PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum spacers available for $125

Daytana
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Just letting all the 3.0 L people know that there is an individual (6g72 acclaim) who is getting his friend to produce aluminum spacers for $125. I know a lot have made their own spacers by now but aluminum is quite nice. He is going to try out the first one (test batch) for fitement and then he will be open for business. He offered to make me 1" but I am sure he can do 1/2" for the P-body owners. More info can be had in this thread: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f69/389228-anyone-willing-make-1-spacer.html#post2446552

Sundance 6g72
03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
be sure to post pictures :thumb:

Daytana
03-13-2012, 10:52 PM
There should be some posted when the final product is done. As soon as they are posted I will link some here. Hopefully this all works out for everyone.

TainterRacing
03-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Sorry, but this for the intake?? Wouldn't al more or less just make the runners longer?

Juggy
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
the reason spacers were made out of other materials such as garolite, and phenelom (however its spelt) was because they were great heat insulators. keeping the upper plenum cool too touch while the engine was hot as a mofo, so your not getting the full benefit of said spacers...

Sundance 6g72
03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Edit: ^ ^ yeah but my steel spacers keep the plenum cool to the touch throughout the summer and winter until i shut the motor down. eentually the plenum heatsoaks but NEVER while the car is running. In my videos where i race the WRX's and various other cars, my plenum was always COLD to the touch and in the summer is cool but not cold like it is in 45* weather. (cold where it almost hurt to touch it

im using 2 sets of 1/4inch spacers with permatex to seal them, that might have an effect.

Sorry, but this for the intake?? Wouldn't al more or less just make the runners longer?

we mainly use them to flip the plenum over so the TB is on the passenger side (in order to run crossover mounted turbo)

Ed found something like 5hp and 10tq or more from 1inch spacers. im assuming he also had a ported upper and lower paired with a 52-58mm throttle body.

but like i said, main purpose is to get the throttle body on the otherside of the engine bay. cleaner look, cooler air, and you can run a turbooooooo

RoadWarrior222
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Theory-eticlly... they widen the SSR turning into the runner, which in 3.0 myth and legend, helps... but yeah there's more than one person actually had measured number gains off them.

Heatsoaking shouldn't be an issue for road course cars, continually moving air through the plenum keeps it cooler, but on the street and on the strip, idling at the lights will heat the thing up quick... sometimes I think that wrapping a notebook sized lump of dow corning's finest in reynolds wrap and stuffing it under there would help, but OTOH you'll heatsoak the rail more instead.

If'n you wanna make your hood look goofy, I guess you could cut a NACA duct that dumps into the side of the plenum so air goes over and under it, and put a dam on the back of the K-frame to create suction to pull heat out from the back of the motor. Might take 2, not sure there's enough hood length to get a properly proportioned one wide enough in the correct proportions.

Anyhoo, I have some material to take care of myself with when I get a ...
http://presentoutlook.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/a-round-tuit.jpg

Sundance 6g72
03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
but OTOH you'll heatsoak the rail more instead.

we thought this happened to us at drag week but it turns out the fuel pump crapped out from 4+ hours of driving in the heat.

JDAWG
03-14-2012, 04:06 PM
I had some made by a friends a while back when i had a 3.0, he still has the file saved for his CNC machine, did a set for me and a few friends, other than that not much interest, well TONS of interest I should say, but just interest.
Cheers

Ondonti
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
My main reason to run spacers would be for reversing the plenum, and pretending things about the Short Side Radius. That really only seems to help in the lower rpms and makes the upper rpms drop off power.

Daytana
04-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Pictures for those who have not seen them yet. These are some installed on 6g72acclaim's car.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/646/3709/39114354091_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/646/3709/39114354087_large.jpg

turbovanmanČ
04-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Those are purdy, :nod: