PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, convertible glass just exploded

dwh4784
01-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Yep, as the title says my rear window just broke in an extraordinary fashion. I'm not sure what happened, as the top was about halfway down it bound up and shattered the rear glass. Should I get a hold of a cheapo "Safelite" type shop? Get one from the yard and install it myself? Or put in a piece of lexan? This is my DD so I need it functional ASAP. It is nice having rear defrost but not a deal breaker if I have to put in lexan.

amx364
01-27-2012, 10:11 PM
You will do this job twice. The first time you will cheap out and go plastic due to cost. Later you will replace with the right glass, as close to OEM as possible.
The labor is a weekend type job. It is easer to replace the whole top vs. just the back glass IMHO. lexan and duct tape till you have enough money to do this job just once.
And yes that was not what I did the first time, but will if it happens again.

MILKCARTON
01-27-2012, 10:13 PM
One of my old glh turbo's I had rear glass exploded because of the rear defrost, I guess it never shut off, sounded like a shotgun went off while i was driving it, i felt the rear glass, that was still hanging there because of the tint, and it was extremely hot.

dwh4784
01-27-2012, 10:35 PM
The top is in perfect condition, so no way am I having the whole thing replaced. I'll stick in a piece of cardboard with a saran wrap window shaped like a bunny before I do that.

RoadWarrior222
01-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Bummer :(

Here's a template for ya...
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/images/uploads/2011/04/playboy_0.jpg

dwh4784
01-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Looks nice but it isn't wide enough, I don't want it leaking around the sides.

Mopar318
01-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Is the top all one piece or is the window a separate piece? If it is separate you can just replace the window. A new glass window will run around 300-400 installed. If you wanted a plastic window they are a lot cheaper.

dwh4784
01-28-2012, 08:49 PM
From what I can gather the window itself is sewn into a separate piece, but installation of that piece requires removing at least some of the top. Right now it's too cold to even get all of the broken glass off so I just went with a piece of Lexan and used black duct tape to secure it. Hopefully it will get me through the winter and by this time next month I'll have a spare vehicle again anyway so I'll be able to get it done or do it myself in a less redneck fashion.

300-400 wouldn't be bad for a professional installation, I was afraid it would be more like 800-900!

Mopar318
01-28-2012, 08:50 PM
From what I can gather the window itself is sewn into a separate piece, but installation of that piece requires removing at least some of the top. Right now it's too cold to even get all of the broken glass off so I just went with a piece of Lexan and used black duct tape to secure it. Hopefully it will get me through the winter and by this time next month I'll have a spare vehicle again anyway so I'll be able to get it done or do it myself in a less redneck fashion.

300-400 wouldn't be bad for a professional installation, I was afraid it would be more like 800-900!

For 900 you can get a new top including installation. At least at our shop.

dwh4784
01-28-2012, 09:04 PM
When I'm ready for a new top I want to get one of the more fabric type ones rather than vinyl so it would probably cost a bit more. But I think mine has quite a few years left in it unless this window thing turns into a major issue.

supercharged024
02-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Do you have glass coverage? It's one of the cheapest things only a couple dollars a month and this would be covered no matter what happens. If you don't then do the cheap fix with plastic and duct tape, call and add the coverage, wait a month or two and call and say it just exploded(save the remanats and throw them in the back when they come to fix it). If dealing with the top is part of the repair then I believe that would also be covered.

Big_P
02-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Happened to me too on my '95. I chalked it up to it being a cool evening and the canvas top not flexing enough. I ended up buying flexible clear plastic that's used on boat covers. I used velcro to install it and it worked out pretty well.