PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap

Sandy_Siegel
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I have a 1958 plymouth with the origional torqueflight transmission in it. I was given a rebuilt 69 dodge charger 318 and intend to use this in the car. My trouble is i have not idea what torque converter i need as the origional one wont work. Has anybody done a swap like this before. INPUT?

amx364
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
That 10 year spread was during a time of a lot of transmission changes. IMHO I would change to the later style transmission instead. 727 ,904 or 4 speed automatic. If you want ovedrive for gas milage, then your choice is made. If you MUST use the 58 transmission, some of the very old transmission shops might have the needed infomation.

Now if you wanted to put a 2.2 or v-6 in it this forum is the correct place.

BIGBRUDDA
02-02-2012, 12:48 PM
2 completely different critters.
The 58 is a 318 polysphere motor, and the trans should be push button torqueflite. Which you're more or less stuck with it.Unless you want to switch to a late model steering column, or console shift.Which means abandoning the pushy- buttons. A bit more complicated and a cardinal sin amongst classic Mopar restoration.
I'm sure one of the hot rod torqueflite companies has the needed conversion parts for an( A block/late model 318) to push button transplant. It will be pricy $$$ but the best solution. A good push-button torqueflite is absolutley indestructible. And very very desirable to Mopar men.