PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 vs 2.4

ohiorob
01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
96+ NA vs SRT-4 other then the obvious what's the diference. like is the SRT-4 block stronger then the old na. is the cylinder walls thicker on the SRT. why the small exhaust valves and ports, why the long threaded spark plugs, it makes for less plug choises and what horse power can be had out of the stock valve srt head. if you are just guessing please don't respond I done that already. plus if you got more info on ether that would help too.

contraption22
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Just an FYI, it's more of a year break than a turbo vs non-turbo. The changes were made to pretty much all the '03-up 2.4's.

Here is an article that shows many of the disticntions. But doesn't answer any of the "Why's".

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/3542/rebuilding_the_chrysler_24l.aspx

ohiorob
01-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Good stuff to know, thanks Mike

BadAssPerformance
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
+1 to Mike's link good info

As for the "why" I heard they went with smaller valves cuz the reshaped ports game them more flow so they didnt need as big of a valve to get the CFM they wanted.

Stock vs. stock the turbo head will outflow N/A... ported, they can both be cut similar to flow insane amounts.

ohiorob
01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
thanks JT. I have both engines and needed to decide what direction to go.

dodgeshadowchik
01-27-2012, 08:25 AM
+1 to Mike's link good info

As for the "why" I heard they went with smaller valves cuz the reshaped ports game them more flow so they didnt need as big of a valve to get the CFM they wanted.

Stock vs. stock the turbo head will outflow N/A... ported, they can both be cut similar to flow insane amounts.

It's probably similar with what they did with the 1g dsm head vs. the 2g head. The 2g has smaller ports but flowed better than the 1g.

+2 on the link... great info!

BadAssPerformance
01-27-2012, 10:19 PM
thanks JT. I have both engines and needed to decide what direction to go.

After the last oil pump failure in my first 2.4L I was having the same mental battle, except I didnt have either in hand, LOL. I ended up with the NA motor, mainly because I already had a head with work done too it that survived OK, and the SRT bottom ends are like gold for something I would only use the block and crank out of...

black86glhs
01-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Rob, I'll take the junk you don't want.....LOL!:D

Mopar318
01-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Turbo block has ports for oil and coolant feed/return. Also has the oil squirters. That would be worth it IMO just to clean things up for routing. But if you are building something from scratch you can get a complete long block 2.4 here for $130!

Also one really huge benefit is the bosses to bolt on the jack shaft for equal length shafts on the newer block.

BadAssPerformance
01-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Also has the oil squirters.

I heard those are only a benefit for stock pistons?

But if you are building something from scratch you can get a complete long block 2.4 here for $130!

NA or SRT? Where?

zin
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Squirters pull heat out of the piston dome maintaining the strength of the material, cast or forged, so they can help any piston last longer.

Mike

Mopar318
01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I heard those are only a benefit for stock pistons?

NA or SRT? Where?

Sorry, its actually $149.99. I think it went up a few bucks.

http://www.takeapart.biz/pricing.html

(http://www.takeapart.biz/pricing.html)That is for any 4 cylinder, and there are probally about ten 2.4 cars right now. Lots of vans, status's, and PT's with the NGC stuff. I have never seen a turbo 2.4 there yet, but always keeping an eye out. If there is its mine! If you want to make a trip over sometime I can help pull some engines.

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Awesome article.

Wonder if the RWD blocks fit FWD and why did they put the pistons so far down the hole?

coronet2fast
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I also have been wondering if there was an advantage to the newer block? With more PT's hitting the yards the newer 2.4 is now easy for me to obtain but so far I have only rob them of their lifters. If I could find a good reason to go with the newer 2.4 I would pull one.

BadAssPerformance
02-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I also have been wondering if there was an advantage to the newer block? With more PT's hitting the yards the newer 2.4 is now easy for me to obtain but so far I have only rob them of their lifters. If I could find a good reason to go with the newer 2.4 I would pull one.

Newer NA blocks? not sure if much better than older NA blocks?

coronet2fast
02-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Yeah newer NA. Figured I would run the older block since it would be easier to find heads for them and not have to worry about fitment.

moparman76_69
02-23-2012, 08:09 AM
The newer n/a 2.4 will let you run the srt head with no modifications, not sure how hard it is to add the squirters to it.

16valvecharger
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Big power 2.4s are actually removing the squirters. I believe for clearance and oil control issues.

contraption22
02-28-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't see the need for squirters in a true performance or race engine. People go through some effort to control windage, and keep oil off the rotating assembly.

ohiorob
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't see the need for squirters in a true performance or race engine. People go through some effort to control windage, and keep oil off the rotating assembly.

My thoughts exactly. I may go with the smaller oil pump too. I don't need 90 psi of oil pressure.

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Plus some say that as rpm climbs, the oil squirters really rob hp from the crank due to the mentioned windage. Wonder if anyone has actually tested it, doing a true back to back?

R/T
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Could be:

Volume *VS* Velocity: The smaller valve/port will increase the velocity of the air charge, and increase "snap" in throttle response. Sometimes smaller = faster.

Don't know if it makes a real difference when a turbo is pushing the air into the cylinder, though....

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Could be:

Volume *VS* Velocity: The smaller valve/port will increase the velocity of the air charge, and increase "snap" in throttle response. Sometimes smaller = faster.

Don't know if it makes a real difference when a turbo is pushing the air into the cylinder, though....

Wasn't the HH head +1 mm intake and -1 mm exhaust?

contraption22
02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Wasn't the HH head +1 mm intake and -1 mm exhaust?

Vs what?

I think you are confusing the HH head with the lore of the +1-1 8valve head.

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Vs what?

I think you are confusing the HH head with the lore of the +1-1 8valve head.

Could be. Its probably on the DDG but I seem to remember someone coming out with a +1 -1 head that made more power than a regularly sized head.

Mopar318
03-01-2012, 01:09 AM

No, but it is good if you want pick-a-part 500hp capable engines in stock...for us cheap people!