4? If you've set all 4 to 0xff (255 decimal in MP Tune), then it shouldn't be possible to set a code 45.

adrivinfool4u
04-30-2012, 10:51 PM
OverboostFuelShutoffDisablePointFromMap Limp is at 44.100 psi.
OverboostFuelShutoffDuration is at 2.800 Sec.
OverboostFuelShutoffEnablePointFromMap Absolute is 44.100 psi.
OverboostFuelShutoffEnablePointFromMap Timer is 44.100 psi.

All four sliders are set all the way to the right. I feel sure it's something I'm doing wrong somewhere; I just can't figure out what it is.

adrivinfool4u
05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I started all over with it tonight after work. Nothing changed--still overboosting. I've tried checking and unchecking the overboosts in the scaling menu also, but nothing changes. I'm saving my changes each time before reflashing. There's nothing else that could be affecting it?

1BADVAN
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Is the map sensor working? At what boost is it hitting overboost

adrivinfool4u
05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
It's cutting out about 19-20 psi. The map is working--I am running an electric boost gauge off the map signal, and it matches up with the mechanical boost gauge I stuck in there.

ShelGame
05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I started all over with it tonight after work. Nothing changed--still overboosting. I've tried checking and unchecking the overboosts in the scaling menu also, but nothing changes. I'm saving my changes each time before reflashing. There's nothing else that could be affecting it?

Are you re-compiling each time, too? Or just saving the template?

adrivinfool4u
05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
You may have just found my noob mistake lol. I remember that screen from a few weeks ago when I was doing some reading and trying to make some AFR changes before I got my Ostrich. I'll try it out tomorrow and report back. Thanks

A.J.
05-01-2012, 11:10 PM
It's cutting out about 19-20 psi. The map is working--I am running an electric boost gauge off the map signal, and it matches up with the mechanical boost gauge I stuck in there.

You don't want to "T" off the MAP signal. I've had a few cars run like crap when I had other things tied into the MAP signal. Now I just run the MAP by itself. The line to the gauge is too long and it affects the signal to the MAP. If possible, run a dedicated line for the MAP by itself. At the most run the fuel pressure regulator on the MAP line and that's it.

A.J.

adrivinfool4u
05-02-2012, 12:08 AM
You don't want to "T" off the MAP signal. I've had a few cars run like crap when I had other things tied into the MAP signal. Now I just run the MAP by itself. The line to the gauge is too long and it affects the signal to the MAP. If possible, run a dedicated line for the MAP by itself. At the most run the fuel pressure regulator on the MAP line and that's it.

A.J.

The mechanical gauge is run off a vacuum block to the intake, not the map vacuum line. It's only there since I already had it and to double check the electric boost gauge until I trust it. I'm only using the signal wire for the map for the electrical gauge. They do register within a half a psi or so of each other is all I was saying. I didn't interrupt the map vac line, even though I may have worded that a bit vaguely.

ShelGame
05-02-2012, 08:29 AM
You may have just found my noob mistake lol. I remember that screen from a few weeks ago when I was doing some reading and trying to make some AFR changes before I got my Ostrich. I'll try it out tomorrow and report back. Thanks

MP Tune can edit either the template or the binary. If you are editing the template (source code cal data), you have to hit the 'compile' button to assemble the template to the assembly source and update the changes to the binary file. Otherwise, the binary will NOT be updated with your changes.

If you're actively tuning with an Ostrich, I'd suggest tuning on the binary file. That way, every change gets DL'd to the Ostrich. When you're all done tuning, copy your cal data to the template and build a 'fresh' binary.

adrivinfool4u
05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Okay, overboost is now fixed! Thanks a bunch for the tips and instructions. :thumb:

speedfreek500
08-31-2012, 01:25 PM
More great info for a newb like me tryn to adjust cals.

turbovanman²
08-31-2012, 02:10 PM
That compile thing bit me badly, :banghead:

speedfreek500
09-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Just to update this issue, after over 50 try's with all 4 slide's to the right it would cut out @0psi. I adjusted the slides to 29psi and left the timer at the 2.8 sec, i got boost again and set my mbc to 24psi. No issues at all with LM set this way.