PDA

View Full Version : HELP: '85 Horizon 2.2L

Maco
01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Just purchased a brand new '85 Horizon in September and am new to the Mopar family.

Was getting ready to take the car out of storage, but will not run. I live in the MidWest, it's chilly.
Since it had been sitting for a bit i threw some higher octane fuel in it. It ran decent before storage.
First crank it started, but sounds like it was running on two cylinders and was chugging rich as can be.
Have to hold the pedal down just for it to barely putt and chug and it sounds awful.
When you let go of accelerator it cuts out. Now it will only crank and not fire.

Pulled the plugs last night and disconnected the coil.
So that i could get extra fuel out of the cylinders, for all the excessive cranking i had done.
When i had done this, fuel only splashed out of the first two cylinders and the others did not splash but plugs were wet.
Plugs look awful. Going to replace them today.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~Maco

Vigo
01-22-2012, 02:47 PM
If it wont idle and runs rich and badly when you open the pedal, sounds like your idle circuit passages are clogged with varnish. Are you getting spark to all cylinders?

Sounds like you will need to start by taking the carb off and examining it.

RoadWarrior222
01-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Just purchased a brand new '85 Horizon in September

Where? Do they have any left? :D

Yah sorry, I'm the class clown, welcome!

The oldskool trick for clogged carbs is to wrap a rag round your hand, aircleaner off, carb open, and have someone crank it while you suddenly close off the carb with your hand while it's cranking at a good clip.... uses the vacuum to suck it through... then if it gets running shaky, and lumpy, do it a few more times but at 2 or 3000 rpm until it nearly stalls.... then after that you can stick a can of fuel system cleaner in and run it through and things should be getting better with fresh gas.

Vigo
01-22-2012, 07:25 PM
I have seen that work, but never tried it.

I sort of wish i had a carb car now. Ive been doing a little reading and im feeling worked up. heheh

Maco
01-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions fellers.

Cleared the cylinders of any extra fuel once more, while the plugs were out.
Put fresh plugs in. It looked like the choke plate had a little restriction on swinging open.
All adjusted up. Started on the first crank. Purrrrs like a kitten.

Here's a couple picture of my little beast.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/MAKO_OH6/Car Horizon/IMG_0885.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/MAKO_OH6/Car Horizon/IMG_0886.jpg

Vigo
01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
That looks friggin sweet!!

"Top Fuel" Bender
01-22-2012, 09:00 PM
looks like my older brother
1980 Horizon

Abkshelby
01-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Love to see another L-body back alive.

RoadWarrior222
01-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Niccce.

Maco
01-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks. Yeah pretty nice shape for an '85. I was shopping for a Mini(Van), ran across this Horizon and could not say no. When i finish my other project, I plan to start collecting parts for a 2.4 swap. For now it runs great and will be the beater with a heater. What is the life expectancy of a 2.2? Mileage wise...

RoadWarrior222
01-23-2012, 07:06 AM
I don't think anyone can seriously say they wore one out where there wasn't some abuse or neglect involved... or high boost... but the head gaskets don't last forever, it'll need a timing belt every 100,000 or so... etc.... let's say they're good for at least 250,000 with reasonable care.

Abkshelby
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
The '85 2.2 will easily last as said above 250k or more.
Yours may actually last longer since it did not have lightweight pistons Chrysler started using in 1986.
Lots of them had piston issues very early on.
The carbueretor will be the main issue you have on this thing.
The holley carbs on these things were notorious for giving issues with clogged idle circuits and choke probs.
Just keep good gas in it and that will help.
Ethanol is not good for them though and it's all we have.

RoadWarrior222
01-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Supposedly, there's no ethanol in premium here, but I dunno if you want to pony up for that. However, if you did "commit" to it, you could advance base timing and get improved MPG and power. (Dunno if that's enough to compensate price differential, but it claws some back) Things will improve a bit though with "rolling upgrade" of fuel system parts, as you replace deteriorating hoses etc, because the new ones should be ethanol safe. IMO if you start out with a clean fuel system with new rubber parts in it, you'd find ethanolated gas an improvement long term. Trouble is, it attacks old rubber and mobilises old gum. It's mostly noticed as a problem when an area "suddenly" gets 10% and it's like shock treatment. Mid grade might be 5% so if your area switches, running that for a few months might help to gently clean it without loosening huge carb clogging chunks.... but if your area and the area it came from has had E10 the last few years, then it's probably pretty well cleaned out by now and it's just a question of how long older rubber holds up.

blk86trbo
01-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Your car seems pretty clean and has some unique colors...has it been stored? I'd suggest not using it in the salt if it's clean, as these cars really succumb to the tin worm...also, welcome to the forum :)

Maco
01-23-2012, 02:51 PM
RdWarrior - That's great news! My odometer says 70k, so i assume it has rolled over at least once. Maybe...

Blk86 - I was told it was a southern car. I just picked it up at the end of summer.
It is rust free and has been undercoated. The two tone is original. I have to drive it as a winter car,
because i would be heart broken to drive my summer vehicle in Illinois during winter.
I only plan on driving the Horizon in the salt this winter. I plan on moving out of IL by fall this year.

I was fascinated to learn that the Horizon was built in Belvidere, which is a hop and a skip away from me.
Also it may have gone through my parents line when they were working there.