PDA

View Full Version : slick clearance

thx138
04-20-2012, 11:13 PM
What is considered to be adequate clearance between a slick and the strut? I am at about a 1/4 inch max and that seems fairly tight to me. 1/4 inch spacers? 1/2 inch spacers? I have longer studs already so the thickness of the spacer is not a stud length issue. On the 7.5 inch slicks I could get my fingers in there between the sidewall and the strut, but not now with the 8.5 inch M&H.

BadAssPerformance
04-21-2012, 12:39 AM
1/4" will rub the strut a tad, but thats how close they are on stock rimz. got pis?

thx138
04-21-2012, 01:11 AM
No pics.. The slicks are on 15x7 inch wheels with a 35 mm backspace, so just slightly wider than a stock 6.5 wheel. I guess I will pick up some1/2 inch spacers just to be safe. That will give me just over the half inch for clearance. I am just worried about a thin slick sidewall rubing and such. For a street tire I wouldn't worry as much with the stiffer sidewall.

BadAssPerformance
04-21-2012, 09:27 AM
M&H's have a wear indicator on the sidewall, the raised letters, LOL

Turbo3Iroc
04-21-2012, 10:55 AM
You only need a ~3mm spacer if anything. You're not doing a lot of hard cornering at speed to get that deflection on the top with slicks. One setup I ran netted me about 5/16" and I didn't have an issue with the 24.5" tires. Anything more than 1/4" spacer will need long wheel studs.

thx138
04-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I have longer wheel studs (after a couple of hours of swearing). How important is the hub-centric issue? By looking at the rota's the depth of the hub bore is fairly shallow. If I install 1/2 inch spacers (just the flat generic kind) I am sure I will be off the hub and the weight will all be on the studs. If I install 1/4 inch spacers I may still have some hub suspension and that should give me about a 'pinky finger' space between the sidewall and the strut. Now that is with the slicks @ 20 psi, at 10 psi they will definitatley bulge out at the bottom, but will they be bulged at the top when the tire is rotating?

As an aside the rota slipstream weigh just under 13 lbs for the 15x7.

rbryant
04-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Hub centric spacers are really just there to make sure the wheel goes on centered. If you just double check that it is square and centered on the lugs then the spacers aren't needed. They are important when making quick tire changes and you don't have time to double check things.