PDA

View Full Version : TIII Boost Creep

chrisn
04-27-2012, 04:21 AM
I have a 92 Spirit R/T, basically stock, only known modifications are 2.5" exhaust. The boost will spike until it hits overboost shutdown. It does it with factory boost control and with a g valve. If I set the valve for the lowest setting (~8psi roughly) it will spool slower but still creep until it hits OBSD. The vacuum hoses and everything appear fine, and the wastegate isn't stuck, it seems fine. I'd go with a 3 bar cal if I could find a 92 TIII core, but no luck. Any help is appreciated.

ShelGame
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
How are you hooking up the Grainger? The TIII's used a boost control that is really just a derivative of the T1 boost control. It's a bleed-control system. To make a g-valve work, you'd need to plumb up the WG like a T2...

Vigo
04-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Run a line straight to the wastegate can with no controller. If it still creeps the can is probably leaking.

chrisn
04-28-2012, 01:56 AM
I ran a line from the compressor "nipple" to the wastegate actuator with the g valve between. I used to run the g valve and stock boost control to an extra solenoid and switch between, and it used to work. I'll try Vigo's suggestion, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks guys:)

Pat
04-28-2012, 05:46 AM
I have had multiple t3 turbos where the wastegat arm on the turbo (not e actuator) was frozen partially open. When ths happens, it wont spool particularly fast but it wont control the boost either and creeps to overboost. I have been able to free them up, it just takes some penetrant, some time and some lube.

chrisn
04-30-2012, 04:10 AM
I have had multiple t3 turbos where the wastegat arm on the turbo (not e actuator) was frozen partially open. When ths happens, it wont spool particularly fast but it wont control the boost either and creeps to overboost. I have been able to free them up, it just takes some penetrant, some time and some lube.

It doesn't seem to be frozen. It can spool fast, I just graingered it to lower it and see if it still crept (it did). The actuator can is corroded around the nipple, I suspect thats where its leaking. I ordered a new WGA.

JasonFlood
05-02-2012, 11:16 PM
My 91 only had boost creep near the top of 4th gear on the highway. Computer keepteverything between 10 and 11 psi and then around 4500 rpm in 4th gear in wanted to make 15 psi all by itself. I found this feature especially useful against LT1's. It gave them a good look at my rear license plate "FAST4DR"

chrisn
05-05-2012, 04:10 AM
I believe it, mine spools instantly at freeway speeds.

chrisn
05-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Replaced WGA with a new one. The old one did not hold pressure.