PDA

View Full Version : Lowering My Van, Have Pics And Questions

1BADVAN
02-02-2012, 01:05 PM
I am starting at the rear. Here Are Some Pics Of the Before.

My Plan is to Remove some leafs, I already have the drivers side leaf on the ground, and I am wondering a few things.

What leafs should i remove, or does it matter?

Do i need to make new bands to band the leafs together or can i leave those off and let the u-bolts do it?

Last to those who have replaced the bushings

Any tips on removing the old ones?

And Can you replace the front bushing without a press? It looks similar to the front engine mount that you can beat out with a hammer, but I thought i would ask.

More pics of the progress to come.
Thanks!

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
The rear bushings take heat, drills and a die grinder and lots of time, the front, never had to replace them as I've never seen a bad one, lol.

You should restrap the leaf packs, as for which one to remove, no idea. FYI though, removing leafs affects the carrying capacity.

1BADVAN
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
ok thanks on the front bushing it seemed easy to move the leaf with the rear unbolted. Is that normal?
Should i just look for a crushed bushing and call it good if not?

Any Ideas on what to use to re-strap them?

ALSO I just bought new van springs from rock auto (TRWs for $22)

I plan on buying Daytona GR-2s and cut the springs for my van. Do i cut the top or bottom of the spring?

Thanks

And as far as the load capacity I am not concerned i am doing this to make it handle better and i don't use it for anything but fun.

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Stop by any spring shop and get some of the strapping, or maybe hose clamps?

As for the front bushing, its supposed to move but never really checked how much. As long as the bushing isn't torn, just keep it. Did you get PB's rear bushings, they work awesome, eliminated alot of the rear end wiggle when cornering over bumps.

Cut the bottom of the spring, if you mod the top, it won't fit under the bearing cap anymore. I would try to find some Gabriel Ultra's, stiffer strut.

GLHNSLHT2
02-02-2012, 06:02 PM
what's in pics #1 and 2?

vipernbox
02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Instead of taking out a leaf... You could try to rearch them yourself.. On the last van I did this actually increased the initial spring rate because the leafs were not all touching at ride height before... and were after the rearch.. minor difference of course.. but at the very least nothing was lost..

Just be sure to layout where you started by tracing the spring shape onto cardboard, or chalk the floor (in a area where you are not walking) this way you know where you are going based on where you have been. I can't remember.. But I think once I even rearched a spring on a van the opposite direction reversing the 'eye' on one side..

Either rearching the springs yourself.. Or paying someone to do it is far superior to taking out leafs simply because if you lose a leaf.. you lose springrate..

Now.. about how to re-arch them yourself... You need a big crosspeen hammer and a couple blocks.. Or.. even better.. a press.. YES you can re-arch them cold. spring shops often do it this way..

You simply lay the spring b/t two blocks (old rail road track works excellent, but use your imagination) and whack away.. Working up and down the spring until the desired shape is achieved..

Here... Something like this...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90824

And no matter what anybody says anywhere.. Rearching them yourself is way better than simply throwing out leafs...

1BADVAN
02-02-2012, 06:28 PM
what's in pics #1 and 2?

That is the rear brake adjuster, more for my own reference so i know what to set it at again when i put it back together. It adjusts according to the load.

ShelGame
02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I paid a shop to re-arch mine. It was like $80 for the pair. Well worth it considering how much time I would have spent on it. They restrapped it for me too. I dropped the rear about 2" that way. It settled a little so, I just put a 1" lift block in there and it came out perfect.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?43651-Base-model-2.5-TBI-Voyager-to-Turbo-project.&highlight=shelgame+minivan

I wish I hadn't sold it now...

1BADVAN
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Ok well the bushings were way Easy a few came out by hand and the others with a min or 2 of pulling with pliers :)

Now the bad news

Anyone have a good shackle for sale?

turbovanmanČ
02-02-2012, 10:12 PM
And no matter what anybody says anywhere.. Rearching them yourself is way better than simply throwing out leafs...

I preach that but no one listens, :(

That is the rear brake adjuster, more for my own reference so i know what to set it at again when i put it back together. It adjusts according to the load.

Don't put it back where it was, you will lock the rear brakes up. I found out the hard way to adjust it, I had lowered it, roads were damp, had to do a minor panic stopped, back end locked up and I was sideways, lol.

I paid a shop to re-arch mine. It was like $80 for the pair. Well worth it considering how much time I would have spent on it. They restrapped it for me too. I dropped the rear about 2" that way. It settled a little so, I just put a 1" lift block in there and it came out perfect.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?43651-Base-model-2.5-TBI-Voyager-to-Turbo-project.&highlight=shelgame+minivan

I wish I hadn't sold it now...

Agreed again and yeah, vans rock, lol. :partywoot:

Ok well the bushings were way Easy a few came out by hand and the others with a min or 2 of pulling with pliers :)

Now the bad news

Anyone have a good shackle for sale?

I probably have one, I'll check tomorrow.

1BADVAN
02-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Stop by any spring shop and get some of the strapping, or maybe hose clamps?

As for the front bushing, its supposed to move but never really checked how much. As long as the bushing isn't torn, just keep it. Did you get PB's rear bushings, they work awesome, eliminated alot of the rear end wiggle when cornering over bumps.

Cut the bottom of the spring, if you mod the top, it won't fit under the bearing cap anymore. I would try to find some Gabriel Ultra's, stiffer strut.

I think i will try the hose clamps and I have all the polybushings for the front and rear. I installed poly sway-bar bushings and that helped so doing the rest should change it a bunch.

The local spring shop quoted me $60 do de-arch, but i am not sure if i want to spend the money yet, when leaf removal is free.

I just ordered a 1 1/8" rear sway bar from Johnny so that should help the rear even with a lower spring rate with a leaf removed.

So the Gabriel Ultras are available on Ebay and Amazon for about the same price as the GR-2s, If they are better i will get them.

I hope to get some coil-over parts for the front also. i want to do this

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?7938-How-To-Coil-Over-Install-How-To

vipernbox
02-04-2012, 09:20 PM
YOu want to do the dearch... It is even more important for handling than it is load carrying.. No point in lowering so it will 'handle better' while giving up spring rate.. Extra sway bar or not..

For 60 bucks they are going to put it across a press and bend the way I posted in videos above.. You can do this with some thought, a big hammer and patience for free..

Also.. Grease the springs, between the leafs and such really well.. Assemble them like normal.. Then more grease and cover with a old bicycle inner tube for the extra smooth spring action touch. :)

I just have to beat this drum.. I can't help it..

1BADVAN
02-04-2012, 09:23 PM
But wouldn't the extra spring rate been better shocks to control them?

Also i don't have any way to de arch them myself so its $60 or nothing

vipernbox
02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
I am not talking about adding spring rate... Just not losing it..

and you can do it.. Just requires some elbow grease.. (and earplugs) Blacksmiths have done it this way for centuries. :eyebrows:

It is just hard work.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/hammers.cfm

forcedfedmopar
02-04-2012, 09:37 PM
i removed my 18" spring on my van. it wasnt quite what i wanted but was the best of both worlds. I found removing any 2 spings no matter combination will lower it too far and will hit the bump stops easily. i still dolly my omni with this van with the onle leaf removed.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/forcedfedmopar/Van/102_0399.jpg