PDA

View Full Version : TIII Mitsubishi 2.4 idler

shackwrrr
02-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Has anyone tried an idler from a 2.4 Mitsubishi in a Stratus? Found one in a bucket at work and it looks perfect. I am wanting to use it to do the "jackson mod".

Looked it up and it appears to be the same idler as the 2.4 dodge idler too.

The idler is making nasty noises and since my snow incident killed the belt I figured I would finally change it

iTurbo
02-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Haven't tried that one but I did use one from the Chrysler 3.5L V6. I had to space it out with a washer but it worked great. I also looked all over the place for a suitable timing belt tensioner from another application that would work on the TIII but could never find anything. Thankfully Adam Lengel makes some really nice idlers and tensioners that are way better than factory ones which are apparently long gone.

shackwrrr
02-14-2012, 12:13 AM
I do plan on getting a tensioner from adam, and if I were keeping the idler in the stock location I would probably get that from him too but since I dictate the placement the diameter can vary somewhat with the idler.

My next worry is timing belts, the length/pattern is specific to the TIII so the stock is running out. Might have to start looking into round tooth timing gear conversions for a more common pattern.

Ive been eyeing used dry sump parts on ebay though so it might not matter much for me anymore ;)

shackwrrr
02-14-2012, 11:41 PM
2.4 idler sits too high, ended up going with the 3.5 idler. Thanks iturbo

iTurbo
02-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Glad to help! Here is a couple pictures of a 3.5L pulley vs the TIII idler. I know I have another pic of it installed in my white Spirit R/T but can't find it at the moment.