PDA

View Full Version : 1990 t-bird SC - er - VGT

pauly_no_van
02-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Howdy doo!
Figured I'd post this build here too since I can't seem to cut the loose of you people or mopars!
I am also a fan of the thunderbird supercoupe, and have decided to fit an he351ve to my 35th.
started the exhaust manifold:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh251/paulpatrick3/scturbomani1.jpg
I will be trying for about 400 at the wheels end of the day, should be about 2x the hp of stock and another 100'lb I think..
:D

cordes
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
That looks good so far. I'll be following this intently. Isn't there a pretty decent aftermarket for the SCs?

roachjuice
02-26-2012, 11:08 PM
They like to blow head gaskets a lot. They make some good power though.

pauly_no_van
02-27-2012, 12:19 AM
That looks good so far. I'll be following this intently. Isn't there a pretty decent aftermarket for the SCs?
Thanks!
Welds will look decent when I finish em off.
Yes roach head gaskets blow like the wind on these motors, but use an mls and arp's and take care of it--problem solved.
The lil ford boys like their felpro composite head gaskets:lol:
No there is not much aftermarket for these that isn't ridiculously expensive.
I mean, well, some are semi-reasonable if you want to get larger maf/injector combos with od pulleys.
I want more power than that, and I want to tune this thing.
A turbo is cheaper and makes more power than 99% of the eaton m90 combos out there.
Twin screw blowers alone are 4k.
Tuning this particular animal (eec-iv)requires a moates quarterhorse and essentially leased software.
I hate the idea of leasing and don't personally like the person who writes these programs, so a friend and I are going to use a GM ecu
and tune it with tunerpro.
This turbo supports about 600 hp, I would not try for near that with a stock 3.8 though. - 400 is easy for stock..
Dsm's spool a vgt by 3000rpms, so I figure leaving the nozzle full open ought to still be killer.... We shall see...:nod:

cordes
02-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Wow, I was lead to believe that the SCs had a ton more aftermarket support than the TCs back when I had my 88. I guess not. Thanks for the info.

roachjuice
02-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Yea those super coupes can be bad ---!! I LOVE the turbo coupes from the 80's. I have a 94 t bird with a 4.6. Its actually a decent car. Makes shyt for power but hey it's my daily. Ac and heat work. I like it a lot better than a 97 sentra I had lol. Ive been trying to join the tccoa forum since December. My account hasn't been put through for some reason. If your on that forum can you pm a admin for me and tell them Roachjuice isn't a bot lol.

pauly_no_van
02-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Ive been trying to join the tccoa forum since December. My account hasn't been put through for some reason. If your on that forum can you pm a admin for me and tell them Roachjuice isn't a bot lol.
Heres what i found:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=138308

I just read a person on SCCOA is making over 800whp with a 4.2/t56/quarterhorse tuning, so there ya go...
Lot more than I thought, don't know for sure if he moded the bottom with a girdle or just having forged rods/pistons...
hes got over a grand in rods pistons, everything else cost 2k more...
I paid $40 for my turbo, guy just wanted to get rid of it. Went thru it its super clean, score!

pauly_no_van
07-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Hello,
I Have not been earning much extra money for a long time, this will change soon!

I have about 80% of all the parts I need, I recently found another short block, one I had was too toasty to try this.
I am currently re-building a 4r70w transmission and turning Delrin for the bushings in the IRS and front K member parts as well...
The engine will be run by a GM ecu, and an ostrich.
The new motor I found is a 94/95 SC bottom, stronger components and higher compression.
http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=817&p=7112#p7112

tommyturbo
07-06-2014, 03:26 AM
I enjoy my 94 Super Coupe...I'm huge on my turbo mopars, but a sucker for the Super Coupe and SHO's.

HSKR
07-06-2014, 04:14 AM
I had a '94 teal 5-speed SC for a few years(rare combo). Only mods I did was new tires, Wynn's catless downpipes and a stage 2 clutch. Also had a e-fan on the intercooler. Ran decent, and the adjustable suspension was nice. It left my now ex-wife stranded several times because it would just die out of no where and not start back up. Then a few hours later would start and drive just fine again. Last straw was when it almost caught fire on her in a fastfood drive through. The wiring in the steering column melted and almost caught fire. Sold it to another guy from SCCOA for $1K in non-running condition. I paid $2K for it and had it for three years. Didn't make out too bad on it I guess.

pauly_no_van
07-07-2014, 12:37 PM
The mn12 is a best of all worlds type of chassis, it handles like a civic, but is heavy which you want in a wreck.
In the past I have had a 5.0 bird, and a 4.6 bird. The 89-92 SC is the Hardest car I have ever worked on, also the first Head Gasket Job I've ever done.
When they are stock and the HG goes, its a real show just getting the heads off, but with a couple of shortcuts reinstalling, it becomes a breeze to work on. I have had 2 5 speeds, in traffic they would be not a good car, but a blast otherwise. Somebody started making the fiber lined blockers for m5r2 rke again, which is nice. I think the 4r7xx autos are the strongest domestic autos, once they are set up properly.. Its like 2.5 a413's in one case:D