PDA

View Full Version : TIII Oil Pressure

rbrthrly900
04-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Pulling into my garage today the oil pressure just dropped... Not just a little, but the needle was bottomed out.. I shut my car off... I figured that maybe the switch came unplugged or something... There was no noise or anything... I looked under the hood to see if there was some sort of oil leak to look for... Nothing.. I looked for an unplugged connector... Nothing.. I started it back up to see if just shutting the vehicle off and then back on would fix it... LOL... No luck, still no oil pressure on the dash... The vehicle did not make any funny noises... Anything that I should look for??? The timing belt is good... Thanks..

I drive this daily so any help would be great...

Rob Harley
301-305-7242

tryingbe
04-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify oil pressure.

BadAssPerformance
04-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Do not run the engine again until you figure this out!

T-III cars have had issues with the intermediate shaft/oil pump, so you might want to look there first. Time to drop the oil pan and take a look...

If the pump goes out on a T-III it will not shut the engine off like on a 2.2L/2.5L with a distributor does cuz the distributor is keyed into the oil pump.

rbrthrly900
04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
So if I go out to the garage and drop the oil pan, what exactly will I be looking for????

GLHNSLHT2
04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
shredded gears between oil pump and intermediate shaft.

turbovanmanČ
04-22-2012, 07:25 PM
So if I go out to the garage and drop the oil pan, what exactly will I be looking for????

Check the oil pressure FIRST.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?22030-If-you-think-you-have-oil-pressure-guage-issues-read-here!!!!

rbrthrly900
04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I didnt want to start the vehicle back up to test for oil pressure as it had already ran for less than a minute on 0... Maybe 15-25 seconds... As it happened coming into my garage, and then when I started it back up... So I just ended up pulling the pan, and the pump... The pump gear, and the shaft gear are all messed up... So I am going to have to get a new one... The shaft does not look super hard to take out, is there any tricks or anything??? Any other suggestions about this pump and the shaft??? I see that Cindy has a high volume pump for like $65, and she has a shaft for like $130... Do you guys suggest that I just get those??? Or spend the $30 for a Cryo treated one... Let me know what you guys suggest..

shackwrrr
04-22-2012, 08:56 PM
I didnt want to start the vehicle back up to test for oil pressure as it had already ran for less than a minute on 0... Maybe 15-25 seconds... As it happened coming into my garage, and then when I started it back up... So I just ended up pulling the pan, and the pump... The pump gear, and the shaft gear are all messed up... So I am going to have to get a new one... The shaft does not look super hard to take out, is there any tricks or anything??? Any other suggestions about this pump and the shaft??? I see that Cindy has a high volume pump for like $65, and she has a shaft for like $130... Do you guys suggest that I just get those??? Or spend the $30 for a Cryo treated one... Let me know what you guys suggest..

Don't get a high volume pump, that is harder on the gears and doesn't help anything.

turbovanmanČ
04-22-2012, 09:59 PM
You'll probably find the int shaft bearings are toast also.

Some have still chewed up the cryo'd shaft.

As said, avoid the HV pump, harder on the teeth.

Someone has done a write up on it.

tryingbe
04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
I have a used intermediate shaft for $30 + shipping.

The key is the timing belt tension.

rbrthrly900
04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Oil Pump... Where would you guys suggest getting one from??? Rockauto???

rbrthrly900
04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
2244168 (224-4168) (http://wiki.rockauto.com/1991%20DODGE%20SPIRIT%202.2L%20L4%20Turbocharged_O il%20Pump_1098345_5564) that is the Sealed Power part number that I just ordered... With the Overnight shipping it was $90... I will be getting a shaft tomorrow I guess... I have a new timing belt already... So I will be putting that on there....

135sohc
04-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Pay close attention to the outer intermediate shaft bearing. If the bearing material is cracked up and flaking apart do not install a new oil pump/shaft without first replacing that bearing shell. That outer bearing goes to $h!t because of the timing belt tension and it ends up getting c0cked sideways wiping out the drive gears.

I have a few used takeout shafts from TBI motors if you need one in a hurry.

Juggy
04-22-2012, 11:47 PM
pull the wires off the spark plugs, heck pull those too. you can crank the engine to verify oil pressure without worry of it trying to fire....

rbrthrly900
04-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Taking the Pully off of the Int. Shaft... I made the mistake of taking the timing belt off already... WIthout having to put the belt back on is there a way to take this sucker off??? LOL.. probably a stupid question, but just curious... I am calling it a night, and I will go back to it tomorrow... If I dont go to work... Not sure....

135sohc
04-23-2012, 01:10 AM
The factory holding tool is nice.

86Shelby
04-23-2012, 01:53 AM
When the intermediate shaft and oil pump decided they would commit mutual suicide on my TIII the way I verified that was to unscrew the oil pressure sending unit/sensor, remove the spark plugs, disconnect the cam sensor(so the fuel&spark are disabled) and cranked it for a few seconds. No oil came out. Dropped the pan and sure enough the gears were stripped. Removed the shaft and those bearings in the block were shelled as well. It does help to have the timing belt on to remove the bolt that holds the i-shaft pulley on. Since yours is off already there is no need to actually time the engine, just put it on and tighten it up to help hold the pulley. It's a non-interference engine so even if the engine turns over there's no risk of bending valves.

If you know someone that works at a Chrysler dealer have them check if they have the tool to R&R those bearings; if they do see if they can take it home for an evening to do yours. I did that a few times to borrow some tools. Sometimes the service manager wanted me to pay for .5 hours labor as a rental fee of sorts; depending on the mood she was in that day.

135sohc
04-23-2012, 02:57 AM
There is a listing on fleabay right now for the two driving dies to remove/install the outer bearing.

rbrthrly900
04-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Well going to order everything up... The bearings that we are talking about... Are they also called bushings??? Because I see listings on rockauto for aux shaft bearing, and on FWDP for Intermediate Shaft Bushings.. FWDP is cheaper so I am going to get those bushings unless they are not the same thing...

rbrthrly900
04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Got everything ordered... Going to have everything on Wed. so I hope to have it running that evening... I do not have the tool for the bearings... I do not have access to one either... What should I do??? Can I just use a socket????

MNmopar
05-04-2012, 06:18 AM
So how did it go?

rbrthrly900
05-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry to not post back up... Went great, got everything replace... Thanks for everyones help... Running great... Well... LOL... I had it all running with no problems.. Drove it around Sunday for a bit with no problems... Then Monday on my way to work, No boost, and a funny sound... Some blue smoke... Got to work and looked at the turbo... It was toast... A TON of shaft play... Got a new one of those and put it back on... Now it is running great... Well one funny thing is that it idles a bit high right now... There was oil in the intake hoses, so I believe that it has gotten on the Idle air controll, so I will have to get to that and clean it up tonight or tomorrow... We shall see...

rbrthrly900
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Hey, off topic so to say... But didnt want to start a new thread... Is the AIS and the IAC the same thing??? I have always called them IAC, but I see a ton of posts about the AIS Motor...

GLHNSLHT2
05-05-2012, 06:20 PM
yes same thing.

drewboy404
12-04-2012, 01:28 PM
I know this is old, but the way i verified it, when my gauge went to crap, was installed a mechanical gauge, then removed the timing belt and turned the intermediate shaft with a drill like priming the oil pump. I did find radial play in the shaft so found the bigger journal bearing was toast