PDA

View Full Version : Raced the New Yorker finally

dwh4784
07-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I hate racing log cars, first off. To get a decent run out of it I have to drive out to the track, tech it in, and park it for two hours. Even then the charge temp is still right around 130*. One race and it's hot and slows down bigtime.

Anyways I have managed to get two decent runs in the last couple weeks. First was against a 03 VW GTI VR6 a buddy just bought. I took him hard off the line, held a carlength lead most of the 1/4 but he got me by about a fender at the traps. That car pulls up top, I wasn't surprised that he caught up.
Second was against my buddies 88 Shadow, 5 speed, mitsu turbo, side exit exhaust, 14psi, big OBX front mount. My old car that I still do most of the work on. After I lost to the VR6 he was talking a little smack....
..race went about the same as the VR, only I held the lead the entire way. He *claims* he was pulling but I never could see him out the side window.

Mine is an 85 T1, 13psi, alky injection, 2.5" side exit exhaust, RMVB, 88 TBI camshaft, rear air shocks at 70psi. Nothing special but it's amazing how many people think it's sooooo cool. Other than the kid at the gate coming in....he took a look at the car and asked "How can I help you tonight?". He didn't believe I was going to race it.:p

BARRON
07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
haha!! "CAN I HELP YOU?" .. like .. oh this poor guy is lost after taking grandma back to the complex.

Tony Hanna
07-31-2006, 10:28 PM
I wonder if you could relocate the air temp sensor so that it's reading more of the actual air temp and less of the manifold heatsoak? Might cause detonation problems, but then again you're running alky...who knows?

dwh4784
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Well the heatsoak really has an effect on performance. Say I drive in and get in line to race without parking for awhile. By the time I get up there it's reading around 200*, it's sluggish to spool on the line, wont even spin the tires, and is all around slow. I raced the VR6 like that and he beat me the entire way, at least 3 or 4 carlengths.

Tony Hanna
08-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I just wonder if that's a result of the computer pulling timing, etc becaues of the air temp? Everything I've read says that the air is moving fast enough through the intake at full throttle that it doesn't get the chance to pickup much heat from the surrounding metal. I know it's a common practice with a lot of n/a cars (lt1 camaros for example) to move the air temp sensor to a cooler place in the intake plumbing so that it isn't affected by radiant heat and gives a more accurate reading of air temp.
You're limited with where you can put it on a turbo car, because it has to be after the turbo, but surely there's got to be a better place than an aluminum intake manifold with the hot side of the turbo radiating heat at it.

Spraynlog
08-02-2006, 08:03 AM
I'd be interested in hearing your times, 60', 1/8 mile time & mph, 1/4 mile also.

Have you tried a manual fan switch for cooling at the track? I put this mod on my '86 Lebaron (log intake) and it really helped keep it cool during the long sit in line, tech in etc. I turned it on and left it going, and it kept the temp gauge down real well.

Very cool looking New Yorker!:thumb: I like white.