PDA

View Full Version : Manual Clutch will not go into third gear

wardle_robert
03-03-2012, 01:42 PM
My wife has an 05 PT Cruiser, Manual Transmission, about 100k miles.

It goes into first and second gear without a problem but once I try to shift into third gear it acts as if the clutch completely disappears or like there is something blocking it from going into gear. Usually I can wiggle the clutch from side to side and eventually get it into third but it takes a lot of effort.

Does anyone know what is going on? or at least can you point me in the right direction?
Thank you!

135sohc
03-03-2012, 02:35 PM
The plastic bushings @ the cable ends are known to deteriorate, especially on the transmission end because of the heat/oil/chemical exposure in the engine bay. If the shifter is really sloppy there probably shot or very well on their way to being shot. http://www.ptdoityourself.net/guide_mantransaxleshift.html

There are a few different companies selling polyrethane replacement bushings now instead of the fix suggested in that link. About $20 and they will last just about forever.

turbovanmanČ
03-03-2012, 03:05 PM
If that doesn't fix it and you've made sure the shifter and linkage is ok, then you've got an internal issue, IE bent fork or worn synchro.