PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get enough fuel!!!

1966 dart wagon
03-31-2012, 02:26 PM
89 daytona 2.5 TII s60 turbo, walbro fuel pump, 40+s 3 bar.

I've been having fueling issues for over a year now, from replacing fpr's to fuel pumps, to changing the cals to dump fuel in, as in 9 afr, and I still get High 12s to 13s at WOT, I tested the fp and its around 45-48, disconnect vac line jumps to 55psi, shut car down it holds pressure. I also hooked a gauge up and drove down the street, car at that time was running around 40psi at idle, low right? went for a drive did some 3rd n 4th gear pulls, just going though the gears fp was at around 50psi, I went WOT and the fp raised to about 60psi at roughly 12psi, that is too low isnt it, anyways afr are still lean at high 12s most of the time.

I swapped the walbro out for a good stocker, did the same issues around high 12s afr. This morning I disconnected the fuel lines and blew compresses air though them, air blew good and just a tad bit of debris in the return line, nothing special. So screw it I replace the 40+s with stockers tII's and put in a 2 bar map, and burned shelgames STOCK 2.5 89 smec cal, STILL LEAN AT WOT. high 12s, WTF!!!! I dont get it.

Please help me out here I"m about read to drive this pile off a cliff, I just wanna drive the dam thing!!!!

Just checked codes just getting 22, cts, I'll check that out but probably got it from a couple nights ago when I also checked timing

Thanks,
Jack

1966 dart wagon
03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
While waiting I decided what the hell, I'll throw ANOTHER fuel pump in, this is a stock pump that came in the car and I never had an issue. still runs lean, high 12s to 13s, I assume the factory didnt run the cars this lean. On a positive note, the traveler MPG is up and running correctly, so one step positive.

I am out of things to do.

Tbird232ci
03-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Is your wideband sensor good?

1966 dart wagon
03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
I must have gotten ahead of myself on that, I was thinking of it, just didnt type it.

at cruise it reads 14.7 with almost every cal I've burned, and when it idles rich, I can note it on the afr and smell it, now sure of a way of verifying it. Its a zeitronix with the LCD screen

I also have an egt gauge but that is so wishy washy to me that doesnt seem to tell me much, other then hey your gonna melt pistons soon!

shackwrrr
03-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Sounds like a regulator issue, should see about 67-70 psi fuel pressure when running 12psi boost.

1966 dart wagon
03-31-2012, 06:00 PM
hmm well I have replaced it twice with new ones, the last time I swapped it for the hell of it with out any change in fp. I would like to hook a vac gauge up to the fpr and test it but cannot, it is not leaking out the vac port. I'll look into it

4 l-bodies
04-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey Jack,
You shouldn't have any debris in either feed or return line. Have you tried pinching off return line while idleing with gauge connected? It should instantanously rise as your squeezing the line. If you do this, check what your max pressure is when return line is temporarily pinched off? Is something suspect (partially clogged) with your vacuum/pressure line running to AFPR? I've seen that before. Maybe you should try running fuel in a fuel can so you can check fuel pump volume. You could have pressure yet low volume. Just went thru that with a TII rampage. How about low voltage to fuel pump? You could try running a temporary heavier gauge wire to fuel pump directly from ASD relay.
I basically have the same motor in my 89 Shadow. I'm still running stock fuel pump and have plenty of volume for the 17 PSI boost I'm currently running.
Todd

1966 dart wagon
04-01-2012, 10:33 AM
With the walbro in the car I did have it running and then pinch the return line it would rocket up over a 100psi, max the gauge. I'm going to blow out the vac line just for the hell of it, i've had an issue with a map like that. Not a bad idea to run the fuel pump and see what kinda volume it is pushing, any idea how to see whats normal vs low? As far as wiring I've already wired it for a relay it has 10g wires going too and from it via battery power, so while running 14v's or so.

Thanks for the suggestions Todd!

-Jack

1966 dart wagon
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Does anyone know the volume specs on a stock fuel pump??? I'd love to test this but dont know what is normal.

Thanks,
Jack