PDA

View Full Version : coil over suspension question

jackerman
03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
so i started the coil over suspension for the front. cut the spring perch off and dropped the d ring on then the adjuster and adjuster ring spring then top hat. the problem is when i put the top mount on the top hat and the strut bearing isnt used. what is everyone else doing, are they using the stock upper spring seat

jackerman
03-26-2012, 10:13 PM
never mind i found the top hat to the coil over fits good onto the upper seat of the old spring seat. doesnt look super great but will work fine

1BADVAN
03-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Post some pics and share what you used please

Keito
03-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Pics and the setup you're using!

jackerman
04-01-2012, 03:40 AM
I called ground control for the springs and all the parts. It came with directions on where to cut the spring seat off and all. I bought KGB struts to practice on but they are on the car. I don't know how to post pics or I would. Cost was good to springs adj and adj seat was under 200

BadAssPerformance
04-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I used the stock upper Strut mount with custom spring seats.

1BADVAN
04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
I used the stock upper Strut mount with custom spring seats.
Thanks!

BadAssPerformance
04-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks!

No problem.. working on a full write up...

Irocelectric93
04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
JT your parts look like they may have come from A-1 racing. thats where i purchased my Sleeves, adjusters and original top hats before i got the BC top hats from Rich. I went with his camber plates instead of a standard bearing mount like KYB etc. I'll have to get pics of my final product as well with part numbers.

BadAssPerformance
04-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah, its been a while, but I think I got the sleeves/nuts from A1. Cool deal, would like to see pics

rbryant
04-02-2012, 02:52 PM
There are lots of ways to do it.

JTs custom spring hats look really nice and that is an excellent solution for using the stock spring hats. It appears that JT did recess the stock bearing inside of the hat so that they can't slide to the sides and jam up. That is an important thing to do or the bearing won't work around corners and it will still cause coil bind.

I have stopped making the original camber plates that I designed and am focusing on the full BC kits now but...

If you don't want the full BC kit I can also sell the BC camber plates (without struts) with my top plate adapter kit for about the same price as my original plates. The BC spring hats have an integrated bearing on the hat to prevent coil bind and also a spherical bearing in the adjuster.

Camber plates have advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:

Camber/Caster Adjustment
BC plates are Shorter (allows for more strut travel when lowering)

Disadvantages:

Cost
Added Harshness (no rubber isolation)

-Rich

BadAssPerformance
04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks Rob. Yep, gotta make sure the bearing is well supported