PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end?

shadow88
07-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I have a stock t3 turbo on my car now, with a tbi header and a custom made intake monifold. This used to produce up to 22 psi with shimming the wastegate actuator and an adjustable bleed with stock manifolds.

Now it makes about 18 spike and falls back to about 15-16 psi with the bleed completely removed. Am I pushing this turbo too far? (I'm pretty sure I'm off the map now) Or should it be shimmed further? I have 2 cold start injectors that come on at 15 and 18 psi to add the additional fuel.

It's also spitting alot of oil out of the compressor housing. The temperature around here has been about 35 c or 95 f Maybe it's unfair to rule it out at these temperatures?

Any tips?

Dave
07-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Take the intake pipe off the turbo and feel for in and out or up and down shaft play. That wouldn't cause it to loose boost. An exhaust leak between the manifold and turbo, or a boost leak, or a dying WG can would cause a loss of boost.

My guess is your WG can is getting weak if you've already had to shim it, it's on its way out.

I'd invest into an adj. can.

shadow88
07-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I have an extra can and rod assembly in the garage somewhere. I'll give it a shot sometime soon and see what it does. The shimms were added originally to add boost up to 25 psi, not to compensate for a weak can.

The compresser wheel has a fair bit of up/down play (more than it should) but no in/out play. Too bad the thing's so hard to get to now...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/shadowt2/together/th_bigoldmess.jpg (http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/shadowt2/together/bigoldmess.jpg)

I know you love to ghetto engine bay.....:D

Dave
07-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Wow... that is ghetto. :thumb:

Anyways, up and down play is normal, just not a lot, but in and out is what is the key to a bad turbo, or going-bad turbo.

Try the new WG can and see what happens. BTW rocking the engine forward doesn't help to gain any extra access to the clip on the swingvalve. Tried it already.

2.216VTurbo
07-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Koni's, sweet:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
07-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Lots have overspun the stockers with no ill effects. I would just say your turbo is worn out, no big deal, they have to wear out sometime.