PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission questions, 3.0 - v6 daytona

Supershafts
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I am new to this style trans and motors, been a mopar guy for 40 years plenty of experience with all the sb's and bb's and the A,B,C and E bodies, jeeps and trucks... The G body is kinda foreign to me...

Here's the issue, the trans in the 91 has lost od and is now shifting badly so the trans is most likely done for and i stopped using it before im just stranded with no forward movement at all...

I do not believe in replacing something with the same old, instead this is the time to make improvements. . . .

I don't know what improvements are available are there better 1st gear options for this trans, a totally different trans, i don't even know wtf trans this is, if it was a 904, 727/518, 46,48 rh re or whatever RD style trans i would know what to and who to call for what. . .

This i have no clue, so basically i'd like some performance built into this trans, as of now the motor is kinda stock a little hit of n2o here and there, but i have never got around to looking for any other perf for this car, it was always slated to be converted to a sb. . . but thinking now is leave it alone and play with whats there.

So anyone know these trans and what good performance can be built into them , better 1st gear this or that....

135sohc
04-04-2012, 04:01 PM
It is a chrysler Ultradrive transmission under the designation originally of A604 then 40/41TE. It is a totally electronically controlled transmission in the sense compared to a torqueflite transmission.

chrysler made numerouse upgrades over the lifespan of the transmission. Someone like transtar sells complete kits or look online.

Supershafts
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Ok so i see they have some upgrade stuff for the clutches and in the OD unit section also to deal with increased power.

Now how would i go about finding the area that tells which trans this is.

For my cars and trucks Rick at A&A trans and Martin Saine of MSP do those transmissions, i haven't even called either of them to see if they do anything with these trans.

The diff is also part of this trans or not exactly?

xirocrtx
04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
The Diff shares the same fluid as the rest of the transmission (my opinion is they should have had a seperate sump), The 604 transmission is kind of a mild transmission that dosen't really offer much for performance. The computer will relearn the shift patterns to make them smooth no matter what. Aftermarket companys are offering diff saver kits to hold the pin in the carrier and keep it from smashing the case almost a must in the early 604s.

What is it doing exactly? Did you get it scanned yet? they had solenoid and speed sensor problems...

135sohc
04-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Differential is part of the transmission.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=A604 Like the torqueflite stuff there are lots of upgrades/changes that some can be applied to the older stuff and some of it cannot be.

Any worthwhile transmission shop should be familiar with one of these units, there are literally millions of these units out there. Minivans, midsize cars, later neons, pt cruisers ect.

Supershafts
04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
I got no engine light, just lost od and now the shifts are feeling like they're just catching, i haven't been to a trans shop yet only because i don't want to just repair/rebuild it figure i might as well upgrade if possible.

Can a different auto trans that might be better be bolted in or is the design of the rest of everything else the problem with trying that?

I know with the other bodies pretty much anything can be swapped from one to another but this G body stuff and other FWD bodies i have no clue.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

I see Sonnax does stuff for them, i deal with those guys for my driveline stuff i'll give them a call in the morning and see what advice they might have. . .

Im just looking to see what options i have before i do it and then find out i shoulda did this and changed that and did this....
Like should i change the final gear ratio, is there a 1st gear ratio change..

I know for you guys this might be old as it is to me when a new guy gets a A,B,C or E body and asks those questions, thanks for helping me

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Im gonna scan it now quick , brb in 20

turbovanmanČ
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
You have a G body.

Upgrades, there are some and Dodge basically fixed all the issues around the early/mid 2000's. You have a fully electronic trans, so as said, not much you can do as the stock computer simply compensates to keep it mushy. We have a huge thread on the computers but so far, stock or going to an aftermarket unit are your choices. I can get an upgraded clutch set and a few other odds and ends from my local trans rebuilders, they used to supply them to the PT guys who turned up the wick.

RoadWarrior222
04-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Isn't this the same symptoms as someone putting the wrong fluid in too.

xirocrtx
04-04-2012, 11:14 PM
they made a 3 speed for a 3.0. there is a little more you can do with those units but I'm unsure about fit of axles and you would have to run a b+ for the lock up. I built a crazy 3 speed for a modded t2 daytona years ago, barked 3rd it hit so hard and lockup felt like a 4th gear. I had a 3000 stall torque converter and played with my transfer gears to get a little more out of the hole. Im not sure what your computer would think when its not pluged into anything too. you would loose milage too.

Ondonti
04-06-2012, 09:59 PM
a670 is the 3 speed oldschool FWD for 3.0

What is needed to scan the transmission codes on the a604? I bought a drb2 but I don't know if it can do transmission stuff. Those codes do not come up on normal engine code things but might point out an obvious problem.

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2012, 11:31 PM
DRB should read, go into the trans part of it.