PDA

View Full Version : Needing advice on exhaust setup

LaserGurl
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Ok, Im getting ready to work on the exhaust side of my 86 shelby charger (T2 conversion). I already have a 2.5" down pipe, I'm looking to get everything from there back. FWDPerformance has a 2.5" cat back set up that I'm thinking about getting.

What would be a good choice for a muffler that would fit well in the stock location?

Does it need to be oval or round?

Does the "turbo" muffler work ok without adding too much back pressure?

Should I run a cat or just put in a "test" pipe?

Are there any other less expensive options that still keep the 2.5" pipe all the way back?

On the other hand, If I put a muffler where the cat usually goes and then do a side exit, how obnoxious would that be?

And what mufler would fit that location?

I'm on a budget, but I only want to have to do this once.

Thanks guys! I appreciate any help that you can give me!

Tifany

roachjuice
02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
i run a 2.5in exhaust no cat no muffler. dumped under the car right before the rear axle. now thats budget. lol. no muffler on a turbo car really isnt all that loud. you dont need a cat or muffler. just dump it like mine or run it out the side before the driver side rear tire. :eyebrows:

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

also there isnt an inspection in oklahoma. so no need for a cat! :)

BadAssPerformance
02-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Ok, Im getting ready to work on the exhaust side of my 86 shelby charger (T2 conversion). I already have a 2.5" down pipe, I'm looking to get everything from there back. FWDPerformance has a 2.5" cat back set up that I'm thinking about getting.

What would be a good choice for a muffler that would fit well in the stock location?

Interesting, "cat back" would let me think it would include a muffler? Mayeb not cus there are too many options?

The muffler choise depends on where the "over the axle" pipe lands WRT the current muffler location... if similar location, then similar muffler geometry should work. By geometry i mean center-in/center-out or center-in/side-out, etc. for ovals.

Does it need to be oval or round?

Whatever fits... both can, depending on where the pipe lands over the axle

Does the "turbo" muffler work ok without adding too much back pressure?

Not too bad, 2.5" "Turbo" will be a tad louder than stock

Should I run a cat or just put in a "test" pipe?

Do you have local e-check? In not, well... ;)

Are there any other less expensive options that still keep the 2.5" pipe all the way back?

A local shop might be able to bend you something for less, but it's not going to be "mandrel bent" meaning the MSB (muffler shop bend) is gonna have reduced cross section (read:reduced flow) in the bends... Now, with that said, a MSB 3" will be as good or better than a MB 2.5", but you'd have to price out your options...

On the other hand, If I put a muffler where the cat usually goes and then do a side exit, how obnoxious would that be?

thats totally up to your personal preference there... kinda noisy

And what mufler would fit that location?

A skinny bullet type thats not too much of a muffler or a small round one thats also not too much of a muffler LOL

For noise, the turbo REALLY quiets things down, and these cars are not terribly loud with an open DP, well, untill you whoop on it, then it gets REALLY loud, LOL

I'm on a budget, but I only want to have to do this once.

Right on!

Thanks guys! I appreciate any help that you can give me!

Tifany

No problem, sorry not much help tho, LOL!

Added a pic of my Shadow with the Z's old MSB 3" and Dynomax Race Magnum Oval... a VERY nice sounding muffler

LaserGurl
02-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!! This is the first time Ive ever done a complete exhaust system, so I'm still still learning stuff! Like I said, I only wanna do this once so I wanna do it right! :) So, it looks like I'm not gonna worry bout the cat for now. I actually got under the car and checked things out again and the factory muffler looks to be a longer round one, so Ill go with something similer. The side exit is kinda tempting me though, it looks pretty cool! lol

Thanks again!

Tif

OmniLuvr
02-03-2012, 07:50 PM
i love my cars loud, ive actually been running mine with about an 8" long downpipe for 5 months because i like the sound of the turbo. ive also ran side exit exhaust on every one of my l-bodys, and i love that, lighter and less bends than a full exhaust. BUT, the 2 problems i have with it are- 1. when you pull up to a drive thru, the exhaust that exits the vehicle goes straight into the microphone, makes it hard to order and makes the drive thru person upset (usaully not a good thing) and 2. if a motorcyle cop rolls up next to you, looks at your exhaust blowing on his boot, then gives you a funny look, chances are you could get pulled over (ask me how i know). the second may only apply if you live in a smog natzi state, but im sure some others may not like it (neighbors if your sneaking home at 2 am).

but other than that, ive ran 90% of my cars with no mufflers or cats and usaully dont have problems, i didnt like how my car sounded with no muffler (and no cat)when the exhaust piping was all the way to the back, but it sounds awesome with it out the side or dumped before the axle...

Force Fed Mopar
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I just went to the local exhaust shop and had them install 3" from the turbo back. I supplied the downpipe (a TU piece) and the muffler. Tucked up out of sight well, had no leaks, and only cost $150. Not mandrel bent, but it has the smooth crimp bends (not the crinkle bends). Flows plenty enough for any mild setup IMHO.

Stock mufflers are round, but I have seen all shapes installed. Lots of people seem to like the Magnaflow.

BadAssPerformance
02-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I just went to the local exhaust shop and had them install 3" from the turbo back. .... and only cost $150..... Not mandrel bent, but it has the smooth crimp bends (not the crinkle bends). Flows plenty enough for any mild setup IMHO..

Not a bad price.. the setup on my Shadow cost about that when it went the shop bent ut up for the Z in ~1995, LOL

FWIW, my T2 Shadow has the stock '87 2.25" SV and DP... and has run 12.89@104 BOTH with the DP open, and with the MSB 3" / Race Magnum muffler behind it... so Yeah, liek Rob said, it brethes decent for what it is

Polygon
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I would suggest putting the muffler right after the cat. I like not being able to see it and it sounds great. There is also no drone. I use a DynoMax Race Bullet. It's a straight through round muffler. The rest of the system is the FWDP 3" mandrel bent system for the J-body.

Sundance 6g72
02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
pay the few extra bucks for a 3inch pipe setup. the less restriction on a turbo car the better

cordes
02-16-2012, 01:07 AM
pay the few extra bucks for a 3inch pipe setup. the less restriction on a turbo car the better

The only thing I don't like about 3" is the lack of clearance over the rear axle. Mine has never been quite right there and it vibrates on the car. That's quite annoying. However, I have read that the vendor kits have improved in recent years.

fishcleaner
02-16-2012, 01:40 AM
I like the Dynomax mufflers but I'm trying out the Magnaflow on this car. 3" over the axle is tight but it fits. If I do it again I would use the alumanized steel pipe over the stainless, lighter, much cheaper and the sound is better. 376173761837619

Juggy
02-17-2012, 06:40 AM
personally, I am a big fan of the Dynomax "ultraflow" been running them on my cars for 10+ years now, but not the cheapest muffler around (especially if u want stainless)

i agree with JT and the side exits are rather loud and obnoxious.....

you mentioned wanting to do it right the first time, so id suggest going with 3" exhaust.

Ive driven cars around on the street with open downpipes. you have to remember that the turbo actuates as a muffler.....its rather silent cruising around......just dont hammer the throttle or let the engine brake itself....youll get pulled over in no time hahahhaa

PunKid
02-17-2012, 08:33 AM
I ran the full 3" from Turbo Unleashed and put a Magnaflow in oval straight through design in place of the cat. It tucks up perfect and sounds great, not too loud. the around the tank and axle is a bit tight but I managed to get it with no rattles.

This is on an 85 GLH-T T1 so the under side should be identical to yours