PDA

View Full Version : my turbo engine build

paduster
02-12-2012, 05:36 PM
well this is just a list i want to put together for my records and to get input on the build. so first i will list what i would like to get to put a turbo project together so that would be the last time i have to put it together i dont want to have to put anything else into it after i put it together. now with that please if i am missing something or you have a good argument on why i don't need something please speak up. i will listen.

so here it goes
1. cross over turbo manifold (i have acquired the crossover pipe that ed made for another member that he sold to me cause he was getting out of 3.0s so need the manifolds still)
2. turbo (getting one from dr. shed on the other site a holset hx30)
3.wastegate (as the holset has an internal but not sure if i can get it low enough explain later and the crossover pipe already has the place for one)
4. intercooler and piping and bov
5. megasqurit (most likely 2 but open to 3 if you can prove to me that is worth the extra cost)
6.the engine it self (now i want to put a 10:1 motor together and run lower boost cause i want to stay to stock internals. now i know i said that i want to put it together for the last time but i mean in the form of the "turbo kit".)(now getting the 10:1 short block out the local pick a part and getting another full motor out a dodge so i can get all the acc.and the normal oil filter location)
7. lsd and also the drainplug mod (please if someone got a pic of this done or a thread showing it done please a link.
8. wastegate(external or internal)

MC#4
02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm curious, where does your car stand now as far as modifications?

What are your plans for this? looking to drag it, autocross, or just make a cool street car?

Mdoe8
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
HX30 seems awfully small. Even an hx35 is on the smaller side.

Are you going to weld the internal flapper up and go external?

paduster
02-12-2012, 07:06 PM
i dont have the car yet looking to get it here right now looking to get a shell off a member here soon as i can get a truck to tow it here

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

wasn't sure thought about just wiring the flapper shut but if the general conciseness its that it is to small then i wont buy it and wait to find something better
HX30 seems awfully small. Even an hx35 is on the smaller side.

Are you going to weld the internal flapper up and go external?

Ondonti
02-12-2012, 08:32 PM
You can tack weld the thing shut also. Clamp the arm tight and then tack. Info about the hx30? Google seems to say its fairly small. A little smaller then a 50 trim t4 compressor? Not sure about the exhaust.

paduster
02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
haven't been able to find much on it as it was an industrial application and would seem like with that i dont think i am going to get it

Mdoe8
02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I've got a buddy selling an ebay T61 pretty cheaply if you're interested.

He ran it on his supra for 8k miles without a flinch. PM me if interested.

Sundance 6g72
02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
hes using the same turbo as me.. ebay special. id think he would be keeping the holset if it was desirable to run on a 3.0 yet he keeps the ebay turbo?

i would go a little bigger.

paduster
02-12-2012, 11:16 PM
well still this is why i asked for input sounds like i aint buying that turbo. thats leeds me to go get the shell i want sooner rather than later but i am moving a good and bad thing. i will have to wait till after i move in to get the car but i am moving to a place with a garage. i cant wait. so i guess what i need to know is what ALL i will need to get this motor turboed and what will last not looking for cheap but willing to try ebay stuff if everyone thinks it will last. need to add to the list now is a wastegate now too. and what would u order or what do you have on your car ondonti.

Sundance 6g72
02-12-2012, 11:35 PM
im going to post a thread i made on turbododge.

if i was you. i would build the motor and install it with stock ecu. break it in and then install megasquirt and tune for a N/A tune. then install turbo and tune for N/a

much safer for a first time tuner and turbo user. with N/A you can do almost anything without killing the motor (esspecially with stockish 3.0)

you always want to break a motor in with a tune that is 100% proven to work well AKA stock ecu. the guys who break in brand new turbo motors with no base tune amaze me.. the window to break in is small, dont want to mess with getting the tune drivable.

paduster
02-15-2012, 09:13 AM
well the car i am putting it in most likely will not have the wiring in it so thats why i was going to just use mega squirt to break it in but was going to do it with no boost but i am thinking now that i might just put it in the baron for break in till i get that car put the whole way together but the more i am thinking about it a turbo v6 in a baron convertible

Sundance 6g72
02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
if you can do it that way, then do it. otherwise im sure my base tune will get you down the road. its easy to dial in WOT fueling. espesially in a N/A motor.

its best to break in with boost.. but sense you wont have a tune for boost, that would be a bad idea :(

paduster
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
well it will be a while till this gets done need money and time both are stretched thin

on another note i bought matt cramer & jerry hoffmann's book performance fuel injection systems book and just started reading it and will let everyone know if it is worth reading