PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me with my Trim Calc?

jake
03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Is there anyone here that can and would be able to service a FWD Performance Trim Calc? The Trim Calc has a couple problems, intermittently it may or may not fire the car. If it starts the car it will also stall and may or may not restart the car. When it is running it does not run well, under powered, sometimes missing etc. The car runs well with another non Trim Calc FWDP ECU. Of course I would gladly pay anyone who can fix this unit. Also I will of course provide full details about the car when needed.
I know the obvious question is have you contacted FWDP, and the answer is yes and they have not been able to fix it. This post is in no way intended to be any kind of statement positive or negative about FWDP. My only intent is to see if I can get my Trim Calc reliable and fully functioning.

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Get ahold of shelgame, he could probably sell you a new chip, then you can simply exchange it in your current computer.

jake
03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Thank you for your responce. Are you saying Shelgame could sell me a chip that fixes the Trim Calc? I'm not trying to do anything with my current computer, at least not yet. Before I go that route I would like to see if the Trim Calc can be fixed.

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Thank you for your responce. Are you saying Shelgame could sell me a chip that fixes the Trim Calc? I'm not trying to do anything with my current computer, at least not yet. Before I go that route I would like to see if the Trim Calc can be fixed.

He wouldn't touch Cindy's chip, he would simply make a new chip to go in your current computer, with a cal close to what you have.

glhs727
03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Simon, the trim cal isn't a simple chip swap. As a matter of fact, I'm positve that his issue has NOTHING to do with the chip programming. more likely an issue with an internal circuit on the ecu itself, or a wiring issue with the controller board. Jake, contact NEMIRO on this forum, and se if he an help. He manufactured the trim cal board for us. He is in the process of moving so he may not be able to look at it soon, but he would be the first guy I would try to contact.
Later,
Cindy

jake
03-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Cindy I have already tried to contact NEMIRO. He did reply to my E-mail saying he could help last year but has not contacted me back after multiple E-mails I have sent him since then. Also did you get a 88/89 test car?

I am certainly not a electronics/ECU guy, and my life is pretty busy outside of this hobby right now, so I do not have the ability to dive into this to research and learn everything I would need to know to resocket a ECU. I do agree with Cindy that the issue is most likely with an internal circuit on the ecu itself, or a wiring issue with the controller board. That being said, if Shelgame or anyone else who has the ability to ressocket ecu's and test the results would like to take a shot at resocketing a known good ecu and putting the Trim Calc chip and connections in it I would gladly pay for the service, even if it was not successful. I really have nothing to lose on this Trim Calc at this point. If anyone is interested but does not want to post here please PM me or E-mail me at jakekrantz@hotmail.com (jakekrantz@hotmail.com)

turbovanmanČ
03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Simon, the trim cal isn't a simple chip swap. As a matter of fact, I'm positve that his issue has NOTHING to do with the chip programming. more likely an issue with an internal circuit on the ecu itself, or a wiring issue with the controller board. Jake, contact NEMIRO on this forum, and se if he an help. He manufactured the trim cal board for us. He is in the process of moving so he may not be able to look at it soon, but he would be the first guy I would try to contact.
Later,
Cindy

What computer? Is he talking something internally? If so then yeah, another computer is needed. Best to get another computer, socket it and retry your cal.

Cindy, Neil or Rob most likely have computers they can sell you socketed so all you have to do is swap the chip over.

jake
03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Just to clarify I believe I have used the words computer, ecu, and SMEC interchangeably in this thread. I will try to stick to SMEC from here on out. I have 2 SMEC’s. Number 1 a regular non Trim Calc FWDP (I believe it is a stage 5) SMEC. This SMEC works fine, I have not got it completely tuned in yet (boost, fuel pressure, etc.) but it starts every time, and runs the car down the road well. The only reason I bring this SMEC up in this thread is that it rules out other problem with the car and/or wiring harness. Number 2 is the FWDP Trim Calc SMEC, which has all the problems I have previously stated and what I am hoping someone will be able to service. Thank you for your input so far.

turbovanmanČ
03-02-2012, 05:05 PM
If you have 2 socketed SMECS, take the non working SMEC, swap chips and retry, if the problem follows, then you know its the chip, if it runs good, then you know the SMEC is bad.

glhs727
03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
except for the trim cal you also need to wiring in the extra wires for all the sensor readings, so not only will you have to resocket the new smec with the computer overlay board and chip, but also solder in the different wires for all the trimcal sensor data

turbovanmanČ
03-02-2012, 05:53 PM
except for the trim cal you also need to wiring in the extra wires for all the sensor readings, so not only will you have to resocket the new smec with the computer overlay board and chip, but also solder in the different wires for all the trimcal sensor data

Is this a different setup Cindy?

larryB
03-02-2012, 07:59 PM
I've got a trim cal that's been sitting on the shelf for a few years. It came out of my 1988 Sundance. You might check with FWD Performance and see if you can just swap your chip into it. That is if they even have chips, I've never opened the case to see what's inside. I'll let it go cheap.

jake
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
larryB, I sent you a PM, thank you very much!

Cindy, should this work for me?

moparman76_69
03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Simon, the trim cal isn't a simple chip swap.

Is this a different setup Cindy?

Reading comprehension FTW. I'd go with yes.

glhs727
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Jake,
Your's and larry's should be the same, I beleive. I would plug in larry's and see what happens with the no run issue. See if it solves your issue. The chip section is socketed so once you confirm Larry's resolves your issue, you can change the chip if needed.

jake
03-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Alright, things are looking up. Larry just made me one heck of a great deal. Thanks again so much Larry! I sounds like engine wise his setup is pretty close to mine, and he had it on his car so it is a tested good running Trim Calc. I will not get a chance to get it into my car until next weekend at the earliest, but I will let you know how it turns out.

jake
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
It worked! Installed the Trim Calc Larry sent me this weekend and it worked very well. Big thanks to Larry! A super great guy that was very helpful.