PDA

View Full Version : Engine test stand

Nemesismachine
03-05-2012, 12:03 PM
has anyone built a test stand for our engines? I have my hybrid built and assembled, but want to test it. That would ease my mind if something happened to it, I wouldn't have to pull it out of the car again.

RoadWarrior222
03-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Our HF equivalent, Princess Auto, has a test stand that seems like a reasonable price... maybe HF has something similar???

Though to me, fugging around getting it off the build stand onto the test stand and hooking everything up, seems barely less work than dropping it in the car....

... but I'm wondering if you could like shove the build stand right up to the car and hook enough up to idle it on that... or just get the car nose high and do it underneath sorta...

Keito
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8255507/Engine-Stands/Engine-Testing-Station

Interesting....

Nemesismachine
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
This is more for long term storage. Right now it's sitting on a dolly while I finish body work. I'd like to be able to start it and ensure no leaks, rather than cranking it over by hand once a month.

RoadWarrior222
03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8255507/Engine-Stands/Engine-Testing-Station

Interesting....That's the one... but they don't seem to be selling it... maybe it seemed like a reasonable price because they were clearing them out when I saw one in store.

OmniLuvr
03-05-2012, 04:32 PM
im using the front half of a wrecked omni, basically from steering wheel forward. i use it to mock up parts, and making wiring harnesses. i havent started and engine "in" it yet, but im sure i will be able to, and will soon...

roachjuice
03-05-2012, 06:58 PM
im using the front half of a wrecked omni, basically from steering wheel forward. i use it to mock up parts, and making wiring harnesses. i havent started and engine "in" it yet, but im sure i will be able to, and will soon...

That's some red green shyt right there lol.

Juggy
03-06-2012, 07:09 AM
This is more for long term storage. Right now it's sitting on a dolly while I finish body work. I'd like to be able to start it and ensure no leaks, rather than cranking it over by hand once a month.

just store the engine and do not fire it. thats one of the worst things you can do is run an engine with no load to it. do you plan to hook up hoses and a radiator too? id assume one would at least want to bring it to temperature b4 shutting it down....

however i have thought about mocking up a test station to fire engines. it would involve using a sawed off bellhousing so that i could bolt a starter to it. be fully wired with push button start and smec harness with 12v battery. oh and some fuel lines that ran to a fuel pump sitting in a bucket of gas LOL!!!

might need something to hold it tho?? just realized i would not be a pretty site to fire it up just sitting on the ground under its own weight!!! oh man that sounds like something to youtueb actually, engine flapjacks hehhehe

RoadWarrior222
03-06-2012, 08:10 AM
There has to be a redneck video of someone getting chased round the barn by an LS1 or SBC... :D

Nemesismachine
03-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Why else run it without bringing it up to temperature? That's the idea. And yes, of course it would have a radiator. Small boat fuel tank (for the return) and an overflow for coolant, shouldn't be that hard. I can get a SMEC from the junkyard for next to nothing.

I can always throw an eye bolt in a wall stud to keep it from walking or trying to do a barrel roll.

RoadWarrior222
03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I believe that a motor with hydraulic lifters is better left to sit. After a couple of weeks, lifters collapse sealing the cylinder. No more air/condensation can pass in and out. Any oxidation comes to a halt as it uses up all free O2. If you wanna stop any happening in the 1st place, use misting oil or WD-40 in the cylinders through the plug holes before you lay it up, and put the plugs back in. Running it periodically just accelerates startup wear from the oxides, and allows air to cycle for another week or two each time until the lifters close again.

You wanna run it to test for leaks, fine, but run it up to temp once, fix anything, re-test, then while it's still warm, oil the cylinders, put the plugs back in, cover it up and leave it alone.

Nemesismachine
03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
^^ Exactly my plan.

OmniLuvr
03-07-2012, 05:20 PM
That's some red green shyt right there

what does that mean exactly? ya, im ghetto sometimes, but it really works well. im using it to fabricate my over the trans header and an aluminum radiator that fits in the area where the a/c condensor used to be to give me some more room under the hood :)

roachjuice
03-07-2012, 05:53 PM
what does that mean exactly? ya, im ghetto sometimes, but it really works well. im using it to fabricate my over the trans header and an aluminum radiator that fits in the area where the a/c condensor used to be to give me some more room under the hood :)
Red green is just a tv show. Pretty funny actually. I was just giving you crap lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61f6bAuytw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

RoadWarrior222
03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Used to be funny... until you count up how many K-cars the bastard has killed :(

OmniLuvr
03-08-2012, 12:23 PM
That is awesome...