PDA

View Full Version : What is this bolt?

rbrthrly900
02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I have an oil leak, and it seems that this is the culprit!!! I just have no idea what it is for, or why it is leaking, or if and how tight I can make it, or if I can remove it safely to put thread sealant on it to re-install!!! Please help!!!!! I have it circled on the lower left hand side... It is on the Passenger Exhaust side of the Engine!!!

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu351/rbrthrly90/HEAD11.jpg

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
IIRC, oil galley, remove and reseal. You might have to use heat to remove it. There are other plugs that should be resealed, no one ever does it, :(

BadAssPerformance
02-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Moved to T-III section

rbrthrly900
02-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Ok, so I tried today a few times... I can not figure out how to get to that bolt... I was only looking/attempting from the top... How the hell do I get that bolt out so that I can put some sealant on it and put it back in??? Let me know... Thanks...

The engine is in the vehicle, and it is running... Oil is leaking out... I have only tried to fix from the top...

turbovanmanČ
02-29-2012, 03:10 AM
You might have to remove the power steering to gain access. Its an allen head so get a socket that you can put on a ratchet. Like I said earlier, you might need to use heat, I had to on mine.

lengel
02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Make sure your valve cover gaskets are not leaking. The oil will run down the head and drip off that plug. I have had it happen to me in the past.

Turbo3Iroc
03-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Make sure your valve cover gaskets are not leaking. The oil will run down the head and drip off that plug. I have had it happen to me in the past.

Yes the same thing happened to a local guy here. But after going through the trouble of resealing it multiple times, that plug will not leak on his motor again!

rbrthrly900
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes the same thing happened to a local guy here. But after going through the trouble of resealing it multiple times, that plug will not leak on his motor again!

And why will in not leak again??? Also if you resealed it, how did you get it out, and then back on... Did you have to take the Power Steering off?? I am going to try to fix this this weekend... I have a trip trip to Philly coming up next week and want to get this all done before then... Also going to be doing a lifter....

Turbo3Iroc
03-01-2012, 01:09 PM
He ended up using JB Weld on the threads and left a bead at the end of the threads. Cleaned with alcohol before application. But in the end it was the head gasket leaking. If your gesket in the valve cover is flush with the flats at the bolt locatios it will probably leak. Best to use a torque wrench on them, they are rated for 105 in/lb but I go about 95. I don't remember if the PS reservoir had to be removed for access to the allen set screw.

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Ack, I've done it on the car, you could probably get it out but removing the PS is mucho easier, as I had to use heat. Once resealed, it won't leak again, just use some liquid teflon sealer.

Turbo3Iroc
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Talked to him and it was the exhaust cam seal on his car.

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Talked to him and it was the exhaust cam seal on his car.

Ewwww, that's a crappy job in the car, :banghead: