PDA

View Full Version : 3" X pipe with electric cutouts

8valves
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I made this for a 70 Roadrunner with a 496" BB setup. It's a cool ride, and it sounds absolutely wicked now, both closed with the X pipe and full exhaust, or open header through the super quality DMH electric cutouts.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/Eight_Valves/Fabricated%20Pieces/102_1704.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/Eight_Valves/Fabricated%20Pieces/102_1705.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/Eight_Valves/Fabricated%20Pieces/102_1706.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/Eight_Valves/Fabricated%20Pieces/102_1707.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/Eight_Valves/Fabricated%20Pieces/102_1709.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/Eight_Valves/Fabricated%20Pieces/102_1713.jpg

ajakeski
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
It's a piece of art.

8valves
02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Dude, fastest reply ever. Ha!

turbovanman²
02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I'll say it again, I hate you, lol.

Nice work, :nod:

omni_840
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Very nice as usual!

BadAssPerformance
02-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Nice work! :clap:

cordes
02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
THat looks really nice. Thanks for taking the time to share.

shackwrrr
02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I wish my unoh degree would have got me a job like that. I work at a damn Monroe muffler and get to dream about doing this.

How did you get to do that stuff after going to unoh? Did you know anyone before?

8valves
02-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys! I enjoy work like this.

Ian, I did this work at my home based business, not at my day job. But either way, UNOH didn't get me my day job, but it didn't hurt either. It gave me a broad general knowledge of some of the things I hadn't messed with prior to going there, and a chance to build upon what I had already dealt with.

I had already started learning to TIG weld for about a year on and off prior to any of the welding courses, for example. I had already been involved in standalone EMS tuning prior to classes, as another. Etc.

And yes, I knew some good people in the industry prior to going to school, but also met lots while networking like hell through the better instructors that were there. That was a huge plus, as well as applying for the SEMA scholarship and getting it. Free money and a free trip to Vegas/SEMA for writing a two page paper, and meeting people while there. No reason not to do it!

shackwrrr
02-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys! I enjoy work like this.

Ian, I did this work at my home based business, not at my day job. But either way, UNOH didn't get me my day job, but it didn't hurt either. It gave me a broad general knowledge of some of the things I hadn't messed with prior to going there, and a chance to build upon what I had already dealt with.

I had already started learning to TIG weld for about a year on and off prior to any of the welding courses, for example. I had already been involved in standalone EMS tuning prior to classes, as another. Etc.

And yes, I knew some good people in the industry prior to going to school, but also met lots while networking like hell through the better instructors that were there. That was a huge plus, as well as applying for the SEMA scholarship and getting it. Free money and a free trip to Vegas/SEMA for writing a two page paper, and meeting people while there. No reason not to do it!

I had a good knowledge of stuff before going but I didn't know anyone. I will admit that I didn't apply for the scholarship but wish I would have, I also started out not being into high performance, I just wanted to make my jeep a powerful offroader. Once I got into speed it was too late, I had "wasted" my classes on a truck motor that for some reason I didn't want to be high performance. I do remember the classes and I gained a a lot of info but if I spent my time on something else I may have learned more. I've been learning a lot more now that I've been working on my R/T but now the school loans are catching up and slowing progress.

I've since had to move back home which is a real killer on meeting anyone new in the high performance feild. Just rednecks with 2×4s jammed in their springs for a lift. Or automatic cavaliers with painted dashes still trying to be fast and furious. There aren't even any machine shops or Fab shops to speak of.

8valves
02-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Yeah, that makes it hard. You're only around an hour from National Trails Raceway though, try to find some local guys that go racing and see if you can give a hand with their efforts for the weekend perhaps? Hanging around the track can pay dividends if you present yourself well.

Just a thought, good luck with it!

wallace
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Beautiful work. What did you use to expand the pipes after the cutouts for the slip fit? I've been looking at some of the manual expanders like you see on ebay.

Force Fed Mopar
02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
I've since had to move back home which is a real killer on meeting anyone new in the high performance feild. Just rednecks with 2×4s jammed in their springs for a lift. Or automatic cavaliers with painted dashes still trying to be fast and furious. There aren't even any machine shops or Fab shops to speak of.

About the same boat I am in, I have the same ambitions (my own performance shop) and the same kind of local customer base lol. However, that can be used to your advantage also, because that means there is no one close that does that sort of work, so if you can get into doing it you'll be the only game in town, so to speak. The main thing to remember is not to go cheap just to get customers. Insist on good work and quality parts, charge a fair price that still lets you make money, and do your best to stand behind your work, and you will get the customer base you want. It will take time though, especially if you don't have a lot of money to start out with. But people with money will pay for quality work, even if they have to buy their own parts or pay up front.

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Yeah, that makes it hard. You're only around an hour from National Trails Raceway though, try to find some local guys that go racing and see if you can give a hand with their efforts for the weekend perhaps? Hanging around the track can pay dividends if you present yourself well.

Just a thought, good luck with it!

This is good advice also :)

Ondonti
02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Is that your preferred cutout?

Reaper1
02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Aaron, we need to get together about my Masi manifold!

Email me at: grimmreaper90@gmail.com when you get a chance.

Vigo
02-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Sometimes i wonder how many people look at the stuff you build and see the pretty welds more than they see the flowpath.

welds=talk, flowpath=walk.

Nice piece!

Force Fed Mopar
02-18-2012, 08:07 AM
I think it is just assumed that if he builds it, it flows great :D

8valves
02-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Beautiful work. What did you use to expand the pipes after the cutouts for the slip fit? I've been looking at some of the manual expanders like you see on ebay.

Just took it down to a local muffler place and had them expand it. It was amusing, he kept asking me if I was sure it wasn't Titanium, :D

Is that your preferred cutout?

From now on it is! They seem to be fantastic quality, work great, reasonably priced, 4 year warranty, and the owner of the company was great to deal with.

Aaron, we need to get together about my Masi manifold!

Email me at: grimmreaper90@gmail.com when you get a chance.

Yessir, I will try to remember. If not you have my email, shoot me one to remind me.

Sometimes i wonder how many people look at the stuff you build and see the pretty welds more than they see the flowpath.

welds=talk, flowpath=walk.

Nice piece!

Thanks. I wanted to put the cutout after the X, but the customer wanted the traditional big Chrysler open header exhaust note on this particular car, so before it they went. There's a reason I chose not to buy the Flowtech style premade cutouts.

bfarroo
02-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Just took it down to a local muffler place and had them expand it. It was amusing, he kept asking me if I was sure it wasn't Titanium, :D

From now on it is! They seem to be fantastic quality, work great, reasonably priced, 4 year warranty, and the owner of the company was great to deal with.

Yessir, I will try to remember. If not you have my email, shoot me one to remind me.

Thanks. I wanted to put the cutout after the X, but the customer wanted the traditional big Chrysler open header exhaust note on this particular car, so before it they went. There's a reason I chose not to buy the Flowtech style premade cutouts.

I wonder if there would be any power to be gained with the cutout after the X for scavaging. It would definitely mellow out the tone if they were after the X which sounds like something the customer didn't want.

shelbymonster
02-28-2012, 06:27 AM
a 496 sounds badazz only with a 3 inch exaust !(dads car) i want to hear it with the cut-outs !!!!

TheCanadian007
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Might I ask where you purchased the cutout from and how much it was?

8valves
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.dmhperformance.com/