PDA

View Full Version : 90 Daytona Odometer - Stopped Calculating Mileage

85shelbycharger
03-27-2012, 02:06 PM
What's up everyone? The odometer in my '90 Daytona Shelby stopped working last year right before I put it into winter storage (Speedometer works fine, just isn't calculating mileage). I want to fix this before getting the car back out for spring. I know this has to do with the plastic gear in the actual gauge, because I remember looking through a thread about this same issue about 5 months ago (I did a search now and can't seem to find it though...). In this thread, there was a link to a company who sells replacement gears. The thread also showed pictuers of the steps needed to take, in order to fix the problem. Does anybody have that link? For either the company selling the gear or the link to the thread? Any help is appreciated!

135sohc
03-27-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.odometergears.com/index.php

Lee'sdaytona
03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I know the 87-89 gages were notorious for this, but I thought the problem was fixed with the new 1990 gage. guess not.
-Lee

89FerrariShelby
03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
I love it...my car hasn't driven a mile in years!!! lol...

135sohc
03-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I know the 87-89 gages were notorious for this, but I thought the problem was fixed with the new 1990 gage. guess not.
-Lee

One of the reasons they like to break is when someone resets the trip odometer while the car is moving, it jams up and can break those gears. Atleast thats always been the story I've been told forever and a day now.

spirit1991
03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Thats the story Ive been told too. But upon taking them apart to replace the gears ive found thats untrue. The original(usually blue) gears a very fragile from age. And any added stress(reseting the trip, under any condion)breaks a tooth or two off. They usually stay in the gears mesh with the tiny bit of grease there is, jamming the mechanism. In the spirit body the odo changed for the '92 MY, with no visible gap between the numbers. Youtube the odo gear replacement procedure. VERY helpful.

Dodge Aries K
03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Any car with a VDO built cluster suffers from this. Volvo's, Chryslers, etc. VDO sucks!