PDA

View Full Version : manual rad fan

boostedbaron89
02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
im looking at puting in manual rad fan control on my 89 gtc. i have an auto meter water temp guage and in order to run it ( dont trust stocker guage) i have to elimenate the stock wire that goes on the coolant temp sensor which controls my rad fan. i hate electrical so what i was told is that i need cut out of a donar car the fan wire that comes off the main wiring harness and connect to my rad fan then butt splice a inline fuse which will go to a switch that controls my rad fan . what guage wire do i need and what amp fuse and control switch do i need.

turbovanmanČ
02-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Why would you remove the factory relay? Simply find the rad fan relay, look for the very thin wire by itself, run a wire from that to a toggle switch, other side goes to ground, now you have a manual fan switch AND you keep the factory control in case you forget. You are simply grounding out the relay, just like the factory. This will set a code but won't put the check engine light on.

ShelGame
02-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Why would you remove the factory relay? Simply find the rad fan relay, look for the very thin wire by itself, run a wire from that to a toggle switch, other side goes to ground, now you have a manual fan switch AND you keep the factory control in case you forget. You are simply grounding out the relay, just like the factory. This will set a code but won't put the check engine light on.

Hows does it set a code? What code? I was thinking to do the exact same thing on my Daytona when I add the electric water pump. I'll have a switch for the pump, and have a jumper from the pump relay over to the fan relay so that anytime the pump is on, the fan is on. Though, I suppose computer control is kind of redundant in that case...

turbovanmanČ
02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Hows does it set a code? What code? I was thinking to do the exact same thing on my Daytona when I add the electric water pump. I'll have a switch for the pump, and have a jumper from the pump relay over to the fan relay so that anytime the pump is on, the fan is on. Though, I suppose computer control is kind of redundant in that case...

It sets a code for the rad fan relay, I guess when you ground it, it wigs the computer out as it hasn't turned it on yet.

When I get a chance, I'll pull up the code.

shackwrrr
02-12-2012, 11:00 PM
im looking at puting in manual rad fan control on my 89 gtc. i have an auto meter water temp guage and in order to run it ( dont trust stocker guage) i have to elimenate the stock wire that goes on the coolant temp sensor which controls my rad fan. i hate electrical so what i was told is that i need cut out of a donar car the fan wire that comes off the main wiring harness and connect to my rad fan then butt splice a inline fuse which will go to a switch that controls my rad fan . what guage wire do i need and what amp fuse and control switch do i need.

Gauge sender does not control fan the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat box controls it (and the computer) so getting rid of it is bad.