PDA

View Full Version : socketed smec indentification

MNmopar
02-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Ok, so I know how to identify a smec/sbec by looking at the number on the main chip on the back, but what if that comp was socketed when you got it?

How do you identify a computer when that original chip is missing?

zin
02-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, the SBEC will be a single board, whereas the SMEC will still have the logic and power module as separate boards inside the common housing, also the SBEC will have one connector, while the SMEC will have two...

If you are referring to it's original application, that seems irrelevant as you can load whatever cal you want, stock or otherwise. But, I imagine someone like Shelgame could possibly ID it by some of the other chips installed, but I don't see the point given the cal options...

Mike

tryingbe
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Burn whatever cal you want onto the chip, problem solved.

MNmopar
02-17-2012, 10:15 PM
So you guys are saying all computers are the same aside from that chip? One smec to another, one sbec to another?

You could take a 2.5L auto smec and just swap in a 2.2L manual chip and it's exactly the same as if you started out with a 2.2L manual smec computer in the first place?

For example, if you're swapping a 1989 spirit es turbo with a 2.5L and auto transmission to a 2.2L manual transmission, you wouldn't need to pick up a 2.2L manual computer, you could just burn a 2.2L manual chip and use it in the stock 2.5L auto computer? And I don't mean will the car run, I mean will it run correctly in all areas?

turbovanmanČ
02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
So you guys are saying all computers are the same aside from that chip? One smec to another, one sbec to another?

You could take a 2.5L auto smec and just swap in a 2.2L manual chip and it's exactly the same as if you started out with a 2.2L manual smec computer in the first place?

Correct, but it has to be a turbo computer, tbi computers won't work. So as long as its a turbo SMEC, you can burn any cal you want, 2.2, 2.5, 2.4, 2.0L 16 valve, 8 valve, 20 valve, auto, 5 speed, doesn't matter. SBEC's are different, I think 90/91 are the same, then 92/93.

zin
02-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Technically, I think even the TBI computers would "work", as in run the program, but physically lack the driver to run the boost control ... IIRC, then if you ran a MBC you could... but that's a discussion for a different thread!

So yep,with rare exceptions, any socketed turbo computer can be programmed to any configuration, just load the cal that best fits your application!

Mike

MNmopar
02-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Very interesting, I didn't know that.

So which groups are the same? i.e. which year smec's and which sbec's?

If you have a 1992-1993 t1 computer you could just socket it and order a t3 cal and be good to go in your iroc rt? There's nothing special about iroc rt computers, for example?

If that's the case, why are they so expensive?

ShelGame
02-18-2012, 02:17 PM
For the SMEC - '88/89 all turbo computers are the same except that some '88's apparently don't have the hardware for the cruise control. 3.0V6 SMEC's can run turbo code. They just have an extra injector driver that will go unused.

For SBEC - '90/91 (and '89 CSX) all T1 and TIV computers are the same (there was no T2 SBEC) and can run either the Ti or TIV code. The TIII computer has an extra coil driver, so the TIII can't run on a T1 or TIV computer. However, a T1 or TIV can run on a TIII computer. The V6 swap won't work for the SBEC's since the V6 has only 3 injector drivers and all the turbo SBEC's (I, IV, and III) have 4.

For SBECII - '92/93 T1 and Mex T2 computers are the same. US-spec and Mex spec even run the same code, just different calibration values. Even the MEX 2.5 MPI uses the same (2-bar) code and computer. TIII again is different due to the extra coil driver, but T1 code can run on a TIII computer no problem. The 3.0 V6 computer for the SBECII has 6 injector drivers and 1 coil driver, so it's possible that they can run T1/T2 code. But I have not confirmed that they have the knock sensor circuitry (since the V6's did not come with one). The 3.3/3.8 V6 computer similarly has 6 injector drivers and 3 coil drivers. So, it's possible the 3.3/3.8 SBECII can run T1/T2 or TIII code. But, again, I have not been able to confirm if the knock sensor circuitry is present.

All years, TBI computers cannot run turbo cals. They'll run the code, but there are missing components on the boards to run the turbo engine.

MNmopar
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Wow, thanks for the info Rob!

Very interesting, I'm printing this up as I type this...

turbovanmanČ
02-18-2012, 05:31 PM
3.0V6 SMEC's can run turbo code. They just have an extra injector driver that will go unused.

DAMN, I did not know this, the local PAP literally gives those away, I could have saved myself a ton of grief, lol.

zin
02-20-2012, 11:59 AM
On the TBI computers, is the missing hardware the driver for boost control, or is there other needed drivers/hardware?

Mike

ShelGame
02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
On the TBI computers, is the missing hardware the driver for boost control, or is there other needed drivers/hardware?

Mike

I'm not sure exactly. You would think the Logic board would be the same. But, it's been tried and doesn't work. There are some (small) chips obviously missing, but I don't know what they are for.

I think you could actually convert a TBI LM (87) to turbo. The missing components are few and they're easy to add since it's all thru-hole construction instead of SM.