PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 Forged Pistons ""wanted""

BIG PSI
01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I am interested in buying some FORGED pistons for a 2.5 motor. I would prefer they be .020 or .030. They must come with wrist pins.
I would also like to buy piston rings if they are NEW.
Thanks
Chuck

:thumb:

glhs875
01-03-2006, 03:24 PM
I am interested in buying some FORGED pistons for a 2.5 motor. I would prefer they be .020 or .030. They must come with wrist pins.
I would also like to buy piston rings if they are NEW.
Thanks
Chuck

I've got a set of Ross .040-.912 pin W/Hastings rings, both never used, and in the original boxes. I'll take $350.00+ shipping.

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Taking my advice eh Chuck, ;)

Ross, sweet piston. Do it, do it, :amen:

BIG PSI
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Taking my advice eh Chuck, ;)

Ross, sweet piston. Do it, do it, :amen:

That means I have to pull the block out, tear it apart, send it out to the machine shop, reassemble the stuff......

Does anyone and I mean ANYONE have a set in .020 laying around ???
I will wait until 1-13-06 (Friday)--after that I will be buying these .040
from GHLS875

It sure is a pain in the pocket book building all these Mini Vans (ouch)

And yes Simon I listen to you..

Chuck

:eyebrows: :thumb:

Dave
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
We have to listen to Simon... he is god. :grouphug:

BIG PSI
01-08-2006, 12:01 AM
I've got a set of Ross .040-.912 pin W/Hastings rings, both never used, and in the original boxes. I'll take $350.00+ shipping.

Will you please PM me your name and address and let me know exactly how much $$$$ to put on US Postal Money Order for the pistons, rings, wrist pins.
I want to be ready on the 13th to send it out to YOU if no one else has exactly what I am looking for.

Turbovanman gave me the :thumb: 's up about your pistons. So if you still have them this Friday and you still want to sell them let me know the requested information.

Thanks
Chuck Green

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 12:05 AM
We have to listen to Simon... he is god. :grouphug:

Awww shucks, thanks, :nod:

Directconnection
01-08-2006, 11:07 AM
That means I have to pull the block out, tear it apart, send it out to the machine shop, reassemble the stuff......

Does anyone and I mean ANYONE have a set in .020 laying around ???
I will wait until 1-13-06 (Friday)--after that I will be buying these .040
from GHLS875

It sure is a pain in the pocket book building all these Mini Vans (ouch)

And yes Simon I listen to you..

Chuck

:eyebrows: :thumb:

I hope your not looking for OS forged pistons to simply pop in place? If so, that would be a bad idea. Not all forged pistons are the same. Meaning, a
.020 JE will require a larger bore than a .020 Venolia. .020 and .030 that would be alot of honing on your back as well if you do plan to hone it.

GLHSKEN
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Yep, You need to bring the pistons to the machine shop to have them "bored" individualy for each piston... (yes, they should be the same.. but let the machinist do his magic.)

GLHNSLHT2
01-08-2006, 11:52 AM
and with JE's from FM they're actually undersized. so a .020 over is actually about .014 so you can use a standard .020" over ring and file fit it. I'm not sure if The other vendors do this with the ross and venolia's as well but it's very important to have the pistons on hand so the bore tolerances can be set exactly to the specification of each piston.

BIG PSI
01-08-2006, 12:46 PM
and with JE's from FM they're actually undersized. so a .020 over is actually about .014 so you can use a standard .020" over ring and file fit it. I'm not sure if The other vendors do this with the ross and venolia's as well but it's very important to have the pistons on hand so the bore tolerances can be set exactly to the specification of each piston.

Thanks for the heads up. Once I get the pistons I will be taking all my parts over to Ohio Rob for the rebuild. But I do have one other question, I have this 92 TBI Acclaim, can I just rebuild that short block for a "turbo" vehicle or do I have to use a "turbo" short block.

Thanks
Chuck

GLHS0658
01-08-2006, 12:53 PM
The TBI had the weaker rods and higher compression pistons. It also does not have the oil drain tube in the back of the block for the turbo.

So...
Change rods and pistons and drill hole for drain back. It is a common block!

Mike

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I hope your not looking for OS forged pistons to simply pop in place? If so, that would be a bad idea. Not all forged pistons are the same. Meaning, a
.020 JE will require a larger bore than a .020 Venolia. .020 and .030 that would be alot of honing on your back as well if you do plan to hone it.

Your a little off, JE's need a smaller bore than Venolia's as JE's only need .004 clearance. Ven's need .0075 clearance.

I just did Will Martins engine, he had Venolia's and wow, you can slop the piston back and forth pretty good-JE's were nice and tight, :thumb:
I used .030 for the top and 2nd rings-file fitted them and used .020 on the oil rings, I didn't like the way the .030 oil rings looked after filing, better safe than sorry.

bfarroo
01-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Did you have to custom order the rings to get .30 top and bottoms and .20 oil rings. How did the rings look when installed. I still really don't like the idea of using larger rings since the ring is not going to be round in the cylinder unless it is able to bend that much.

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Did you have to custom order the rings to get .30 top and bottoms and .20 oil rings. How did the rings look when installed. I still really don't like the idea of using larger rings since the ring is not going to be round in the cylinder unless it is able to bend that much.

I ordered moly rings for the .030, after filing, they looked fine, I even shone a light up the bore and looked good. Don't forget, theres going to be along of pressure and suction there when you get it running. Your over eggasterating on the bending, there isn't any.
As for the oil rings, I filed down the .030 and had to remove some of the expander to make them fit-I DID NOT LIKE THIS, There is no pressure down there really and the expander is what makes the oil ring fit and do its job and you could see lots of light thru the ring so I ordered .020 cast rings-cheaper than Moly of course, measured-still in spec and used them. Will have to wait and see how his engine runs, will be a 2-4 weeks before he gets it running.

Directconnection
01-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Your a little off, JE's need a smaller bore than Venolia's as JE's only need .004 clearance. Ven's need .0075 clearance.

Ooops..I typoed! I meant it the other way around. I have JE's and they are set to a .004" clearance so I do know that, and knew that Venolias have a
.007 clearance. Demoss even told me JE's can be around .003 and I have a friend with a SBC that JE reccomended .002 for his application.

Dave
01-09-2006, 10:28 AM
No worries here for the fit and clearance for GLHS875's pistons. As SOON as they get here I'll be running them over to OhioRob's and him and I will take a spare bare block and the pistons and rings to the shop and have them work with it.

This will kind of be a pita, because the spare block is out of the long wheelbase van, but it's already gutted down to nothingness, so which means we'll just have to remove the entire motor from my van and swap the head.

Both vans will have identical internals aside from the pistons and rings.

This way it's far less complicated, time consuming, and costly. I think it's the better choice.

John B
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I have a set of new standard bore Wisecos 2.5 with pins, rings if you find that your bores will clean up with a hone.

Dave
01-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I have a set of new standard bore Wisecos 2.5 with pins, rings if you find that your bores will clean up with a hone.

Are they forged? If so how much are you asking?

John B
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Yes, forged Wiseco 2.5 turbo,standard bore, with .901" pins, rings, locks. Brand new, $325.00 + postage.

BIG PSI
01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, forged Wiseco 2.5 turbo,standard bore, with .901" pins, rings, locks. Brand new, $325.00 + postage.

John B;

I am DAVE's (real name Bryan) dad, I WILL have to check the bores first to see if the STD pistons will work. I wil have OhioRob do that Tuesday or Wed as out Mini and motor is at his house.

Thanks
Chuck

BIG PSI
01-09-2006, 07:41 PM

Well did the other person buy your pisons ?????????
Let me know

Chuck

BIG PSI
01-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Disreguard this post as I am OFFICIALLY getting out of TD

Chuck

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Ok, so you don't want the intake and valve cover baffle?

Good job I don't rush, :eyebrows:

Dave
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Ok, so you don't want the intake and valve cover baffle?

Good job I don't rush, :eyebrows:

Let him do what he wants, I'm still interested in the intake, Simon.

turbovanmanČ
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Let him do what he wants, I'm still interested in the intake, Simon.

Ok, cool.

BIG PSI
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
OK false alarm, I have cooled my temper SORRY. I just get upset with the cars always breaking and get frustrated. Maybe PAT will come home all fixed this time. Time will tell.

Chuck

BIG PSI
01-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Did you ever get thet Money Order yet ?? It was mailed to you on 1-14-06

Thanks
Chuck

jckrieger
01-24-2006, 12:59 AM
So you bought the 2.5L STD bore pistons?