View Full Version : bored on a sat night and picked on by AWD

Sundance 6g72
02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjq3jB7DJdg&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnJDph87cY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=def1RRqq49U&feature=player_embedded

Reaper1
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Have you had it at the track yet? What numbers did it put down on the dyno, out of curiosity?

Sundance 6g72
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
the dyno run was when i was N/A sadly.

i hope to hit that same dyno this summer when Bulls Eye Power has their yearly open house (they are local!)

no track, im in michigan and its cold out but no snow right now. im hesitent to hit the track with an open diff and 195 60s. im to poor for anything better as of now

if the car isnt blown up, ill be at SDAC 2012 for sure. i have work off and my parents are paying for it all for my birthday.

Shadowv4l
02-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Please tell me you have some higher speed rated tires in the plans.

Sundance 6g72
02-06-2012, 11:13 PM
i rarely exceed 130. mine are H rated and in nice condition

i rarely hit over 100.. if im racing we will do 115 and let off because its clear who has won most of the time.

Shadowv4l
02-06-2012, 11:21 PM
WHAT?! you have never wanted to push it further than 130?

I know the answer because you are still alive, hahaha.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I thought the winner was they guy who pushed the limit further than the other guy without dying. You know "Who has the bigger balls" rules.

Sundance 6g72
02-06-2012, 11:22 PM
ive done 163, dont tell my mom

im never doing that again unless i have the tires for it. we wanted to see what it could do.. didnt even realize i was going that fast to be honest. datalog showed 6126rpms in 5th with 24.5inch tires. a543 with 3.77 final drive

there just isnt much reason to go that fast around here.. when we race, its over when we know who is going to win and then let off so we can run a different car.

Shadowv4l
02-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Yeah anything above 140mph in a shadow feels like death due to the wind noise and high RPMs. Doing the same speed in a more refined car just isn't as fun.

Sundance 6g72
02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
it didnt feel dangerous to me, thats the scary thing. maybe i was too focused on the road and not paying attention to noises.

i lowered my spark plug gap some more and leaned it out a bit from the stupid 10.1:1 crap and it seems more violent during acceloration

i hope to run the s4 again this weekend and see if i can stay right on him instead of being a car behind the whole time. ill have to get them to start at 55 instead of 45.. i used 2nd and had to jump into 3rd right away and that slowed me down. you can tell in the end of my video because i dont keep with him right away and then i hook up in third and stay on him.

its fun hanging with cars that cost twice as much AT LEAST.

Shadowv4l
02-06-2012, 11:41 PM
I'd like to know what kind of hp/tq numbers you are hitting mainly because I wouldn't see racing an fat S4 as a problem or a seewbareeewww.

Sundance 6g72
02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
im almost positive im not at the 300whp goal yet. id like to do some backto back dyno runs with two different timing maps

i think with cams ill hit 300whp and pull on them both. not sure how turbos effect where cars make peak power but im sure my cam setup is not good for my turbo setup. Cams drop off at 4500rpms when N/A and become pigs at 5500rpms.. problem is, the turbo likes to get ripping at 4000rpms and pull hard. overboost to 12psi in 4th. If i had cams that liked that kind of rpm i think it would really help.

if i could get boost to build earlier i would have the classic high tq but less hp turbo dodge type numbers.

the s4 was "profesionaly tuned" to 18psi and has an exhaust. stock they have like 10psi. My car has ductape holding some of the piping together (hasnt blown apart yet somehow.. im sure it leaks a little. map sensor reads 12psi so who cares) ill fix that eventually

timing is just a conservative setting by me.. no dyno numbers to back them up

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417844_10150648061793899_534573898_10915117_990901 405_n.jpg

Shadowv4l
02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
yeah thats a big turbo and one hell of a late spool for that engine. the 3.0 isnt exactly your best high RPM performance engine with factory cams, they enjoy the lower RPM range.

Just seems like a heavy, less efficient engine for this type of thing. But now that you are so far in I say keep going foward! Being different is half the fun anyways.

Sundance 6g72
02-06-2012, 11:58 PM
well its really responsive on the highway as far as 3rd and 4th go. with a set of cams i think it would be twice as mean

it starts to build boost no matter what rpm im at but it dosnt start to really scream until 4000rpms.. if i could get a cam that starts to get hot at 1000rpms later then id be in business, reving to 6500-7000rpms. ive reved higher but it dosnt go anywhere. once i get my overboost fixed ill rev to 7000rpms and see how it feels. turbo is good at masking flaws in the powerband

Ondonti
02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
yeah thats a big turbo and one hell of a late spool for that engine. the 3.0 isnt exactly your best high RPM performance engine with factory cams, they enjoy the lower RPM range.

Just seems like a heavy, less efficient engine for this type of thing. But now that you are so far in I say keep going foward! Being different is half the fun anyways.
What you got under the hood to bother making such a comment lol.
Running 15's on 10psi gets old doesn't it?
I would prefer about 3-4 seconds faster on that much boost.

Sundance 6g72
02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
http://tigerhoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Michael+Jackson+likes+popcorn+www+thefacepalm+org_ 17ff93_218203.gif

Shadowv4l
02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
What you got under the hood to bother making such a comment lol.
Running 15's on 10psi gets old doesn't it?
I would prefer about 3-4 seconds faster on that much boost.

LOL @ 10psi
and LOL @ track car that doesn't take turns

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/Shadowv4l/DynosheetforCSX802.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

and that was with a huge and stupid turbo setup with laggggggg

Ondonti
02-15-2012, 07:05 AM
So what you are saying is you could have picked a motor that would make more power on less boost for a wider range of RPMS and not have all that lag. I mean...there is a boltin 6g75 that will make darn near the same power BEFORE you boost it.
To me those look like stock ecu low compression hackjob numbers (what I do) but maybe I am jaded from seeing what pure boat anchor essence can do.

http://thepolyman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/how-charlie-sheen-is-winning-with-tiger-blood.jpg

I prefer the argument "I work on a motor because I like it" over "I work on a motor because I pretend a lot of things about it." Never wrong to work on something because you just like it. Have you noticed our cars are piles of crap? Did that ever stop you? NO! Don't forget that and pretend there is pixie dust under the hood. You like it because you like it. That is all there is to it.
There is always a 350 SBC when your insecurities get the best of you. :wave1: It will not disappoint, but it will be boring.

RoadWarrior222
02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
So you're saying, Ron Jeremy doesn't have to drive a Corvette?

Shadowv4l
02-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I like the 2.2L because it is cake to work which means more time for driving and less time fixing. And not to mention everything is dirt cheap, best bang for your buck.
I own 2 3.0L's and I love them for what they are, you can't get a better DD engine than that but I would never bother boosting it. I like the idea if someone else wants to do it but its just not for me. It's like my friend who owns a VW, ill work on it and enjoy cruising in it but im glad I dont own it. His huge turbo'd 1.8T makes 100 more HP yet I still beat him, thats why I enjoy the 2.2L 8valve.

anyways, keep up the good work!

contraption22
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I couldn't get past the riveting gas station scene.

turbovanmanČ
02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah anything above 140mph in a shadow feels like death due to the wind noise and high RPMs. Doing the same speed in a more refined car just isn't as fun.

I feel like that at 60 mph in the van, :eyebrows:

Sundance 6g72
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I couldn't get past the riveting gas station scene.

so why bother posting a comment? I took the time to work on my car through highschool, go out and have fun, make a video and i get people like you who get pissed and stop watching because the beginning wasnt good enough for them. to boring ehh?

and lets stop arguing about 2.2 vs. 3.0 ehh? we all have our preference. no need to make sarcastic or snoody comments (not saying you were, shadow)

Saying the 3.0 isnt something to be boosted is crap. its rev happy as hell when setup right. It responds to boost very well and is very reliable. sound like a 2.2? I think so. (thats my argument, and it ends here)

The only experience i have with a 2.2 turbo was a t1 that wasnt mine. it was so slow in stock form it made me cry. felt like my car in stock form. Its all about what you put into it and what you want. I was given my car, i put a turbo on it and i reap the benefits. Saying the 2.2 is easy to work on (relitive to the 3.0) is also crap. i could fire right back at trying to swap turbos on a 2.2 for the first time while the motor is in the car. Thats some fun stuff.

and anyone who even thinks im hating on the 2.2 2.5 or whatever can go take a hike. Why do you think i plan on going to SDAC this year? to meet up with fellow 3.0 guys? pshh plz. im going because i like these cars and i like what shelby did with them. I like how a friend of mine took his omni down the track at drag week in 11 seconds all week with only 8 valves.

so with that, end the 2.2 vs 3.0 crap right here or take it to PMs. This is about my video that I took of a freaking saterday night of my friends and i having a little fun. Testing out the waters for my car to see if i could hang with them (and i should have been faster than them, but i wasnt) I have to perfect my setup bla bla bla bla bla

enjoy the video, make a productive comment. or leave.

Ondonti
02-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Police not showing up is a plus! Some places hate cars and I know of one that reserves a spot for the local Don King of the streets. Must be all the gas money he brings in.

contraption22
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
so why bother posting a comment? I took the time to work on my car through highschool, go out and have fun, make a video and i get people like you who get pissed and stop watching because the beginning wasnt good enough for them. to boring ehh?

Sorry man. I didn't mean for it to be taken so personally. I'm not taking anything away from the work you did on your car.

RoadWarrior222
02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
I feel like that at 60 mph in the van, :eyebrows:Nahhhhh.... oh wait, did you pull all the insulation out of yours?

Mine there's been a couple of times, when I had a "Gotta get away from this bunch of 'tards*" moment on the highway, followed by burying the pedal, followed by a "Holy f**k" moment when seeing the speedo at 3 or 4 o' clock, didn't feel like I was going that fast...

(* you know, when you get stuck behind a number of people who appear to be having animated convos with passengers, talking on the phone, trying to change babies, etc etc all weaving all over the damn place, brake checking and tailgating each other and generally seeming like a 30 car pile-up looking for somewhere to happen.)

Shadowv4l
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
that happens alot to me, I like to be in a neutral zone on the highway away from as many people as possible. Sometimes you really gotta fight your way through but when you finally break away its the best feeling of freedom. And then of course you have those people that get mad and try to follow you for the sake of "teaching you a lesson" , its like they get pissed that you broke free and left them behind. "how dare he break free of this bullshit, he should have to suffer like the rest of us!"

RoadWarrior222
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Yah, tards travel in packs, and usually the speed of each pack is about 5 over, so you try and cruise in the lulls between packs, but when you find a pack doing 5 under, you can't just lurk around behind them, because you know that the next pack doing 5 over is gonna fill in behind you in about 10 mins time AND start trying to get through the 5 unders... and that's some freaking hairy sh!t right there... I just don't got enough eyes.

Ondonti
02-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Isnt that what helps keep you up on a long drive? All the bad driving!