PDA

View Full Version : I think my 4.7 s**t the bed :,(

Dony409
03-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Checked the oil today and now symptomless I haw about 1" up past full on the dipstick and it's slightly milky:,( but the odd part is it seems like alot off coolant to be only a little milky unless its not coolant :,( there was no substantial pressure at the cap when the truck was run for a couple minutes ad there's no white smoke at the exhaust and it runs fine? Please help me out I don't have the money to tear this down to find out what wrong. Just to put us all on the same level... I'm mechanically inclined and on a super tight budget

shadow88
03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Coolant pressure tests don't cost much.
Are we assuming the oil was at the correct level before hand?
These engines were bad for condensation under the oil fill cap. The TSB was to add a baffle so the customer doesn't see the condensation, not to correct it. It seems to be related to engines that only see short drives.

Personally, I would correct the oil level and go from there. Draining oil is pretty cheap.

Dony409
03-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't think I could have gained this much **nothing** so I really don't want to drain oil out. Yes I have seen the condensation... Yes the oil was at the top line before. And if this was straight water wouldn't it be really creamy white?

turbovanmanČ
03-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Antifreeze and oil combine to make chocolate milk, oil and water make regular milk, so if your oil is oil looking, then you don't have a bad gasket or you do and need to drive it some more to mix it up.

Dony409
03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I really don't want to drive it :,( a little more about it. It's a 2001 dodge Durango 250km on the clock runs awesome totally stock and it's straight piped at the moment cause the muffler rotted but a new muffler is on the way I have always seen the white milky junk at the oil cap but I learned that this is caused by a bad PVC so I am now going to replace it. The trucks always run good never missed or anything etc

RoadWarrior222
03-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Major amounts of water/coolant will be at the bottom of the pan, oil floats, so if you crack the drain plug and get water/coolant, then that's what happened.

Don't run the motor until you investigate, there's a chance that the pickup will feed the bearings mostly water/coolant!

bakes
03-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Check your pcv system from breather to pcv valve for blockage or stuck valve.

speedfreek500
03-27-2012, 01:14 AM
When i worked at Dodge i remember a TSB about a new pvc set up, I will look into this because i forget now lol.

Dony409
03-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Ok thanks uhh so here's the sum up my 250,000km Durango that I have no record of matinence before this christmas no has (very slightly milky oil) and there's always that gross condensation creating curdled milk under my oil cap... Which on its own will never come off without using an oil filter wrench? And my oil level is frighteningly high. The only thing that doesn't add up to everything being fine minus it needing a PVC is that my oil level is high... So unless the law of conservation of matter is wrong, my oil density has gone way down creating more volume... Or there's so
Etching getting into my oil

RoadWarrior222
03-27-2012, 06:00 AM
It could be gas thinning out the oil, which would normally evaporate out and get consumed through a working PCV system.. but it's sounding like a heck of a lot, and you'd think you'd notice if your oil felt like WD-40.

Dony409
03-28-2012, 02:27 AM
So I've been doing some thinking... Can I run the truck with the oil cap off? Just around my house to get it warmed up to see about if whats in there's gonna churn up/ evaporate? And I'm also going to replace my PVC because of these signs but what I really don't want to happen is like all these other guys with sludge problems getting a crapped motor... Since I bought this it's always had super high oil pressure (just the stock gauge) and does anyone know if I pull a valve cover will I see the sludge? I would have asked this on the dodge forum but I'm not really liked there after calling a bunch of them dirty names cause they couldn't answer a simple question (that took me 5 minutes here to get it)

RoadWarrior222
03-28-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm a cheapskate, but still I'd dump the oil and refill it before I ran it.... even if it was cheapy supermarket oil, it's better than running it with the risk of there being water in the sump that's gonna go straight to the bearings...

Dony409
03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm not going to spam you or anything but what's ur email? I'll send you the photo of the oil on my dipstick and let you say what you think.... I'd post it here but I only have access on my phone

turbovanmanČ
03-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I agree, stop messing around over a jug of oil, drain it and see if water etc drains out with the oil.

Dony409
03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah but this oil change I recent :,( like 100km ago... The the water actually ruin the oil or could ou boil it out? Odd question...

turbovanmanČ
03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah but this oil change I recent :,( like 100km ago... The the water actually ruin the oil or could ou boil it out? Odd question...

Dude, I am going to be nice here, but quit f*cking around, don't potentially ruin a $5000 engine for $30 of oil, drain the f*cking oil and inspect it. Geez.

onerippinturbo2
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
and now you see why everyone has a hard time dealing with him and giving him answers to his questions... just wait he will ask the same questions again in a few months, and god forbid dont sell him anything, after he gets it and uses it he'll accuse you of selling him bad parts.

Dony409
03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Ooh muffin you still have the money for it so How bout you just f**k off? So I believe I foud the problem-s what happened is my PVC is plugged causing the slight milky ness and when I did the oil change the from of the truck was sitting lower and now that it's on slightly uphill land it's showing a higher level.. Seems a bit out there but I am going to get under it tomorrow and plug the oil pan plug to see if the bottom of the pan seems milky or watery.

turismolover22
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Pull the oil. If its anything but black (which it will probably have turned that color by now, judging the miles on it now) then I'd be leary. And no, water just doesn't "evaporate" out of your oil. It works its way into your bearings, reducing the lubracative properties of the oil, and eventually will clean all oil out of your car, because it will eventually steam up. Either that or it will have locked up by then. Your choice.Just dump the oil, go to the local superstore, and buy a $12 valvoline oil change bottle. Conventional oil, 5 quarts. Big deal. Oh yea, change the filter too, because if there is water in it, odds are it's collecting in the filter.

Dony409
03-30-2012, 01:42 AM
So
I finally got the matinence info on this engine and the oil was synthetic changed every 7000 km but I don't have any history on anything like brakes just oil :( but the truck has barely gone 100 km since the oil change cause it isn't anyone's dd and the 15mpg compared to the neons 38 doesn't justify it's use lol but I am kind of impressed on how clean the oil is still. The old oil was fairly black but I let it drip out over night when changing (inside the shop of course) I can't justify anything sarcastic at this moment I haven't had time to even crawl under it yet so I will let you guys know when I know more