PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a SRT4

ShadowFromHell
01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Im looking at buying a SRT4 here in a the next couple weeks, what are the things I need to watch out for? I live in a rust free area so thats not a problem. I will be looking for any evidence of them being wrecked. What about what mods to stay away from? Any trouble spots?

Thanks!

roachjuice
01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
03 had small injectors. I heard 05's had trans problems more often than other years.

ShadowFromHell
01-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Yea I am going to stay away from 03's unless I can get a really good deal. More worried about the lack of the posi then the injectors.

135sohc
01-22-2012, 10:41 PM
3rd gear seems to have issues in those transmissions, seems to be more related to idiot driver abuse but keep that in mind cause the T-850 is one expensive paperweight to fix!

ATaylorRacing
01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Make sure it don't pop out of third gear when you are slowing down and when in thired.

If you have over 75000 miles and get it into the 12 second range both axles might break, drivers side first from my and others I know experience.

The 04-05 had the limited slip differential, 03 did not. The 03 was rated at 215 hp, the newer ones 230.

ShadowFromHell
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
How many miles are to many miles? I am currently looking at a 05 with 90k. I would prefer one with less miles but this car is rock stock, and that's why I am looking at it. IMO, a stock car with 90k should be in better shape then a modded, obviously beat on car with 50k. Also, do the 2gen neons have the same sunroof problems the 1gen cars did?

ATaylor, I will defiantly check that. I knew the 3rd gear issue is probably the biggest problem with these cars but wasn't sure how to "test" it. Thanks!

RoadWarrior222
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Babied for 150k beats beat-on for 40k

contraption22
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Steve M has over 250k on his 2005. It's been enjoyed, but well cared for. The trans has had some work. As stated, mileage means less than maintenance.

ShadowFromHell
01-25-2012, 02:53 PM
My thoughts exactly. Ive found a few with 60ish on them, but all have stickers, aftermarket wheels, exhaust... They look they have been rode hard. Has anyone had problems with their sunroofs?

RoadWarrior222
01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
If any vehicle has a sunroof, it's a problem waiting to happen.

Best take it to the good local glass guy and get it redone, to put it on for a few years. I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker, unless there's obvious water damage inside, or corrosion around the seal on the roof.

ShadowFromHell
01-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Im actually wanting a sunroof. My 88 shadow ES had one and I loved it. I just know the 1gens had alot of problems with theirs, to the point you are better of not opening them. A little googling shows there is a TSB and a $20 part needed to fix/update them. It came out in 04, so hopefully he 05 I am looking at already has this taken care of.

contraption22
01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Agreed. I would avoid a sunroof. Yes, I'd like to have one, but not as much as I hate rusty floors and the smell of moldy carpet. Like RW222 said... waiting to happen. I barely trust Chrysler weatherstripping in a vertical position.

roachjuice
01-25-2012, 06:30 PM
. I barely trust Chrysler weatherstripping in a vertical position.
lol word!!!!

RoadWarrior222
01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
It keeps the big stuff out fine... like rats, anyone ever get a rat in a standing parts car? no, never, see, few itty bitty mice, but no rats. Works just fine, nothing to see here, move along.

ShadowFromHell
01-27-2012, 10:37 PM
This is the car I am looking at

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2788981771.html

Guy seemed sketchy on the phone, so I am going to have a friend go look at it. The guy swears it stock other then the intake, but the exhaust doesnt look stock to me. The sticker on the side makes me think it has a aftermarket wastegate too...

dj'sr/t
01-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I thought the white SRT4s where all ACRs?

j4278h
01-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I thought the white SRT4s where all ACRs?

305 white acr
1376 white srt4 no acr

Mopar318
01-28-2012, 12:30 PM
This is the car I am looking at

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2788981771.html

Guy seemed sketchy on the phone, so I am going to have a friend go look at it. The guy swears it stock other then the intake, but the exhaust doesnt look stock to me. The sticker on the side makes me think it has a aftermarket wastegate too...

I see an Intake, exhaust, AGP wastegate, Check valve or something, missing injector cover, and maybe deleted solenoids, but its hard to tell.

dj'sr/t
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
I learned something new today. Thanks.

GLHNSLHT2
01-28-2012, 12:53 PM
rear bumper doesn't look stock,

Mopar318
01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Its a stock bumper but they did the mod where you heat and bend up the portion between the exhaust. Makes it look like a 4X4 IMO

GLHNSLHT2
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
interesting.

rich tideswell
01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
that exhaust is definitely not stock. look at the MAP and TIP wiring to see if that have been hacked into. judging the by "agp" sticker on the fender, i'd say that at one point this car had a big turbo kit on it at some point and was switched back to stock before being sold. "new turbo" in the ad confirms this in my mind, and judging by the painted exhaust manifold, i'd say it's "new to him".

j4278h
01-29-2012, 12:09 AM
here is a nice white one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-SRT-4-ACR-White-Sunroof-Kicker-audio-20K-miles-/130636660366?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e6a8d3e8e

RoadWarrior222
01-29-2012, 10:49 AM
In seeing how Mopar's (And most other manufacturers for that matter) white finishes have fared over a period of years, I'd call "nice white" an oxymoron.

(Maybe it's me, but white seems more than usually peel prone and rust prone)

DodgeZ
01-29-2012, 11:28 AM
My sunroof is giving me issues. It is clicking and not wanting to open. Now that car sits in my garage full time I am going to fix it. Well after I finish a few backed up projects.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neontsbs/2005/23-049-04.pdf

20 bucks for the 05174865AA repair parts

On the test drive, do lots of shifts in to 3rd. Most importantly are downshifts in to 3rd. Plan to have a grand for transmission issues. Go ahead and buy the parts now. LOL

TheCanadian007
01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
My sunroof is giving me issues. It is clicking and not wanting to open. Now that car sits in my garage full time I am going to fix it. Well after I finish a few backed up projects.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neontsbs/2005/23-049-04.pdf

20 bucks for the 05174865AA repair parts

On the test drive, do lots of shifts in to 3rd. Most importantly are downshifts in to 3rd. Plan to have a grand for transmission issues. Go ahead and buy the parts now. LOL

The sunroofs are fragile, but not too difficult to fix. As for the transmission issues, switch the fluid from ATF to Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage WITHOUT the friction modifier. To stop bending shift forks (assuming they aren't damaged yet) replace your stock shifter with a Maddog short throw shifter, or really any shifter with a positive gate stop. http://www.maddogsts.com/pricing.php

Using the stock shifter you'll actually 'over throw' the shift when driving under spirited conditions and it's this 'over throw' which adds strain to the brass shift forks and subsequently, they bend. Easy fix to solve the issue.

For those who are skeptical, Ed Peters explains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_toEAYSOB0&feature=player_embedded

ShadowFromHell
01-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Cant find a decent deal on a SRT that isnt thrashed. Did find a good deal on a 03 R/T. Little more practical for me and half of what I was going to spend on a SRT. Once its paid off I will swap it to a SRT motor/tranny and be happy :)

DodgeZ
01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
The sunroofs are fragile, but not too difficult to fix. As for the transmission issues, switch the fluid from ATF to Mobil 1 10w40 High Mileage WITHOUT the friction modifier. To stop bending shift forks (assuming they aren't damaged yet) replace your stock shifter with a Maddog short throw shifter, or really any shifter with a positive gate stop. http://www.maddogsts.com/pricing.php

Using the stock shifter you'll actually 'over throw' the shift when driving under spirited conditions and it's this 'over throw' which adds strain to the brass shift forks and subsequently, they bend. Easy fix to solve the issue.

For those who are skeptical, Ed Peters explains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_toEAYSOB0&feature=player_embedded

I hate to say it but after watching this I have to say I don't think he is as super smart as I use to. Maybe he is just getting older and is confused a bit. what's a 5/16 8mm? I guess he was trying to say 1/4drive 8mm socket? He put the TOB on backwards. Dirt, sand and water in the bellhousing? Who off roads their SRT (other than that one video). If they knew this why did they design such a shitty expensive as hell TOB fork? Did he design it? The torx bolts on the end plate aren't t-40 they are tp-40 or torx PLUS. The t40 is going to strip the heads. His organic comment kind of sucks too. Throw a cabbage outside and how long does it take to rott, well throw a cypress tree stump out and see how long it takes to rott. He talks so poorly about FM. It has been used for years and years in diffs with them same type of liner on the clutch pack disc. If ATF is so weak how do race cars with autos hold up so good? They need an extra machine to put the oil in the manual instead of atf and that is why they didn't do it from the factory? How does the FM get added? Doesn't that need another machine also? The newer truck diffs don't need it as they don't have clutch packs. After all the warranty issues why wasn't there a TSB to start using the 10w40?

So many questions... Kind of sad I missed the meet.

RoadWarrior222
01-30-2012, 10:52 AM
FM can be bad, a diff friction is not a clutch disk. Think about it, say you had some in a spray can you could put on your brakes (They're frictions right?) "Guaranteed to lock up every time" ... which would be perfect right?

DodgeZ
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
FM can be bad, a diff friction is not a clutch disk. Think about it, say you had some in a spray can you could put on your brakes (They're frictions right?) "Guaranteed to lock up every time" ... which would be perfect right?
what are you rambling about?

Polygon
02-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Just get a Maddog STS and you won't ever have to worry about that again. He will do a lot of custom work as well. He's doing me a custom shifter for my SRT-4 right now. When spring hits I'll be sending the shifter from the GTC to him to get shortened as well.

16valvecharger
02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I hate to say it but after watching this I have to say I don't think he is as super smart as I use to. Maybe he is just getting older and is confused a bit. what's a 5/16 8mm? I guess he was trying to say 1/4drive 8mm socket?

5/16 and 8mm socket are pretty much the same size.

roachjuice
02-15-2012, 11:00 PM
5/16 and 8mm socket are pretty much the same size.

8mm is .3149. 5/16 is .3125. Not the same thing. 2 thousandths off. Enough to round a bolt off IMO.

16valvecharger
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
8mm is .3149. 5/16 is .3125. Not the same thing. 2 thousandths off. Enough to round a bolt off IMO. You are right its only 2 thou off and will never round off a head of a 5/16 hose clamp using a 8 mm socket, the clamp will break before it rounds the bolt. Ed was just saying that the bolt under the shifter is a 5/16 or 8mm. In a machineist world thats a huge difference cause your working in thou but not enough to make a difference while adjusting a shifter.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

Ed also grew up in the "old days" when everything was standard measurement. probably the reason he uses the comparison.

DodgeZdad
02-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I can't talk for Ed, but 10w 40 oil might work in old school Dodges in hot weather, but is very hard to shift and if you WOT shift it will burn the syncros. I would guess that if you want to use motor oil in these transmissions instead of the correct fluid I would get a WOT box to save the Syncros.
You need a friction modifier in Automatic Transmissions and Manuel Transmissions that have fiber bands/syncro and ATF+4 is formulated for that purpose. Over 22 oil companies have been certified by Chrysler after paying for lab testing to insure they meet the standards to have the ATF+4 registered logo.
I don't know why Dodge required additional 4oz o FM other than a little better shift and it quiets gear mesh.

Polygon
02-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I just have a hard time switching from the factory fill without UOA to show an improvement. Anything else is just hearsay IMO.

ShadowFromHell
08-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Going to look at another one this wensday. Yellow, 03, DIRT cheap.