PDA

View Full Version : 3 speed diff fluid level in a minivan???

RoadWarrior222
03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to be a cheap SOB and not buy or waste too much ATF. But my diff cover is leaking. One reason why my van hasn't been out much lately. I shoulda oughtoa sealed it up properly when I installed the trans, but the wrecker had painted the bolts on it "for warranty" and it turned out loose... but didn't wanna blow my chances of returning the trans if it seemed funky.

Anyway... I'm figuring on having the BACK of the van on ramps when I do work on the back end, and think I can still squeeze down there while it's tilted forward... should you think that will keep most of the fluid in the pan still? What do you think I'll lose out of the diff, about a quart?

I am definitely not going to drain it from the pan anyway, this one is fugged up, 90% of the bolts stripped, took me a day to get it on and sealed up last time. I dunno if I''ll want to go through that again for a couple of years. Dunno what I can do to it now anyway, threaded inserts or something.... but hoping this trans holds out until I "build" one right. (Should do, theoretically only has 60,000 on.... but I guess finding bolts stripped on it has me wondering what kind of monkeys have worked on it)

I know I'm being tighter than tight, but $20 extra on this means there's something else that doesn't get $20 spent on it.

thanks for any insight,

RW222

black86glhs
03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Just piss in it when done. Can't be any worse than any other cheap fluid.

RoadWarrior222
03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Awesom suggestion :thumb: remind me to top yours up as a thank you, if I'm crawling past at 3AM on my way home from the bar. :D

turbovanmanČ
03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Diff is filled up by main sump, its not seperate if that's what your asking, if not, then I have no idea what your babbling about, ;)

RoadWarrior222
03-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Yah, know it's not separate, but can't remember how high the divider is, when it's sitting flat or might be when it's raised.... it always seemed to me like it had to fill the diff by splash anyway, and might not drain much from it when you open up the pan.

turbovanmanČ
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I would guess about 1/2 litre comes out.