PDA

View Full Version : 289 carb info needed

JuXsA
08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I just got a 65 Galaxie Wagon. Its a 4v head with a 2bbl intake and carb. I plan on getting an edelbrock 289 performer intake and a set of old 5.0 mustang gt shorty headers. What I am stuck on is getting a carb.

The first carb I was looking at is at:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml
its the #1406 600cfm carb.
The other one I was looking at was the #1403 which is 500cfm
I have also recently been looking at Holley carbs.
The link to the info on the holley is:
http://www.holley.com/types/Street_Avenger.asp
The actual carb I was looking at is here:
http://www.holley.com/0-80570.asp
Its a 570cfm carb. Its sounds pretty sweet but being a TD guy I am new to all this old school stuff.

This is not a hotrod. Its a station wagon with a 289. I am just doing some basic bolt ons to give it a bit more pep. This thing will be mostly used to go on roadtrips, camping, and towing stuff around. I can get the intake cheap and I can get the mustang headers from a friend for $50. The holley costs a little more then the Edelbrock but I have heard its worth it.

Help.....
Thanks

turbovanmanČ
08-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't like Holley but some do. I have used Edelbrocks, crude car but they work. The 1406 is perfect for your needs. You will have to get it set up by a shop with a sniffer, there generally rich out of the box.

JuXsA
08-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I have heard that holley's needed to be tuned and that was the advantage of the edelbrock was that you could pretty much just bolt it on and go. But I have heard with the new Street Avenger series that holley makes is that they need hardly any tunning and are good right out of the box.

turbovanmanČ
08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Depends I guess. I have almost never had an Edelbrock carb be good out of the box, usually have to change the metering rods or install one size smaller jet. Again, Holley, I don't like them so I don't install them but others like them so its your call unless someone else pipes up.

JDAWG
08-01-2006, 07:20 PM
dude i hafta see pice of the wagon

JuXsA
08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
I need to take some pix of that wagon. It is sweet. 1 owner car. If you know anyone who want's a 69 buick send them my way though. I have one forsale that was also a 1 owner car.

Turbovanman, what carbs do you perfer? I know that carter and edelbrock are pretty much the same. If I could get a spreadbore intake I would use a Quadrajet carb but I don't want to deal with an adapter plate.

turbovanmanČ
08-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, Q-Jet is whats on my B250 van, I love it, next would be the Edelbrock/Carter/AFB carb, next is Holley. I will never install another Demon on a street car again.

JuXsA
08-01-2006, 09:36 PM
whys that about the demon? I heard they were freaking awesome carbs. I know they are pretty much just a highly modified holley and I thought about getting one of them but they are almost 100 more then the holley equivilent.

B250. Who makes that van? If its a ford how did you get the Qjet to fit?

turbovanmanČ
08-02-2006, 04:49 AM
whys that about the demon? I heard they were freaking awesome carbs. I know they are pretty much just a highly modified holley and I thought about getting one of them but they are almost 100 more then the holley equivilent.

B250. Who makes that van? If its a ford how did you get the Qjet to fit?

Demons are race carbs, there driveability sucks and you have to modify the air cleaner big time to get them to fit. Biggest piece of sh*t I ever bought.

Dude, this is a Dodge board and your asking me what a B250 is?

Dodge VAN

lol. They came with Q-Jets in the mid 80's from the factory so you just need to buy one for a mid 80's B van or scour the wrecking yards like I did. I got the spreadbore Edelbrock intake so it bolted right up.

Anonymous_User
08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
The edelbrock is a great street carb. They run nice right out of the box, but, yes, they will need a little tuning to be "perfect". The carb comes with a nice instruction manual that walks you through all the adjustments possible.

The edelbrock is never going to be a horse power carb.

The Holley carbs are great for power, and some make nice street carbs. The Holley carbs are easy to learn, and easy to tune, but you do have to drain the fuel bowls to swap jets.

A lot of people talk bad about Q-jets but they are a GREAT street carb when tuned properly. The small primaries can give you nice mileage and the sound of those big-ol secondaries kick'n in....

If you're going to buy a new carb for a street car, I'd lean towards the Edelbrock and I wouldn't be afraid of the 500 cfm.

JuXsA
08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I would like to get the Q-jet but again, I can't find a spreadbore intake mani for my car. I have a Q-jet on my buick and I love it. I was originaly going to use a Q-jet on my car but then I found out that I would have to run an adapter and even then it would be a little funky becasue the Q-jets bores would exactly match up to the bores on the intake mani.

They do call the Q-jet a poor mans EFI for a reason. But since I couldn't get one to fit I decided to get something else.

I am leaning with the Street Avenger Holley. I have heard that they get really good fuel economy and liek the edelbrock you can pretty much just bolt it on and go. Only its has a little more tuneabilty.