PDA

View Full Version : TIII Coolant Temp Sensor

rbrthrly900
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Hello, the coolant Temp Sensor that is on the drivers rear of the block... Just a 1 wire job... If I disconnect that, will it affect anything?? Is that just for the gauge inside??? Here is why I ask... I want to put a new electric cooling fan in... One off of Ebay... I want the fan to come on a bit sooner than it does now.. They sell these kits with a switch and everything... I would have to put that new switch in... I was wondering if I could just take that out and put the new switch in there.... But then I want my gauge to still work... I am sorry if this sounds like a really stupid questions.. haha... Thanks for the help...

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2012, 01:53 PM
That is for the temp gauge, the fan/computer sensor is on the thermostat housing and NO, you can't remove it, if you do, the computer will wig out and it will run like crap.

If you want to run something different, then I would get the flex-a-lite thermostat setup, it uses a sensor that simply push's into the rad and then you can use that to turn on the fan, or you can simply hook up a manual switch and do it yourself, and that leaves the factory control incase you forget.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31147/

Turbo3Iroc
03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I think he is referring to the one mounted under the T-stat housing in the cyl head. That one just indicates the temp in the car and is dumb to what the SBEC sees from the 2 wire plug on the T-stat housing. I don't see why you can't tap into the single wire one as your reference.

rbrthrly900
03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Yes, just the single wire one... It is the one that is below the T-housing on the side of the head... I have a stage 1 ECU... Anyone know what temp that turns the fan on?? Seems really late...

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2012, 02:31 PM
That's for the guage, you'd have to spec it out to see if you could use it, but why bother, just get the flex a lite unit, easier.

Call FWD and ask her, it should come on earlier than stock.

rbrthrly900
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM
What is CFM rating of our Stock Fans???

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
What is CFM rating of our Stock Fans???

Alot, those suckers move some serious air, I would leave it alone and just control it.

rbrthrly900
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Well mine is wobbly, and making some serious noise.. haha... Just was going to replace it with a Red Thin one off of ebay... I am hitting up the junk yard this weekend, so maybe I can find one there... What vehicle has the same fan?