PDA

View Full Version : smoke turbo related?

turboaddict
07-31-2006, 11:54 PM
alright my car suddenly started smoking. its oil smoke. the car only smokes when not in boost. even while driving under vacuum (i.e. turbos spooling but not making positive pressure) its smoke free until you decel or idle. hold it at 1500rpm no smoke. i just have trouble believing that a bad turbo seal would act this way. even under full throttle 14psi no smoke. the car has virtually no blow by and has 100psi across the board. no oil in intercooler tubes or on plugs. thanks for your help guys its just every turbo ive seen go out doesnt act this way and i want to go racing this friday!

JDAWG
08-01-2006, 12:24 AM
valve seals

turboaddict
08-01-2006, 03:23 AM
again no sign on the plugs, and when i say smoke i mean smoke !!! not just like a old 3.0l but like a smoke screen. i would think with the amount of oil coating the exhuast pipe that some would show up on the plugs if it were valve seals. either way ill pull the valve cover tomorrow and rule out the valve seals.

GLHSKEN
08-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Believe it. When spinning the turbo is still able to seal, when it slows down is when the leaking starts...

turbo xtc
09-03-2006, 07:48 PM
glhsken is right because oil pressure pushes the seals out

cordes
09-03-2006, 10:49 PM
If it takes a couple minutes after starting it up on a cold engine, I would say that it is leaking oil through the seal on the turbine side. Otherwise the aforementiond problem is where I would place my bet.