PDA

View Full Version : Signs of failing 2nd Gen ram transmission

shackwrrr
03-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Found a decent truck for sale, its a 1996 ram 2500 4x4 360, but I'm worried about the transmission. It has 200k+ and was used for landscaping with a dump insert (probably also a trailer with a bobcat). I am going to test drive it in the next few days so any input on what the trans may act like if its failing would be great.

shadow88
03-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Long delay into overdrive. No lock-up. Failing to shift to first after a complete stop.

Most of the shifting problems with them is caused by the governor pressure switch and transducer.
Some overdrive related issues are caused by failing overdrive clutch packs

Before purchase, I would remove the pan take apart the filter and check for debris no matter how it shifts.

shackwrrr
03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Long delay into overdrive. No lock-up. Failing to shift to first after a complete stop.

Most of the shifting problems with them is caused by the governor pressure switch and transducer.
Some overdrive related issues are caused by failing overdrive clutch packs

Before purchase, I would remove the pan take apart the filter and check for debris no matter how it shifts.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know of any seller that would let a potential buyer tear into the transmission before purchase. It would be one of the first things I would do if I get it but not before. I'm not looking for the trans to last another 10 years I'm just asking it to last until I build my savings back up enough to buy a core trans and rebuild it.

I've been into a 46re before and the tools are easily acquired, just don't have the time to rebuild it right away. It does need a transfer case though as it grinds in 4wd

RoadWarrior222
03-03-2012, 04:44 PM
If it's been used for landscaping, there would be a highly likelihood around here, that it had also been used for snowplowing...

black86glhs
03-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Check the trans codes.

shackwrrr
03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Surprisingly there's no plow mount

Keito
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
My brother bought a truck with a plow brand new, he had like 6-7 trans rebuilds, I lost count.

Abkshelby
03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
It has 200k miles on it.
Do you really expect it to not have problems?
Look at the transmission fluid.
If it smells burnt the thing will have issues.
If it upshifts ok on the test drive it may be ok for awhile.
Anything with that high of miles can let go at any time.
Lots of people complain about the reliability of the 42RE and 46RE transmissions.
I've never had any issues with them.
Regular fluid changes and using Mopar ATF4 help a lot.

shackwrrr
03-04-2012, 09:51 PM
It has 200k miles on it.
Do you really expect it to not have problems?
Look at the transmission fluid.
If it smells burnt the thing will have issues.
If it upshifts ok on the test drive it may be ok for awhile.
Anything with that high of miles can let go at any time.
Lots of people complain about the reliability of the 42RE and 46RE transmissions.
I've never had any issues with them.
Regular fluid changes and using Mopar ATF4 help a lot.

My r/t has over 300k and they have a bad reliability rep. I'm not the best on maintenance either.

I figured if I can get a decent deal on it I could fix whatever myself instead of trying to buy something that someone recently dumped a bunch of chasuble into paying someone to fix.

RoadWarrior222
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
I dunno. "last straw" cars are a good buy, you get all/most of the "10 year" parts fresh, and just have one or two more things for a car that does another 10-15 before anything major goes.