PDA

View Full Version : 1989 plymouith horizon turbo

pauly_no_van
03-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Ok took a while!
Last custom I mentioned having a fully loaded acclaim, been driving one for a year now..
I just got a red horizon from a kid who got it from somebody named 'todd'.
Anywho, heres the motor going in:
2.5 Ported everything, screamer wg, 60 injectors, ostrich.

I have available for sale glh brake/rotor/caliper/knuckle/mopar strut combos for sale btw.
I wanted 5x100 so I wont be needing that stuff.
More pics to follow!

pauly_no_van
03-12-2012, 11:19 AM
motor is in.

I replaced back drums w 5 lug from lebaron, and front struts are kyb/vogtland setups from a neon.
The neon hubs use a smaller shaft, so back to the yard for acclaim or whatever hubs/knuckles/calipers.

Has anybody fit a k knuckle to a neon strut before...?

I am about to try it, the holes in the struts are bigger, albeit the slotted hole
is on the bottom instead of the top like the stock ones.
Should allow for proper camber adjustment still, I think..

GLHS069
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
That's a 90, unless you just replaced the passenger door with a 90 Horizon or added a mirror to the passenger door from a 90.

pauly_no_van
03-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Its on the ground now, have to keep rechecking the bh connector wiring.
I am struggling with the fuel pump wire, I have it right, relay puts 12v to the gn/bk wire, but it doesnt make it to plug at tank.
I have other van underhood harness I have been matching the dash plug to, I may have to switch out underhood harness again.
The aftermarket neon struts/springs make it look like trouble, but I like it.
89 v6 van knuckles and brakes up front.
no shaving was needed, it all bolted up!
I plan on squeezing a mini swaybar in front eventually..

Vigo
03-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Those tires are horribly wrong for that car (just too tall..). Luckily 14" tires are really cheap so should be an easy fix. I aint against rockin the steelies.

Looks pretty good. Keep it up!

pauly_no_van
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks! haha, yeah they are extras i had im swapping pizzas from other car which will fit in there better..
I do prefer to get as tall a tire as i can in there though, helps w MPG.
I drive 200 miles/week minimum..

Vigo
03-23-2012, 06:46 PM
My daily commute is 90 miles and i have 22" diameter tires but my insight has crazy tall gearing. What trans/ratio is in it?

speedfreek500
03-23-2012, 07:39 PM
You could always run the fuel pump + wire from the power side of the coil to help ya out until you got the relay going.

Vigo
03-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Sounds like his problem is in the wiring between the relay and the tank, and the relay itself is working.

pauly_no_van
03-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Previous Owner had spliced an alarm wire into where the fp wire goes into fusebox, no alarm so it was open...
it runs now but it sputters when pedal pressed I put a newish 255hp in so it aint the pump.
I only have a tuned ecu to run this with but it was tuned for a different motor,. so its probably the tune.
my wideband has yet to be wired before i can sort it out.

The front of the car is too low, I am switching to the glh struts/springs before I get it lined up.
I was worried the motor was going to smoke,. it did when i pulled it from a van we bought recently.
We drove it a week or so that way before I swapped it. It was like Spy Hunter people behind were blinded by a wall of smoke:p
I took it apart and Cyl walls were honed SILLY. I mean like someone spun the drill at max and did not move it up or down at all!
The new rings measured within tolerance so I took a chance and honed/ringed it.
It works no smoke, luckily.
The pistons are new too. Stock.
I don't need more than 23 psi to have fun with these.

OH
The trans is a stock a413 turbo trans from your guess is as good as mine. I don't use 5 speeds traffic is a bummer with a clutch..
I never check those gears when I rebuild em.
This car came with a turbo trans so using the stock horizon trans gears is out :-/ -- or are those the tall ones..? I forget which was what.

Vigo
03-24-2012, 12:22 PM
If you already have 1g neon struts in there then 2g neon struts will be a drop-in and will give you some height back. But, if your GLH stuff is in good shape it's probably just as good, although i think the neon springs are a little stiffer.

Yeah good luck with that auto trans. Almost all of the tbi/turbo ones are 3.02fd. You wont be able to fix those mpgs with monster truck tires, imo. Shitty thing about a 3000+ rpm stall converter too, is if you cruise below 3000 you're slipping like crazy, and if you cruise above 3000 you still slip some and you're above 3000 rpm. Sucks either way. 3spd auto + non lock up sucks for MPG no matter what, the end. My insight hits 3000 rpm at 85mph on 22" tires and gets ~45mpg at that speed. At least if you swapped in a 5psd you'd probably be able to hit 35 with not much extra work.

Best of luck. :)

pauly_no_van
03-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Shitty running yielded code 21. I thought I took care of the factory o2 in the last car, but I guess not.
I am new to MpTuner2 so its (factory o2 sensor) still active, apparently.
I put the glh struts in, front is now a tad higher than rear, oh well.
Tires don't rub tho, which is good for me for now. knuckles did have to be shaved and slotted for camber adjust-ability...
I was sure they would fit as they were but the difference is not readily apparent, just enough to be a pain.
I do run an n/a converter, but yeah squeezing 22 average mpg out of this is tough..
my open wg took its first victim today, scared the piss out of some rich lexus jerkface. --makes it WELL WORTH crap mpg...
Good fun!
Be hunting V8's in no time!

pauly_no_van
03-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Driving it for work now, no odometer or tach. Runs quite well!
Speedo is not accurate, but better than nothing.
What do people here run for aftermarket units?
I have seen gps units but they are pricey.
Id like to get a small display that would work with logger...

*** walked a cobra (yep, a cobra) today, new one it was wagging all over at 60mph ***
if my cars break tomorrow and never run again im happy, I'm getting a TDI now...

*****Just found out today Not cobra but a 2012 BOSS ********

pauly_no_van
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
SRT8 Jeep falls . . .

omni_840
06-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Nice build! and kills too:D