PDA

View Full Version : 85 Omni harness questions

me235
04-05-2012, 07:59 PM
ok, ive read, and ive found some topics on what im wanting and they seem to go both ways. I have a 85 GLH-T omni converted to turbo 2 already and also wired for 87 CSX electronics. Now my question is: my engine harness is getting old and brittle and breaking alot so i want to replace it. Which is my best route to go?? find another 85 GLH-T harness and convert it again, Build a new one, or do the minivan harness ive been reading about? thanks in advance!!

OmniLuvr
04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
how confident are you in doing wiring?

are you willing to "build" a new harness?

what are the plans for the car?

-it can be difficult to find a complete turbo l-body harness in "good" condition, but it will fit well (perfect), with a low amount of work in converting it to 87 electronics, especially if you have a harness that has already been converted to go from, and you already have the computer :)

-there seams to be more tbi omni's around to use for "part" of a "new" harness, the benifit of the smarter/faster electronics from smec/sbec computers, and a "cleaner" looking harness, but the work is exponentionally larger in the re-wiring part of the deal, and you would have to purchase a new computer. there is no "bolt in" harness for this application, so there is multiple ways to go about this, depending on how you want to do it.

did you think about re-wiring your harness? where is it brittle at?

me235
04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty comfortable, I converted it to t2 and 87 electronics originally and it was easy but I should have just replaced the harness then, the wiring in the car is just a mess to begin with, I've had the car for along time now and had the motor out a few times and just over time wires have broke and been put back together and spliced here and there that I just want to start over with it. I would really like to get away from having the computer under the hood, ive been out d the turbo dodge loop so long I don't even know if that's possible, I'm mainly looking to just clean up the engine bay and get rid of all the spliced harness I have