PDA

View Full Version : 85 GTS help t2 conversion

moe44688
04-01-2012, 09:32 PM
So long story short, my dad and my sister totaled our 2009 toyota camry. thankfully both are okay, with my sisters back being an exception. Now we kinda need a car. I had someone come over and help me with the T2 conversion on the GTS but we could't get it started. Heres the problem:

I swapped the computer for a new LM I bought off the forums. It has an eprom chip that has a TII al burned for it. Now the problem is when I turn the key to the run position, the fuel pump never turns on???? I triple checked and I did the wiring right but idk what could be causing this problem.

When the key is in the run position engine light is not on and its not throwing any codes. Timing was checked its right on. I don't understand why theres no fuel pressure.

I think the tune in the computer is tuned for an 88 SBEC.... its the only thing I can think of....

HELP

k heres another thing, if I hook the factory 85 computer up back to the car and the factoryy 85 map sensor, it will start but still dies after five seconds or so.....

With the new computer.... Nothing....

Maybe I need a new computer....??

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Okay so I don't think it a tune for an SBEC becuase the connectors are completely different, but I dont understand.......... What the hell could be going on....

Dony409
04-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I recently made my Daytona tII and with the tI lm hooked up it would run extremely because of differences in injectors and that cause it not to idle all that well either I then ordered a tII lm off of the forums and turns out the guy sold me a bad lm and that meant no fuel pump etc other than being super P***ed at the guy I had to go buy myself a new lm and rewire the car back. Just a thought on this what's the number on you lm you bought? I'm not to good with other cars that aren't g body's but if you post the number someone will tell you if you have the right one. And is there any corrosion on the board? That's what was wrong with mine

moe44688
04-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Ok but heres the thing, with the old the computer the car will run with old computer. Fuel pump turns on, I install the new computer and nothing. The starter engages but there is no fuel because the fuel pump doesn't engage. I tried changing the chip in the computer and it affected nothing.

tryingbe
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
If somebody burn a 88/89 SMEC program onto a chip and than put that chip into a 87 LM, the car will not start.

You need to burn a 87 LM program onto the chip with the correct off-set for the chip.

moe44688
04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
So I hooked up the TII comp with the mp cal (i tried it with the bb60 cal as well) and I unplugged the Coolant temp sensor, Fan did not turn on. So i think theres a problem with the LM.

Someone suggested I check and make sure my 85 wiring is compatible with new cal/comp but Idk what year the cal is for.

Any one have pin out diagrams for a 85 TI turbo motor??

Tbird232ci
04-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Are you using the stock 85 distributor? I can't remember why, as it's been a while since I've owned an 85, but you need the 86+ distributor and hall effect pickup. That is not likely to cause your fuel pump priming issue, but it will possibly cause a crank but no start issue.

Also, do you know which LM you have? Map on it, or no map?

moe44688
04-02-2012, 12:11 AM
There is no map on my new LM but it has custom tune MP TII and a BB60.

I'm using 86 dizzy with a new pick up and rotor and spark plugs and wires...... grr

moe44688
04-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Heres a better explanation, not my words:
"i should say also that the car doesnt throw spark or fuel when the key is on but the power loss lamp DOES flash quickly like the injectors are unplugged with the 87 t2 computer in, with NO wiring changes the car will start with the 85 dist and computer put in, the car will idle prefect but as soon as you give it gas it sputters and dies due to the wrong tps, but as far as i can tell the computers bad or the wiring wasnt done right for the 85 but the thing is why would just hooking up the 85 computer with the 85 dist put back in make it start with NO wiring mods other than unplugging the 4 wire IAC "

moe44688
04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Anyone think it could possibly be my Power Module. Someone suggested I use a power module from a 87 car.

I also talked to the guy that did my tune, he said it was for an 87 car.

Orangetona
04-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I doubt the power module matters, although ive never done a TII conversion on an 85. Only 86 and 87. Could be that the chip isnt soldered fully, plugged in all the way, or that a few wires going to the LM are loose. If it runs on the old LM, the new LM throws no codes, no fuel prime, and no spark, it could be cut and dry simple that the LM is bad.

EDIT: Did I read that you DONT have a map sensor hooked up?

Juggy
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
it sounds like there is a wiring issue. double check to make sure that you did the conversion properly.

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2012, 12:47 PM
My memory is going but I seem to remember 85 being a bastard child and it takes more than a few pin swaps to make it work.

Orangetona
04-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I know 84 is like the red headed step child but 85 should be pretty straight forward minus the distributor being different. Could be wrong, its been a while since ive read up on it lol

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I know 84 is like the red headed step child but 85 should be pretty straight forward minus the distributor being different. Could be wrong, its been a while since ive read up on it lol

Having that issue to, :banghead: :lol:

moe44688
04-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I've lost count of how many times I've checked the wires. The first time one of the wires from the mpa sensor was in the wrong position, since then I know everything is right and its quite aggrivating now. I've done the wiring and swapped the LM's back and forth about 3-4 times at the least, each time checking my previous work and checking the wiring swaps I just did multiple times.....

I feel turbovanman is right:
My memory is going but I seem to remember 85 being a bastard child and it takes more than a few pin swaps to make it work.

I already did the dizzy as well, I read the dodge garage and many other t2 conversion sites and they're not telling me anything different about the 85 TI log cars. Minimopar doesn't even have the pin out diagrams for a 85 car, but they have it for an 86......

Can anyone provide me with the pin outs for an 85 log car?

Orangetona
04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I know this is a pain but it may be worth it to you to just redo the previous owners solder job for the eprom socket. Its pretty easy to not solder them all the way. To me it just seems like this is the likely problem, or the LM is just bad. I do have a GLHS LM that would work perfect so you dont have to mess around with the MAP.

That GLHS LM is known good since it came out of the car I currently own. I drove it around for a while with it, works just fine.

EDIT: and if anyones ever done an 85 TII conversion it would be cool if you could shed some light here, because I think its exactly the same swap as 86 minus distributor.

Orangetona
04-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Just confirmed from another member that its the same minus the dizzy.

tryingbe
04-02-2012, 11:09 PM
What chip is being used? What offset are you using?

If you used the wrong offset to burn a chip and use the chip, the fuel pump will not run and car will not start.

moe44688
04-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Tryingbe I can not answer those questions since I didn't burn them :( Wish I had asked. But I'm not familiar with computers.

Orangetona: First off map is hooked up. Did all wiring BS that needed to be done with the map sensor too. Second, Sent you a PM about that LM

moe44688
04-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks to an amazing member on this forum I found a LM that I can use to see if my LM is really the problem (which I'm ALMOST SURE is the problem). opefully I can get the car on the road before next weekend.

Thanks for all the help and a huge THANKS to the member

I'll keep you guys posted :thumb:

CompetitionS
04-04-2012, 10:57 PM
I recently made my Daytona tII and with the tI lm hooked up it would run extremely because of differences in injectors and that cause it not to idle all that well either I then ordered a tII lm off of the forums and turns out the guy sold me a bad lm and that meant no fuel pump etc other than being super P***ed at the guy I had to go buy myself a new lm and rewire the car back. Just a thought on this what's the number on you lm you bought? I'm not to good with other cars that aren't g body's but if you post the number someone will tell you if you have the right one. And is there any corrosion on the board? That's what was wrong with mine

meh, this kids like 14 years old. Wouldn't take his advice.

turbovanmanČ
05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Update?